5G issues.

oradba69

I have sent the following email this morning to Rain.

I have had my 5g router now for 5 days and when it works the download speed is good(up to 300Mbps) upload is dismal (about 4Mbps).
Poynting is coming to fit an external antenna (hopefully tomorrow) and I hope that will help with my upload speed.
Here is my problem. 3 out of 4 nights it seems like I am losing connection which I discover at 4 in the morning when I get up and even after numerous reboots I eventually switch back to my trusty ADSL line until my 5G starts working again roughly between 6 and 7 in the morning. I hope it is due to work/maintenance on the tower I connect to because going forward this will be a real pain in the ass.

Sincerely hope somebody will contact me regarding this since email queries seldom gets answered.
IMG_1501.jpeg IMG_E1502.jpeg

Last edited:

oradba69

Have just been contacted by a Rain representative so holding thumbs that the issue can be resolved soon. Will keep updating this thread.

Thor

Honorary Master
Anyone else have that horrible upload speeds?

labratza

Expert Member
seems to be the majority of people with the upload, wish I could test but they dont seem to like me lol as I know couple of KM up road from me people are using the 5G and getting fantastic speeds

BradleyKZN

Expert Member

I have had my 5g router now for 5 days and when it works the download speed is good(up to 300Mbps) upload is dismal (about 4Mbps).
Poynting is coming to fit an external antenna (hopefully tomorrow) and I hope that will help with my upload speed.
Here is my problem. 3 out of 4 nights it seems like I am losing connection which I discover at 4 in the morning when I get up and even after numerous reboots I eventually switch back to my trusty ADSL line until my 5G starts working again roughly between 6 and 7 in the morning. I hope it is due to work/maintenance on the tower I connect to because going forward this will be a real pain in the ass.

Sincerely hope somebody will contact me regarding this since email queries seldom gets answered.
View attachment 724384 View attachment 724386
What area are you in?

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Anyone else have that horrible upload speeds?
Most people I see have that upload speed, but im sitting with 50mbps upload, but my downloads aren't great. I would prefer higher downloads then uploads.

chakniks

Did they resolve this for you, what speeds are you currently getting?

oradba69

OK, seems like things are settling on my 5G. Uploads are still slow but for the rest it seems like my intermittent problems are gone. The antenna saga still continues(not Rain related) and I will update this link as soon as I have all the info.

chakniks

Cool, glad things are getting back to normal.
Please do post a speed test if you don't mind, when you have a chance

oradba69

9bf3597b32fb825b3c985e7881a3874b.jpg

Supes

Hey
Did you ever sort out the antenna issues?
I managed to get one of these https://poynting.tech/product/omni-600-02/ from Takealot but as soon as I plug it in, the router drops the 5G connection and stays on 4G till I unplug it.
I tried playing around with the antenna settings on the router, tried both antenna ports, etc, same result every time.

Marcell1992

Hey
Did you ever sort out the antenna issues?
I managed to get one of these https://poynting.tech/product/omni-600-02/ from Takealot but as soon as I plug it in, the router drops the 5G connection and stays on 4G till I unplug it.
I tried playing around with the antenna settings on the router, tried both antenna ports, etc, same result every time.

Sounds like they gave you the wrong antenna and it isn't 5g compatible.

Supes

Sounds like they gave you the wrong antenna and it isn't 5g compatible.
That was my initial thought as well, but it would mean something dodgy is going with either Poynting or Takealot.
Pic of the product code/SN on the antenna which matches the one in their tech specs:

cavedog

Honorary Master
That was my initial thought as well, but it would mean something dodgy is going with either Poynting or Takealot.
Pic of the product code/SN on the antenna which matches the one in their tech specs:
View attachment 730677

From what I read 5G NSA need to have 4x4 mimo on the download channel and 2x2 mimo on the upload channel. Huawei routers drop the mimo as soon as an external is plugged in because there are only 2 antenna plugs at the back where as with the internal antennas they have 4 or more build in.

This is probably the reason why it's not working. I have yet to see a router with more than 2 antenna ports. With 4G 4x4 mimo is optional. When using a router with 4x4 mimo and using the internal antennas it will use 4x4 mimo and once you plug and external antenna the mimo drops to normal 2x2 mimo.

That is why Rain uses an external unit for 5G customers with poor coverage instead of supplying an antenna. If you are struggling with speed and coverage it might be better for you to ask to have them install an external unit.

Return the poynting antenna unless you want to use it for LTE.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
I'd not call it 5G... Maybe 4.5G given that much is still being developed and it's a hybrid 4/5G network.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master

View attachment 724384 View attachment 724386
What 5G equipment is being implemented here, the 6Ghz + stuff for longer range, or do we gave mm spectrum here? If it's mm spectrum then you really do need to be close to make proper use of it.

Supes

From what I read 5G NSA need to have 4x4 mimo on the download channel and 2x2 mimo on the upload channel. Huawei routers drop the mimo as soon as an external is plugged in because there are only 2 antenna plugs at the back where as with the internal antennas they have 4 or more build in.

This is probably the reason why it's not working. I have yet to see a router with more than 2 antenna ports. With 4G 4x4 mimo is optional. When using a router with 4x4 mimo and using the internal antennas it will use 4x4 mimo and once you plug and external antenna the mimo drops to normal 2x2 mimo.

That is why Rain uses an external unit for 5G customers with poor coverage instead of supplying an antenna. If you are struggling with speed and coverage it might be better for you to ask to have them install an external unit.

Return the poynting antenna unless you want to use it for LTE.
Ahh, that certainly does make sense. Thanks for the info, will probably end up returning it then.
Cheers

Reactions: Yuu