5G spectrum in South Africa is not coming any time soon

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
5G spectrum in South Africa is not coming any time soon

Communication Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has released the policy on high demand spectrum and policy direction on the licensing of a wireless open-access network (WOAN).

The policy document punts the benefits and the need for the open-access wireless network for South Africa to increase competition and benefit consumers.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
In short, this means that mobile operators will not get any additional 5G spectrum this year.

It also means that the launch of commercial 5G services may be delayed for any telecoms companies which do not already have 5G spectrum.
do you think they will get 4G spectrum this year......???? [i'll help: no & probably not in 2020 either]
the fact that govt is getting prepped for 5G should be welcomed, hardly bad news

Thor

Honorary Master
Listened to Boris Johnson's speech yesterday.

The UK wants to be the 5G and fast broadband leaders of the world, would be nice if government sa can try to aim for at least 10% of that. Digital is the future, it's the only way to stop crime and murder.

Reactions: Yuu

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Realistically there's no real need for further 5G spectrum this year, we are not going to get massive rollout in the next 12 months anyway.... When looking at the major networks.

The_MAC

Executive Member
That is what is behind the whole woan thing. Another SOE milk
The idea is noble - but not with this regime

It's similar to Government laying ducts throughout the city, and allowing all fibre providers to blow fibre though them, so as not to dig up pavements every year and bring down the cost - but even that would be surrounded with corruption and price inflation

Joseph matane

So luckily Telkom and Rain has 5G spectrum in sub 6Ghz about Rain there is a light at the end of tunnel because Vodacom will roam on Rain 5G network, in short rain will continue to offer cheaper deals

Swa

Honorary Master
The idea behind a WOAN is good. It would be most effective in rural areas with the digital dividend. Operators don't really want that spectrum but they want it easier to roll out in less lucrative areas. It would solve both problems. I just don't trust it to go right and it will end up being another Infraco.

I still say the best way forward is to assign it to multiple smaller geographic operators and have the networks roam on each other.

do you think they will get 4G spectrum this year......???? [i'll help: no & probably not in 2020 either]
the fact that govt is getting prepped for 5G should be welcomed, hardly bad news
Which 4G spectrum? From what I know almost all of it has been assigned. Spectrum is really technology agnostic and existing spectrum could be used for 5G as well.

Realistically there's no real need for further 5G spectrum this year, we are not going to get massive rollout in the next 12 months anyway.... When looking at the major networks.
When then? Do you want to delay it another 12 so we don't get massive rollout in either the next 12 months or the 12 after that? That's what happens with delays, they only make things take longer where we could have started right now.

So luckily Telkom and Rain has 5G spectrum in sub 6Ghz about Rain there is a light at the end of tunnel because Vodacom will roam on Rain 5G network, in short rain will continue to offer cheaper deals
I'd prefer Vodacom not to roam on Rain and degrade the service even further.

Reactions: Yuu

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The idea behind a WOAN is good. It would be most effective in rural areas with the digital dividend. Operators don't really want that spectrum but they want it easier to roll out in less lucrative areas. It would solve both problems. I just don't trust it to go right and it will end up being another Infraco.

I still say the best way forward is to assign it to multiple smaller geographic operators and have the networks roam on each other.

Which 4G spectrum? From what I know almost all of it has been assigned. Spectrum is really technology agnostic and existing spectrum could be used for 5G as well.

When then? Do you want to delay it another 12 so we don't get massive rollout in either the next 12 months or the 12 after that? That's what happens with delays, they only make things take longer where we could have started right now.

I'd prefer Vodacom not to roam on Rain and degrade the service even further.
I was trying to make a level headed counter to the doom and gloom take from the staff writer.

ShaunyCT

The longer it takes 5G to be here, the better. I don't want this killing machine.

kyuubi64

Interested how Rain is doing with their 5G testing as they have been testing for a few months now and they said they already had the spectrum

Swa

Honorary Master
Interested how Rain is doing with their 5G testing as they have been testing for a few months now and they said they already had the spectrum
5G on existing spectrum. That will be about 3x better than LTE-A. 6Ghz+ is needed for the real benefits of 5G.

Stevewarren

For me the latency and stability is more important in 5g vs 4g. Data prices will have to drop massively for me to need over 100mb connection.

Reactions: Swa

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Regulators in the US, much of Europe, Australia, many countries in Asia - have auctioned the mid-band 5G spectrum already (and some low-band) to get the ball rolling. Those countries are already switching on 5G on that spectrum. Those countries realise the link of LTE and 5G to economic growth and competitiveness. South Africa has yet to assign its 4G spectrum. We're sitting at 0.6% GDP growth, which is actually going backwards.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
thanks....
we all know what spectrum we are talking about and have been for the last decade