5G spectrum allocation placed on hold by ICASA due to satellite interference

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has issued a moratorium on spectrum assignments in the 3.6GHz – 3.8GHz band, effectively locking out new applicants for acquiring spectrum in this band.

The primary fixed wireless access (FWA) operator in this band is Rain, as it uses its trance of spectrum in this band to operate its 5G home Wi-Fi products.

In its moratorium, ICASA noted that these 5G operations were causing harmful interference with transmissions from satellites that operate in the same spectrum band.

Swa

Honorary Master
To mitigate the effect of its operations on satellite transmission, Rain said it optimises its network in affected areas to reduce signal levels and it also supplies satellite operators with appropriate filters where required.
Is this why service in those areas is kak?

system32

Expert Member
The C-Band (3.4 - 4.2 GHz) is used by many satellite (from space) services.
Not sure who in ZA (DSTV, OpenView?)

McGuywer

Executive Member
So is satellite transmission as harmful to people as 5G is speculated to be?

ilikepi

Betting Telkom complained because Rain is doing better than they are...

Reactions: pks

ghostRgg

One of these days, Icasa will be begging Starlink for License fees.
I mean, it would be stupid not to want Starlink in the country. Unless... DSTV try some new low orbit streaming sport package for $169 pm :ROFL:

But seriously, ICASA needs to wake the hell up about their License fees and specific ones. You can't get half of the licenses you need because they "aren't available anymore" and half the sections are just blanket covers so even if you had a small project you would end up paying the same price as somebody who has some long term giant project with massive capital behind them.

Swa

Honorary Master
I mean, it would be stupid not to want Starlink in the country. Unless... DSTV try some new low orbit streaming sport package for $169 pm :ROFL:

But seriously, ICASA needs to wake the hell up about their License fees and specific ones. You can't get half of the licenses you need because they "aren't available anymore" and half the sections are just blanket covers so even if you had a small project you would end up paying the same price as somebody who has some long term giant project with massive capital behind them.
We need new legislation that will remove Icasa from the picture and just make them a rubber stamping company. There needs to be a new consolidated license that is open to anybody. There should be no grounds on which to refuse a license.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Betting Telkom complained because Rain is doing better than they are...
I don't think rain is doing better than anyone.

Besides, rain is just the middle man for Vodacon.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I know of one or two. It's not necessarily broadcast, it's also other communication services.

Eugene Opperman

I can now already see those conspiracy theorists hopping on their chairs not understanding (or don't want to understand) what is really meant with "harmful interference". Lol.

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has issued a moratorium on spectrum assignments in the 3.6GHz – 3.8GHz band, effectively locking out new applicants for acquiring spectrum in this band.

The primary fixed wireless access (FWA) operator in this band is Rain, as it uses its trance of spectrum in this band to operate its 5G home Wi-Fi products.

In its moratorium, ICASA noted that these 5G operations were causing harmful interference with transmissions from satellites that operate in the same spectrum band.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Dstv/Openview is Ku band. Starsat is Ka band.

The C band in tv here in SA, is mostly used for signal distribution, to beam some 3rd party channels to Africa. I think it is dstv and starsat that is complaining.
1613817197772.jpeg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

What a joke! I am going to wake up every night a roll about laughing.