8ta’s big plans for high speed mobile broadband

This is different, i just hope they can spread coverage more than the other providers including rural areas. :)

You guys can use Stanger as a testing ground too, we referred to as a farm sometimes lol.

This is very exciting news!

Been an 8ta subscriber now for almost a year and still extremely happy with their service.

Go 8ta!! :love:

Haven't they been doing that already for quite a while?

Whenever my 4Mb ADSL line acts like a 384k one due to congestion at the exchange, I test the 8ta speed, and it shows the exact same result.

The 8ta tower I am connecting to is mounted right against the exchange that my ADSL line is going through.

8TA is the new Vodacom while Vodacom is quickly becoming the new Telkom. Times they are a changing.

This looks interesting, but I must wonder what the point is.

If you have ADSL at home, why would you want a Femtocell unit at your place that uses your ADSL so that your phone can use 3G via your ADSL?

Do you want to pay R2 per megabyte for using your own ADSL? (or whatever OOB they offer). Just switch to WIFI when you are home for crying out load.

And if 8ta plans to use _my_ ADSL to serve my neighbors 3g they can forget about it. :D

This looks interesting, but I must wonder what the point is.

If you have ADSL at home, why would you want a Femtocell unit at your place that uses your ADSL so that your phone can use 3G via your ADSL?

Do you want to pay R2 per megabyte for using your own ADSL? (or whatever OOB they offer). Just switch to WIFI when you are home for crying out load.

And if 8ta plans to use _my_ ADSL to serve my neighbors 3g they can forget about it. :D

The point of a femtocell is to offload traffic from towers. So that you get the same or better speeds and so does your neighbour or the guy at the opposite end of the road.

With data networks the more you utilise the network the more noise you create, this effects everyone on that network in that area. So if they can offload high data users to wifi or femtocells the health of the network increases.

Brings me back to what I always say on this forum, 3G, HSPA+ and even LTE are no replacement for fixed line access.

Dunno where the guys in the articles comments are from, but I'm in Durban and have had great speeds.

The point of a femtocell is to offload traffic from towers. So that you get the same or better speeds and so does your neighbour or the guy at the opposite end of the road.

With data networks the more you utilise the network the more noise you create, this effects everyone on that network in that area. So if they can offload high data users to wifi or femtocells the health of the network increases.

Brings me back to what I always say on this forum, 3G, HSPA+ and even LTE are no replacement for fixed line access.

Exactly! To go one step further they could pull a WISP type option where you get rebates for other people using your excess bandwidth. Say you have a 40Mbps line and you get a Telkom/8ta gateway/femtocell that allows you to access at whatever speed you buy (say 24Mbps) and the rest to be used by 8ta.

Now imagine all the coffee shops, major offices etc, you could get some really nice fast data access in really congested areas and you wouldn't have to deal with open, unsecured wifi networks.

Glad to see my 42Mb dongle might not be a waste after all...

Do they update their coverage, cos to me it looks like it does not change?
I need some prepaid data urgently and 8ta looks the best option, but I am not covered.

i sometimes reach 11Mbps on 8ta...very happy for over six months now...Im using at&t branded modem(hauwei)...come August Im joining 8ta for voice too, currently im on MTN...

Back