A day in the life of a tow truck driver

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - His day starts at 5am and ends the following day at 1am.
It’s long and sometimes tedious waiting for something to happen, so he can offer his assistance.
Sometimes days go by and nothing happens, but he still sits and waits, showing his dedication to his job.
This is the life of a tow truck driver Daniel Dekker who has been in the industry for 11 years. He is the owner Driver of AmPm Towing and Recovery Services.
“Being a tow truck Driver is a very stressful job, as you have to wait for an accident to happen, or if a client calls you to come to assist and tow his or her vehicle. At times, we sit endless hours on the road, only to return empty-handed. Sometimes we sit in the cold while it's pouring outside. Sometimes we sit in the scorching heat,” said Dekker.
He said, sadly, the public only see tow truck drivers as vultures and that they drive recklessly.
“Yes, we do drive recklessly, so that we can get to an accident scene to help those that were involved in the accident. The majority of the time we are first on scene and we get to see stuff that haunts us for years. The majority of the time we get to the scene first, then we need to help those that are trapped and comfort them while the ambulance is en route. At times, we witness death taking its place in front of us and we would have spoken to the victim not even five minutes ago,” said Dekker.
He started his career as a guard driving with a tow truck driver. Then he started as a driver and eventually ended up starting his own towing business.

More at: https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus...k-driver-f8b65ecf-b4e3-4be7-aafc-c4854c9e7208

Mekon

Expert Member
The reason they are seen as vultures possibly has to do with them always being at an accident scene way before any emergency vehicles arrive. Or maybe because it is sometimes 4-5 of them at a 2 car collision. Maybe it's because they lie that the other parties insurance will cover your tow and you have to pay a small fortune to get it back. Maybe it's because charging R1650 to tow a car 5 km to their yard is a bit excessive. Maybe R1400 storage fee for 5 days is a bit excessive. Fukk them.

panic mechanic

The reason they are seen as vultures possibly has to do with them always being at an accident scene way before any emergency vehicles arrive. Or maybe because it is sometimes 4-5 of them at a 2 car collision. Maybe it's because they lie that the other parties insurance will cover your tow and you have to pay a small fortune to get it back. Maybe it's because charging R1650 to tow a car 5 km to their yard is a bit excessive. Maybe R1400 storage fee for 5 days is a bit excessive. Fukk them.

But is the actual driver the vulture or rather the owner of the towing company?

It is very sad when you see some of them parked somewhere and his small children are sitting with him in the car. What a terrible time for a child.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
That is Malema level bullshit. You want to get there first so you can make money.

I saw that line and my first though was "you are trying to justify being a cnut.. so GFY".

My experience with most tow truck drivers in the last 10 years has actually be very pleasant tbh and they aren't vultures like they used to be anymore in my experience.

mojoman

Expert Member
Years ago I got charged an absolute fortune to have my motorbike chucked on the back of a truck (creating more damage and some panels were lost) and for a couple of days storage..I was in hospital and my dad struggled to even find these guys...
.I agree...Fk them.

Mekon

Expert Member
But is the actual driver the vulture or rather the owner of the towing company?

It is very sad when you see some of them parked somewhere and his small children are sitting with him in the car. What a terrible time for a child.
As far as I know they get paid per tow. So being at an accident scene is their goal, even if they cause an accident to be first.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

They are also the only people who benefit from traffic light turned to point in the wrong direction. Unless of course there are so many people who just do that for fun and carnage.

Big Rat

Hmm, and what about throwing diesel on the road to cause an accident?
Or, turning the robot's head 90deg so that the red side see's a green light and drive through.
With my dad in the flying squad these are to examples we have seen quite few times. Arrested the oak who turned the robot. witnesses saw him do it and then wait just around the corner.

Are there good guys out there? Yes there are, but they are the minority, and do not last long against the vultures ethics.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Or, turning the robot's head 90deg so that the red side see's a green light and drive through.
With my dad in the flying squad these are to examples we have seen quite few times. Arrested the oak who turned the robot. witnesses saw him do it and then wait just around the corner.

Are there good guys out there? Yes there are, but they are the minority, and do not last long against the vultures ethics.
vultures all of them, almost like Kombi drivers, only worse and 100 times more reckless
yes its a tough job waiting for accidents to happen and then cashing in for the entire month because of it.
@ToxicBunny , did your car get towed by a flying unicorn wearing a crown, and get delivered to nkandla or something? as the tow truck drivers even when called by the insurance company are evil snakes.

Priapus

Executive Member

Happened to me years ago. Around a bed, at 40km/h - car lost traction and I mounted the pavement. Tow truck driver was there within 30s - followed by another. They then decided to argue amongst themselves who should tow the car.

Fortunately I got my insurance on the phone and they sent a vehicle out.

This was like 10yrs ago now though.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Happened to me years ago. Around a bed, at 40km/h - car lost traction and I mounted the pavement. Tow truck driver was there within 30s - followed by another. They then decided to argue amongst themselves who should tow the car.

Fortunately I got my insurance on the phone and they sent a vehicle out.

This was like 10yrs ago now though.

Well, you shouldn't be driving in the bedroom in the first place.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
“Yes, we do drive recklessly, so that we can get to an accident scene to help those that were involved in the accident. The majority of the time we are first on scene and we get to see stuff that haunts us for years. The majority of the time we get to the scene first, then we need to help those that are trapped and comfort them while the ambulance is en route. At times, we witness death taking its place in front of us and we would have spoken to the victim not even five minutes ago,” said Dekker.
I've seen the parasites cutting off ambulances so they can get to the accident first on more than one occasion here in PE.

Last edited: