A biotech billionaire pledges $210 million to transfer vaccine technology to South Africa

Shango

Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, the billionaire biotechnology entrepreneur who owns The Los Angeles Times, announced on Wednesday that his corporation and his philanthropic foundation would commit an initial 3 billion South African rand (about $210 million) to transfer the latest technology for producing vaccines and biological therapies to South Africa, where he was born.

Companies there, he said, could then use them to make a second generation of vaccines to address variants of the coronavirus that might make current vaccines less effective.

Link.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Good gesture on paper, but most of that money would probably be siphoned off into government's feeding trough as per usual.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Make the agreement directly with Aspen Pharma and Adcock Pharma please and pay them directly .... cut out government because god knows what will happen to that money then.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Make the agreement directly with Aspen Pharma and Adcock Pharma please and pay them directly .... cut out government because god knows what will happen to that money then.

Aspen makes good quality medicines. AdCock is a bit behind but I like their camphor cream.

Shango

Ascendis too.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Aspen makes good quality medicines. AdCock is a bit behind but I like their camphor cream.
Yip. When my sis was in hospital with a severe case of viral meningitis, all the anti virals they were giving her were Aspen branded. The anti retroviral that is given for free at my partners mens health clinic is also made by Aspen and it works just as well. It has got the 3 anti virals in one pill which you take once a day (Just like the more expensive Truvada) and they are keeping their patients viral loads undetectable with it. We can be proud to have a company like Aspen to call our own.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

As I understand the agreement is to be made with BioVac which is partially state-owned.

Daily Maverick published a good article on BioVac back in January,

surface

Honorary Master
Aspen indeed. Did they pay their 3 billion rands fine for anti-trust practices or did they manage to wriggle out of it by ethical means?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Aspen indeed. Did they pay their 3 billion rands fine for anti-trust practices or did they manage to wriggle out of it by ethical means?
You mean this? Mmmm. OK, did not know about this. Thought they only did cheaper generics, did not know they hold patents unless I am not understanding it correctly.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

What about Cipla ?

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Seems he already has a working relationship with Biovac

R13...

Honorary Master
Why would he pay Aspen or Adcock or any other manufacturer or government? It says he's committing money for transfer of technology.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Why would he pay Aspen or Adcock or any other manufacturer or government? It says he's committing money for transfer of technology.
Even then, the way I read it, he's transferring the rights and the associated technologies to make a vaccines (against SARS-CoV-2, amongst others) ourselves, instead of making it and sending it to us.

I don't know WTF these other guys are seeing that he's going to give us R3bn :unsure:

The value of what he's giving to us, on paper, is valued at R3bn