A conservative solution to climate change [video series]

konfab

Honorary Master
The "conservative" solution for climate change already exists. It is called nuclear power.

Currantly

The "conservative" solution for climate change already exists. It is called nuclear power.
I'm not picking on nuclear power, but it wouldn't solve much in SA due to the certainty of large scale corruption that would come with such projects.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
I'm not picking on nuclear power, but it wouldn't solve much in SA due to the certainty of large scale corruption that would come such projects.
Corruption would happen with any project in South Africa because of BEE.

konfab

Honorary Master
I'd say there's less of chance of it happening with the IPP program.
It suffers from exactly the same problems of BEE at Eskom.
https://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/files/EberhardNaude_REIPPPPReview_2017_1_1.pdf
The ED criteria carry a maximum of 30 points. This 70:30 split between price and ED objectives represented a significant shift from government’s usual 90:10 split (towards price) as stipulated by the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act (2000), and was only made possible through an exemption. This heavy weighting of non-price objectives in a competitive tender was also unique globally and set the REIPPPP apart.
Which means that the tenderpreneurship for IPP projects is three times as valuable as it is normally. Which will logically mean that you will see even more corruption for these projects.

Currantly

It suffers from exactly the same problems of BEE at Eskom.
https://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/files/EberhardNaude_REIPPPPReview_2017_1_1.pdf

Which means that the tenderpreneurship for IPP projects is three times as valuable as it is normally. Which will logically mean that you will see even more corruption for these projects.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, but that's the kind of 'par for the course' corruption you get with everything involving government in SA...I'm talking about the type of corruption that inflates the cost of a power station from 3 billion to how ever many gazillion & delays everything for years...