5c/MB still not realistic says Vodacom

Viva

Expert Member
Posing a counter to the question of the real cost of mobile data in South Africa, Van Zyl asked that if it does cost 3-5 cents per MB and value to the customer is so paramount for the people making those statements, why are they selling it at such a massive markup? “The reality is it’s not at those points,” Van Zyl said.

Even if we choose to believe you Jannie then it still does not justify your R1/MB and R2/MB OOB rates. Not even close. Or why your promotions are more expensive and more restricting than Cell C and 8ta data promotions.

This. Assuming a cost price of 15c/MB, Jannie should ask himself that counter question.

“The reality is Vodacom is ripping of unsuspecting users” Viva said.

techead

Honorary Master
Jannie, how bout explaining the OOB thingy to us... why so high and why won't Vodacom budge on this? This is one of the main reason I avoid Vodacom data packages!

business model.

Im in the process of moving all my business away from VodaCON. Along with telling every person I see what a rip-off they are.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
“When we did the first MyBroadband conference we launched at that point in time 1GB of data for R600, today we sell it at R99,” Van Zyl said.

R99 for 1GB on promotion and only on a 24 month contract on a new sim. That's not standard pricing. Vodacom's standard pricing is R249 for 1GB. I know more about their products than their execs :erm:

BGE

Expert Member
R99 for 1GB on promotion and only on a 24 month contract on a new sim. That's not standard pricing. Vodacom's standard pricing is R249 for 1GB. I know more about their products than their execs :erm:

+1... well spotted!

JimM

Expert Member
I'm RICA'ing Cell C SIM cards like there's no tomorrow! Not only for the data prices but customers have found that BIS actually works on Cell C!!

Sorry Vodacom, you've seriously lost the plot... You don't have the 'top quality network' that you claim, it's actually a crock of poo! You charges for data and voice are misaligned globally as well as locally! It's time to wake up and smell the coffee or one day find that your customers disappear quicker than one of your very overpriced data bundles!

XRayA4T

And Why can I not get that 1GB bundle added to my voice contract? I have a phablet and make the occasional calls but I have to paid "voice" data costs. WTF is different between data on a voice contract vs data on a data contract?

drukkie

Expert Member
Vodacom's problem is that if they drop the price radically it will affect their network and net profit.
people will download more and congest the current netowrk to kingdome come.

Loose loose for them.

Cellc gets more customers....adds to bottom line on a not so used network.

Win Win.

dougatthewoods

And Why can I not get that 1GB bundle added to my voice contract? I have a phablet and make the occasional calls but I have to paid "voice" data costs. WTF is different between data on a voice contract vs data on a data contract?

It costs a s***load more. Other than that, nothing.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Ive noticed that my data costs has reduced by far ever since I started using Cell C. I used to buy 100MB of data for R49 from Vodacom, with cell C, that 100MB is R15.00. And Cell C's network is more stable than Vodacom's one where i stay.

So glad I moved to Cell C. I saw the light.

Devill

Damned
Leaving Vodacom for Cell C as soon as my current contract runs out.

Vodacom catch a fscking wake up. At least most of the south africans seem to be starting to see that MTN/Vodacom is ripping them off.

JimM

Expert Member
Vodacom's problem is that if they drop the price radically it will affect their network and net profit.
people will download more and congest the current netowrk to kingdome come.

But the Vodacom network is already congested (I'd used a less polite term normally) perhaps they could roam onto Cell C a far better quality network? :)

Allin

Expert Member
So, assuming he cost of data is not even 10c/Mb but 50% more. How do you justify OOB rates of up to R2/Mb? In an reply to a post here some time ago Jannie said that VC actually does not make a lot of moeny out of the OOB shark. If that is so, why bother with it then?

Randux

Expert Member
How can you charge people for something you don't know the cost of? This I don't get. . . . .

znh

5c/MB still not realistic, if your subsriber base suddenly halves and your shareholders expect the same returns.

Porsche Driver

How can you charge people for something you don't know the cost of? This I don't get. . . . .

Precisely why I believe Jannie is spewing bullshi t !

Jannie's statement(s) makes no sense, and certainly don't make any FINANCIAL sense.

Tomasz-London

The only thing that's not realistic is the profits Vodascum is making and the lies, deceit, rape, etc...

See Jannie, I'm not the only one that hates you and Vodascum!

Vote with your wallet and spread the word!

Last edited: