88% of the network equipment used at Home Affairs offices is obsolete

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
For a passport, I tried online but I am with ABSA and no ABSA branch does that in the Western Cape for some reason. Unless I missed it somehow.
Damn that sucks. I have been battling to pay them online since February this year but managed to get it to work by changing it to a maxi passport yesterday(I am in JHB using ABSA).

My sisters friend did say that for passports everything is digital now so hopefully it wont be so bad for you when you go to home affairs.

wernervn

The bronze service used by many of Home Affairs offices provides only a single 2Mbps copper-based ADSL connection with no backup in place.

Damn
If public service were a priority, then this state of affairs (pun intended) would have been resolved years ago.

cda

Why does this story remind me of the South Park episode about Intellilink?

1630490479863.png

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Dear State of South Africa,
I can solve your problems using SD-WAN.
You're welcome.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Brings much clarity to the New South African universal catchphrase of the system is offline™.

rh1

Expert Member
88% is a pass in this country
Home Affairs dont care, as long as Solitaire works

SBI Employee Playing Solitaire on her desk as customers wait - Teekhi Mirchi
I was going to refute you and say, this look like india, but remember walking through government departments when Western Cape was under the ANC, and seeing the exact same thing on multiple screens. I later spoke to a guy who complained that DA wants them to work to hard, under the ANC, he had a fraction of the workload and had more free time to walk about.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
"88% of the network equipment used at Home Affairs offices is obsolete" - As are the people sitting there and being paid by us.

I can't say working there because that'll be lying.

Danie_V

Journalism needs to go deeper than one official blaming another entity. It's good now that the real issues are surfacing, so the attention goes to the right place to address it. The finger often points back to yourself ;-)

blah99

Expert Member
I'm so glad the ANC is destroying itself. Littlebit by littlebit.

Now if only their dumb voters will wake up.

Mekon

Expert Member
Thieves and liars in charge, what could possibly go wrong?

grok

Honorary Master
88% is a record! Bonuses for all.

It should be 100% - 30%ers..

Zumanomics.

Veridion

Let who ever runs the Covid vaccination system take over home affairs.

The entire home affairs department costs to much to run and does very little work.

Cius

Executive Member
The ANC is very good at ensuring that they drive the latest and best equipment home, Audi's, Mercs, BMW's etc. They do not put as much effort into making sure civil servants actually have usable equipment to do their job, or that competent people are doing the job and managing the team.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Dear State of South Africa,
I can solve your problems using SD-WAN.
You're welcome.

That would kind of require some sort of decent physical infrastructure, which according to SITA, these numbskulls don't pay for...

I'd hate to try and manage an SD-WAN implementation on 2mb ADSL links.

Louis72

Expert Member
A 2mbps ADSL line?? So obviously Telkom is involved.

In what world would it have been that hard to even just have a Telkom LTE connection for those branches?

Uptime would be way better along with much higher speeds and no cable theft to worry about.
If they can manage with 2mbps surely a 10mbps LTE link would be Christmas in July for them.

Ashez7

heard a story from a colleague of mine that he was meant to get scans for x-ray at a public clinic but the pc was not working for months. Turns out the network cable was missing he could see this. He bought a cable and saved people from waiting months for there x-rays.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
A 2mbps ADSL line?? So obviously Telkom is involved.

In what world would it have been that hard to even just have a Telkom LTE connection for those branches?

Uptime would be way better along with much higher speeds and no cable theft to worry about.
If they can manage with 2mbps surely a 10mbps LTE link would be Christmas in July for them.

Yussie no.

Home Affairs branches should be on a business critical fibre link at the very least wherever it is available (and preferrably on 2 if they can do it), and if not then on something like a business class direct wireless link with "residential" type of backups such as LTE available in the very few instances where the business class main link fails.