7-year-old gets medical marijuana to combat chemo

mercurial

MyBB Legend
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A 7-year-old girl suffering from leukemia is one of Oregon's youngest medical marijuana patients.

Her mother says she gives her daughter marijuana pills to combat the effects of chemotherapy, but her father, who lives in North Dakota, worries about the effects of the drug on her brain development.

Mykayla Comstock was diagnosed with leukemia last spring. Her mother treats her with a gram of cannabis oil daily, The Oregonian reported.

Mykayla's mother credits the drug for the leukemia's remission. "As a mother, I am going to try anything before she can potentially fall on the other side," said Erin Purchase, 25, who with her boyfriend administers Mykayla's cannabis.
Source

RiaX

Expert Member
medical cannabis has almost zero halucinagenic affects..
(you dont get high)
Its not the hallucinogenic effect that causes the stunted development of the brain. Cannibis slows and degrades brain tissue. There was a thread posted about it in the science section.

I dont know about medical grade cannibinoids but I assume their euphoric effects are toned down through modification, however the effect on the body is far more potent as they designed to be potent

Sensorei

Expert Member
Cannabis oil is not like regular ganja. It is very concentrated and extremely high in thc and other cannabinoids. Many people have used it to treat and in many cases put some cancers in remission. There are many studies available on pubmed that mention how the marijuana extract causes apoptosis in cancer cells. The cancer basically eats itself. Obviously the FDA works not buy into that because the DEA gets involved.

A common name for the extract used by cancer sufferers is phoenix tears. A quick google will show many people who's cancer went into remission with this treatment.

I don't even smoke or use marijuana so I have no hippy angle here.

Sensorei

Expert Member
The NCI's (National Cancer Institute) website even made a big announcement that cannabis' extracted thc oil has cured cancer but due to pressure from the FDA they were forced to change the article after 2 weeks.

RiaX

Expert Member
The NCI's (National Cancer Institute) website even made a big announcement that cannabis' extracted thc oil has cured cancer but due to pressure from the FDA they were forced to change the article after 2 weeks.
interesting.

What bull**** is this brain tissue damage caused by the plant? Get educated people, and not by reading doctrine pushed onto you by religious/government folk who paid a couple of scientists to publish that bull**** compared with the thousands of others who contradict that.

+1 on the cancer thing, I wish my gran would have allowed my grandad/aunt to get the oil, but noooooo

_Hecate_

Expert Member
I get the oil for my friend with cancer. She doesnt take it often though cause it does cause hallucinations. And its only a drop ... so definitely stronger.

I would give it to my child too if I was the mother.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
medical cannabis has almost zero halucinagenic affects..
(you dont get high)
I think you are thinking of Marinol.

Medical grade cannabis, can be extremely strong.

You are correct though about the hallucinations, weed doesn't cause hallucinations under normal circumstances.

*edit*

Although, can you clarify what you mean 'hallucinogenic'?

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Its not the hallucinogenic effect that causes the stunted development of the brain. Cannibis slows and degrades brain tissue. There was a thread posted about it in the science section.

I dont know about medical grade cannibinoids but I assume their euphoric effects are toned down through modification, however the effect on the body is far more potent as they designed to be potent
Really?

a new review suggests that drugs similar to marijuana’s active ingredients may hold promise for preventing— or even reversing— brain aging and possibly Alzheimer‘s and other degenerative brain
http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/29/how-cannabinoids-may-slow-brain-aging/#ixzz2Daq9QPCr

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Some lab tests on rodents.
RiaX would enjoy this article.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/100/2/627.long

Exposure of murine tumor cells of immune origin to THC in vitro leads to a reduction in cell viability and induction of apoptosis.
I follow Mykayla on facebook, that is where these articles come from :)

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I think you are thinking of Marinol.

Medical grade cannabis, can be extremely strong.

You are correct though about the hallucinations, weed doesn't cause hallucinations under normal circumstances.

*edit*

Although, can you clarify what you mean 'hallucinogenic'?
Marinol is synthetic THC.
There are also genetically modified plants that have zero or next to zero THC. No high at all but all the other cannabinoids. This stuff is used to help children with epilepsy with great effect.

RiaX

Expert Member
What bull**** is this brain tissue damage caused by the plant? Get educated people, and not by reading doctrine pushed onto you by religious/government folk who paid a couple of scientists to publish that bull**** compared with the thousands of others who contradict that.

+1 on the cancer thing, I wish my gran would have allowed my grandad/aunt to get the oil, but noooooo
Eat a couple nightshades. Just because its natural doesn't mean it's safe to consume

HOWEVER

As I stated before and still hold, if modern medicine can't help you then it doesn't matter