56 days of the iPad - from a Fanboi

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
The Register is a really anti-Apple tech news site. My advice is try it out for yourself. It's a nice little tablet.

assagai

Expert Member
I have used it solidly for almost a month now, not getting bored of it at all. Haven't even switched on my laptop since I got it - haven't needed to.

docb

The Register is a really anti-Apple tech news site. My advice is try it out for yourself. It's a nice little tablet.
That article didn't seem anti-apple at all, infact it seemed pretty balanced.
And echos my sentiment regarding the ipad.
Nice to have, nice to hold, nice to play with on a couch...
Of which I spent about 1% of my day..
So it seems like the ipad isnt for me, or the guy writing the article..

PeterCH

Honorary Master
I have used it solidly for almost a month now, not getting bored of it at all. Haven't even switched on my laptop since I got it - haven't needed to.
Then you never needed a laptop but a crippled tablet all along. Most people are like that. They buy a laptop to do a few basic things - for them an iPad can work.

assagai

Expert Member
Then you never needed a laptop but a crippled tablet all along. Most people are like that. They buy a laptop to do a few basic things - for them an iPad can work.
Hehe, yes i just needed some basic functionality. Wouldn't call the ipad crippled though, it's a very well balanced device and in most cases "there's an app for that"

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Hehe, yes i just needed some basic functionality. Wouldn't call the ipad crippled though, it's a very well balanced device and in most cases "there's an app for that"
Of course 'there's an app for that' but that means wasted time finding one and you have to pay for it, no?

For $5-6K per month I could have a 25 yo attractive grad student with great cleavage accompanying me everywhere and being my PA. The point is how much you want to pay and for what you pay for the iPad and what it has and what you must pay extra - it's poor value for money.

Also the iPad should be a LOSS LEADER the way XBOX, PS3, Wii, PSP etc all are. It's an entry point for wide iTunes, Appstore, etc services where Apple gets a cut. It should be much cheaper for what it is. R8000+ is very expensive, when a Macbook is just R13K.

Last edited:

assagai

Expert Member
Of course 'there's an app for that' but that means wasted time finding one and you have to pay for it, no?

For $5-6K per month I could have a 25 yo attractive grad student with great cleavage accompanying me everywhere and being my PA. The point is how much you want to pay and for what you pay for the iPad and what it has and what you must pay extra - it's poor value for money.

Also the iPad should be a LOSS LEADER the way XBOX, PS3, Wii, PSP etc all are. It's an entry point for wide iTunes, Appstore, etc services where Apple gets a cut. It should be much cheaper for what it is. R8000+ is very expensive, when a Macbook is just R13K.
Most apps are pretty cheap, you have to buy software on any platform and ipad software is among the cheapest. As for the time wasted, it's just a matter of searching in ITMS, takes a few minutes. And agreed R8000 is too much, but that's not the real cost, just what people are selling the gray imports for. The 64GB 3G cost my sister R7000 in Australia, which is less that what most 16GB wifi models are selling for in South Africa.

Anyway lets agree to disagree, cos i do disagree. I love the ipad, it has been an aid to productivity (as a multitouch control surface for audio software it has been wonderful, and way way cheaper than any competing products in that field) and omg yes even entertaining. I know where you stand on the ipad but I'm very happy with mine.