A dangerous number of South African IT professionals are leaving

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Digital and IT professionals are leaving the country in growing numbers, causing a shortage of skilled workers in the sector.

Speaking in an interview with the Sunday Times, Adcorp CEO Innocent Dutiro said that finding qualified IT workers is becoming increasingly difficult due to the exodus of professionals.

boanergesza1

Digital and IT professionals are leaving the country in growing numbers, causing a shortage of skilled workers in the sector.

Speaking in an interview with the Sunday Times, Adcorp CEO Innocent Dutiro said that finding qualified IT workers is becoming increasingly difficult due to the exodus of professionals.
No, finding IT workers is easy. Finding good ones....that is difficult. We have been recruiting since end last year to form a new team and it's been tough going.

neoprema

Expert Member
There's an EU country i grew up in with the same headlines from 10 years ago already.

I don't know how much of it is because ZA is so bad, vs just people want a change of scenery and/or usually get more money outside of their respective countries...

boanergesza1

This is a tremendous opportunity for those that stay.
Yes....and no. What happens is they get headhunted for ever bigger salaries. What you then get is CV's where the candidate spends time at a company for roughly 6-12 months before leaving.
This has a negative effect on their experience because they never get to see the results of their work, never learn from their mistakes (i.e never stick around long enough to maintain their work and learn what not to do next time)
We've seem some very inflated egos because of it.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Just in this last week, I received 3 calls from UK trying to recruit me. Seems like mainframe/legacy skills are in demand.

Daruk

Honorary Master

ekske1

Executive Member

rorz0r

Executive Member
Nothing new. Where I work we've basically always been in "recruitment mode" because it's a "startup". We've gone from 20 something employees a year ago to now about 60 and around 70 next month (Devs etc around 20% of total). We're not a Google or anything so the bar is a bit lower but not as low as some of the big "body shops". The drop off rates through the various stages of the process are pretty high and I'd say from CVs of interested candidates to successful hire is probably around 100:1.

A degree or diploma doesn't mean you're "qualified". A previous/current job as "Senior Software Engineer" doesn't mean you're qualified.

I'd say we've only really had three "bad" hires, one where due process was NOT followed because it was a bit of an emergency and two where bad attitudes and inflated egos only came out afterwards (both juniors).

R13...

Honorary Master
Well if the dangerous ones are leaving surely it can only be good

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Well if the dangerous ones are leaving surely it can only be good
What do you mean by this?
Oh woe is me, my skills will be in demand.
More work for me. Awesome
Not really, if companies can't get enough skilled people for their positions, they just won't open/close down, which will lead to less demand so more IT skills will leave and we'll actually end up in a downwards spiral where there will be less demand as no one will bother searching SA for it.

Also, how do you hire juniors without seniors to oversee them? I can't raise my skills if I'm not checked up/correct by people with more experience, so how would I, or any other junior, increase our skills to senior levels?

krycor

Honorary Master
This is a tremendous opportunity for those that stay.
Yes and no..

What I find is that there is an increasing gap to be filled by fewer people. So in the past you could split work amongst capable people more evenly and now it’s like entire teams depend on 1-2 people as the others seem like fillers to keep some level of activity on projects.

So while salaries may appear on paper as going up especially for experienced folk and niche skills, it doesn’t cover the work life balance deficit nor the responsibility and level contribution one needs to make to keep things afloat.

Of course this has an additional impact that managers take less risk.. so if you come out of varsity without industry tooling experience you at a significant disadvantage. It appears like the industry now thinks everyone is an idiot for the most part and only trusts what you done ie treating a graduate like a code monkey.

So with all of that going on.. you look at your paltry zar and quickly realize that for an easier life, greater income vs zar and longer term financial security you can live overseas and work there. No brainer if you ask me.. and that’s without even considering the politics.

boanergesza1

Yes and no..

What I find is that there is an increasing gap to be filled by fewer people. So in the past you could split work amongst capable people more evenly and now it’s like entire teams depend on 1-2 people as the others seem like fillers to keep some level of activity on projects.

So while salaries may appear on paper as going up especially for experienced folk and niche skills, it doesn’t cover the work life balance deficit nor the responsibility and level contribution one needs to make to keep things afloat.

Of course this has an additional impact that managers take less risk.. so if you come out of varsity without industry tooling experience you at a significant disadvantage. It appears like the industry now thinks everyone is an idiot for the most part and only trusts what you done ie treating a graduate like a code monkey.

So with all of that going on.. you look at your paltry zar and quickly realize that for an easier life, greater income vs zar and longer term financial security you can live overseas and work there. No brainer if you ask me.. and that’s without even considering the politics.
Yes.

That's where I am now. Have to fight for my personal time.

Jaws677

Is there still a large corporate in RSA who hasn't outsourced their IT to India ?