8ta towers in Claremont, CT area - Speed tests/log (Auto)

Rocco1

Does anyone have an 8ta 60GB+60GB package that lives in the Claremont area (Cape Town)?

I am looking at buying this package, but am hearing many of you are struggling with download speeds, etc.

Would anyone who has this package in the area care to do me a massive favour and use this automatic hourly speedtest http://testmy.net/auto - its really quite cool:D - though servers only in the USA.

Please log the reports at least over 24 hours (more would be great) and post the log on this page?

Would definitely help me make a decision on whether to get the bundle or not.

Many thanks!!

akescpt

Honorary Master
check out Sensorei's comment in this thread http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/430355-8ta-s-10GB-for-R199-mobile-data-promotion-extended:

'I have the 60gb + 60gb and don't recommend it if you are in Rondebosch/Claremont, Cape Town. It has gotten consistently slower and I get constant disconnects. Downloading big files is a nightmare. Having to download a 200MB file 3 times because of disconnects (wasting as much as you download) is ridiculous. It was awesome for the first month or so but then... '

Telkom

Expert Member
Company Rep
Hi Rocco1!

Not everyone's experience is exactly the same in Cape Town or any other part of the country where we have coverage. It would be ideal if you test our service and provide feedback on that. Our prepaid offer provides R40 for 100Mb for you to ample testing and provide your own logs and definitely assist you with making the decision. SIM card is R1. There are no responses to your request for logs unfortunately, but if there are and it IS slow - we will require the user's information to investigate the matter.

Hi akescpt!

Do you have a reference number with us so we can follow up with your query? If not - can you please complete the template on our sticky so we can formally investigate?

Regards,
Social Media Team

Last edited:

akescpt

Honorary Master
Hi Rocco1!

Not everyone's experience is exactly the same in Cape Town or any other part of the country where we have coverage. It would be ideal if you test our service and provide feedback on that. Our prepaid offer provides R40 for 100Mb for you to ample testing and provide your own logs and definitely assist you with making the decision. SIM card is R1. There are no responses to your request for logs unfortunately, but if there are and it IS slow - we will require the user's information to investigate the matter.

Hi akescpt!

Do you have a reference number with us so we can follow up with your query? If not - can you please complete the template on our sticky so we can formally investigate?

Regards,
Social Media Team
no issues my side. just monitoring. thinking of 60+60 but a bit concerned that some people experience declines after they purchase the 60+60

Tinuva

The Magician
I don't know about Claremont, but in town CBD I get pretty damn good speeds, to a server in Switzerland, I could download @ 4.6mbit/sec down and upload 2mbit/sec, pretty decent if you ask me. This is however on my cellphone so that could be something.

Telkom

Expert Member
Company Rep
I don't know about Claremont, but in town CBD I get pretty damn good speeds, to a server in Switzerland, I could download @ 4.6mbit/sec down and upload 2mbit/sec, pretty decent if you ask me. This is however on my cellphone so that could be something.
Hi Tinuva!

Thank you for your positive feedback. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Social Media Team

saor

Honorary Master
Just had the technician here (Rondebosch / Newlands) to do some tests (I reported speed problems and disconnects). I'm only online in the evenings so it was a surprise to do a speedtest at this time of day and get results like this:

The problem is obviously capacity, and the tech said he was one of the most busy in the Western Cape (he deals with the Southern suburbs). The slow speeds in the evenings seem to be a common problem in the area.

Anyway - he gave me the Mobile Partners dashboard to use to see if it helps with the disconnection problems. I can only hope the powers that be take note and add capacity so that download speeds aren't so severely affected in the evenings and over weekends. If that's sorted out - I'll definitely get a better 8ta package rather than the 2+1 each month.

Edit: Also - thanks to 8ta / Telkom for calling back when you said you would, and for arriving on time.

