Just out of interest, why?
I do not see any mention that the police messed up the investigations. From what I have read and heard this far the DNA came back with negative matches to the people in front of courts.
Should he go because he did not pull their dicks and get semen on the test kits before sending it for DNA analysis? Because, everything else I would say the police did pretty much what was expected from them.
The police had no suspects in custody who could be linked to the DNA evidence gathered. This in the run-up to a very badly handled situation by Bheki Cele. The police conducted an operation in which stolen items were recovered, and still couldn't establish probable suspects as the case is now. In the court, the case was postponed to await the DNA results, even though not a single suspect was keyed in the identity parade*. This would mean that the police would have to discover more suspects than to wait on DNA results.
For now, the alleged suspects will remain in custody, being in contravention with the Immigrations Act, and will be heard on November 1st.
Then there is Truter's involvement,
The former police officer has been charged with theft and defeating the ends of justice after items belonging to one of the women were found in her possession.
www.news24.com
Former warrant officer arrested in Krugersdorp gang rapes case
The former police officer, Dolphina Truter, 49, was used by the music video crew to scout locations in the area. She recommended Cowboy Town and assured them the nearby mine dump was safe to work at.
...
Truter was charged with theft and defeating the ends of justice.
"It was discovered by the investigating officer that the woman had in her possession property that belongs to one of the victims of rape," said Muridili.
...
At the shoot, Truter was with her son and daughter.
...
Ray and the producer previously told News24 that Truter was placed in a car by the criminals and stayed there during the attack.
When the men finally finished the attack, Truter drove in convoy, leading the whole film crew to the police station to report the crime.
Truter is expected to join the 14 men, accused of the attack, in the dock on 28 November.
The case against the men was postponed for DNA testing.
and she's in trouble being caught with a victim's stolen property, the NPA could argue complicity. The police have more time to conclude their investigation with the matter resuming on November 28, but I don't expect new suspects with the time which has lapsed.
*Regarding the identity parade,
The National Prosecuting Authority has withdrawn rape charges against 14 men arrested after the Krugersdorp attack that saw eight women gang raped in July.
www.news24.com
During the parade, said Mjonondwane, three of the victims pointed out the men as their attackers. The other five could not identify anyone.
DNA from the men identified by the victims was taken to determine if they could be linked to the rapes.
"We decided to enrol the matter in court as we were confident that we had a prima facie case [against the men] and all that we had to do was wait for the DNA results."
According to Mjonondwane, the results did not link any of the 14 accused to the rapes.
The NPA met with the victims, who said they may have been mistaken during the identity parade.
"We can't really blame them because they were traumatised and scared at the time because they had just been raped. We understand the state they were in," said Mjonondwane.
"We are back to square one and are still investigating, looking for the suspects," she said.
They are back to square one all right, but the problem was the NPA being convinced that they had a Prima Facie case when they did not. The same happened in the Brendin Horner case. First impressions are not enough, and you are in the view that they did pretty much as expected. They had an enormous scope, and they went with the least. They better pull up their socks to produce new suspects in 4 weeks time, but they will settle with Truter.