A brief history of the internet in South Africa

SouthernCelt

"• Telkom is officially established; refuses to install and lease a line to the USA because of costs involved.
• Dialup costs are 3 times more than what is considered standard at the time, with Rhodes racking up bills in the thousands."

Telkom has been screwing up the interwebz from the beginning :crying:

fragtion

Expert Member
We've come a long way. Can't wait now for WACS to go live and FTTH to become a reality... ;) if only Telkom went that route instead of 8ta - alas, 8ta is doing OK i guess :rolleyes:

vzta22

Just because we are better off now than 20 years ago does not mean we should be satisfied and take every junk thrown our way without complaining. The reason we complain is because we can do better than what we have.

gah

Rhodes will mark this anniversary

Rhodes intends on marking this important occasion. The exact details are still to be finalised, but we're hoping to get all the "pioneers of yesteryear" together in Grahamstown to reminise a bit; to give an insight into the politics, the technical hurdles, and what drove them to bring the Internet to South Africa. We've been in contact with most of the people involved (now from as far afield as the USA & Japan), and they've almost universally shown an interest in being involved.

At the moment, it looks like things will be happening on 24 November 2011, which is some ten days after the actual anniversary of the first ping packet (but the only time we're likely to get everyone together). It'll consist of, at least, some public lectures and workshops, and maybe some more stuff. (I've toyed with the idea of setting up a 10Base5 network with some of the original equipment, and somehow connecting it back to the Internet for fun. The Penril modems referred to in the article are still floating about ;-)).

I'm sure the University's communications office will release more details closer to the time, and I'll try and remember to get them posted here when they do.

zamicro

Expert Member
This article takes me back many years to looooong nights in the uni computer lab ;)

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I was at the CSIR when it all started for me in the early 90's. The CSIR setup would later become MWeb. Newsgroups were the MyBB forum for me then. Been talking nonsense online for 20 years ... :D

tRoN

Executive Member
Aah ...the gold old days.
Playing arount with telnet & ftp in the varsity computer lab....no time for girlfriends then!

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
20 years ago I was dialing up to billboards(BBS) on my 286 AT, with Super VGA and 40MB HDD and a very slow modem.

If I read this righ, THIS, then this was the first browser and it was released 1993, +/-18 years back.

Cat011

Anthony Gerada gave me my first experience of connecting to 'The Internet' from Home via Digitec Online BBS

I still have a pic of the old Digitec crew somewhere on a Floppy ;) Geekfest

onlyme

20 years ago I was dialing up to billboards(BBS) on my 286 AT, with Super VGA and 40MB HDD and a very slow modem.

If I read this righ, THIS, then this was the first browser and it was released 1993, +/-18 years back.

Mosaic was the first Graphical web browser, but long before mosaic there were text only browsers, the very first was arguably a browser called WorldWideWeb written in 1990 at CERN, the first I used was libwww a port of WorldWideWeb, back then even HTML was limited to Header Tags and Paragraph Tags, Image tags did not even exist and even Tables did not exist, most of the www was just plain text.

CritiKill

I can remember in 1993 visiting my dad's office and connecting to the web with Quarterdeck Mosaic browser and using Yahoo as the search engine (more of a directory back then than a search engine. I also used to connect to Compuserve and use thie GO BRITANNICA service for school projects.

The world was blaazing ahead at 14.4, then 28.8, then 56K modems. Which is when Mweb came out with their Big Black Box.
And it can also be noted that at the time, while we were chugging along at the same speed as everybody else before we got left in the dust by more progressive countries, we produced entrepreneurs like Elon Musk, Mark Shuttleworth and companies like Derivco.com.

My word but I hate Telkom for their reticent, illogical approach to the interwebz...they've really screwed us.
Mosaic was the first Graphical web browser, but long before mosaic there were text only browsers, the very first was arguably a browser called WorldWideWeb written in 1990 at CERN, the first I used was libwww a port of WorldWideWeb, back then even HTML was limited to Header Tags and Paragraph Tags, Image tags did not even exist and even Tables did not exist, most of the www was just plain text.

Garro

lol... Are you guys too young to know about Beltel? When the post office was our telephone company? When the modem was not physically connected to the telephone line but a device you had to attach to the handset? hmmm...you missing some history here...

imgres

Last edited:

Palimino

Expert Member
There is an impression that the Internet didn’t exist before the WWW. Or that cyber-life didn’t exist before GUI’s. This is so wrong. Real hairy-chested men use the command line interface, not effete Graphical User Interfaces.

Palimino

Expert Member
lol... Are you guys too young to know about Beltel? When the post office was our telephone company? When the modem was not physically connected to the telephone line but a device you had to attach to the handset? hmmm...you missing some history here...

When the cutting edge was 300 baud acoustic modems. When WWW whippersnappers weren’t born yet.

Rinkhals

Well, all I can say is I'm glad the co.za TLD has eluded the clutches of Government.

Registering a coza domain is slick, cheap, quick and easy.

Christ knows what a balls up it would have been had the Gov got it's sticky mitts on it.

Quasimodo

Well, all I can say is I'm glad the co.za TLD has eluded the clutches of Government.

Registering a coza domain is slick, cheap, quick and easy.

Christ knows what a balls up it would have been had the Gov got it's sticky mitts on it.

Actually, if I remember correctly, resposibility was forcibily handed over to the SA government a few years back by Mike Laurie. I recall reading about it.

I do remenber the good old days of BBS. I had a CompuServe account from the CSIR prior to the internet. Also had an account with a local BBS which eventually became IS.