Rodders007

I stay on the border of Rondebosch and Newlands in Cape Town - also have the 60gb+60gb promo - have noticed the sudden speed reductions in the area. When I got the package about 4 months ago speeds were really good, however today speeds are around 1.5mb/s on download (compared my Vodacom laptop which does the same download test at around 7mb/s.. The speed reductions I thought happened rather quick - i wonder if its really a capacity issue - did everyone suddenly go out and buy 8ta packages?

akescpt

Honorary Master
I stay on the border of Rondebosch and Newlands in Cape Town - also have the 60gb+60gb promo - have noticed the sudden speed reductions in the area. When I got the package about 4 months ago speeds were really good, however today speeds are around 1.5mb/s on download (compared my Vodacom laptop which does the same download test at around 7mb/s.. The speed reductions I thought happened rather quick - i wonder if its really a capacity issue - did everyone suddenly go out and buy 8ta packages?
That is the question. We have been wondering the same thing. Although your speed is still decent. Better than a 1mb adsl line.

Last edited:

Telkom

Expert Member
Company Rep
Hi Rodders007!

Please complete our template so we can investigate? If it is a capacity issue, we can address it accordingly.

That is the question. We have been wondering the same thing. Although your speed is still decent. Better than a 1mb adsl line.
Hi akescpt!

We have requested your information before and we are still awaiting your feedback. The sooner you send us your information, the sooner we can propose a solution for you.

Regards,
Social Media Team

Telkom

Expert Member
Company Rep
Just had the technician here (Rondebosch / Newlands) to do some tests (I reported speed problems and disconnects). I'm only online in the evenings so it was a surprise to do a speedtest at this time of day and get results like this:

The problem is obviously capacity, and the tech said he was one of the most busy in the Western Cape (he deals with the Southern suburbs). The slow speeds in the evenings seem to be a common problem in the area.

Anyway - he gave me the Mobile Partners dashboard to use to see if it helps with the disconnection problems. I can only hope the powers that be take note and add capacity so that download speeds aren't so severely affected in the evenings and over weekends. If that's sorted out - I'll definitely get a better 8ta package rather than the 2+1 each month.

Edit: Also - thanks to 8ta / Telkom for calling back when you said you would, and for arriving on time.
Hi saor!

Thanks for the feedback and it is our pleasure. Please let us know if things have changed or not so we can take it further if this does not resolve your query.

Regards,
Social Media Team

saor

Honorary Master
Hi saor!

Thanks for the feedback and it is our pleasure. Please let us know if things have changed or not so we can take it further if this does not resolve your query.
I'm not expecting the speed issue to be resolved immediately - that's going to be something that 8ta/Telkom need to address with the appropriate network / system upgrades and that's going to take time. What I would appreciate though - is if we could be told when those upgrades occur so that we can give feedback and let you know if the service has improved.

Telkom

Expert Member
Company Rep
I'm not expecting the speed issue to be resolved immediately - that's going to be something that 8ta/Telkom need to address with the appropriate network / system upgrades and that's going to take time. What I would appreciate though - is if we could be told when those upgrades occur so that we can give feedback and let you know if the service has improved.
Hi saor!

Your suggestion has been sent to our Network Planners and it will be discussed.

Regards,
Social Media Team

saor

Honorary Master
Your suggestion has been sent to our Network Planners and it will be discussed.
I hope so 8ta. There has been no improvement in my speeds, and they actually seem worse now than ever. This week so far it's been almost impossible to browse in the evenings - my ping is usually at around 300-500ms, as opposed to the 40ms I get during the day. Here's hoping those upgrades come soon :).

saor

Honorary Master
Round 2 of technicians came this week to do some additional readings, so I'm interested so see if there are any improvements in the next week or two; they did say they would call to keep me updated. If anything I've been quite impressed with 8ta's attempts at helping / giving the impression of helping. When the connection actually improves then I'll be doubly impressed.

I kind of got the impression from the technician that 8ta is going to be getting better in Cape Town (just from a casual comment he made) as I mentioned how good some speed results were that I've seen from users in Joburg.