A Distant Asteroid Collision Gave Earthly Biodiversity An Ancient Boost

Sugarman

Making Sugar
About 466 million years ago, there was an asteroid collision in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. The collision caused the breakup of a major asteroid, creating a shower of dust throughout the inner Solar System. That event is called the Ordovician Meteor Event, and its dust caused an ice age here on Earth.
That ice age contributed to an enormous boost in biodiversity on ancient Earth.

In recent decades, scientists have uncovered evidence showing how different events in space shaped life on Earth. The most well-known of these is the Chicxulub impact that brought the reign of the dinosaurs to an end some 66 million years ago. But there have been other events in space that affected life on Earth, including a supernova that exploded about 2.6 million years ago that may have wiped out large ocean animals, and another supernova that exploded about 41,000 years ago and that may have helped wipe out the mammoths.

But in this case, the asteroid-dust ice age may have helped life on Earth rather than hindered it.
More At: https://www.universetoday.com/143450/a-distant-asteroid-collision-gave-earthly-biodiversity-an-ancient-boost/

Reactions: OCP

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I'll see your monkey and raise you a baboon (bonus points for it being my own photo).

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I remember an episode of Ancient Aliens that claimed early human ancestors came here on an asteroid.

Or was that Pokemon?

Lupus

Honorary Master
I remember an episode of Ancient Aliens that claimed early human ancestors came here on an asteroid.

Or was that Pokemon?
That was Battlestar Galactica... And it was a fleet of ships.

rambo919

Expert Member
So let me get this straight..... rocks pounding each other is a more rational reason for life on earth than intelligent design? Really?

Rabobi

Executive Member
A supernova doesnt explode. A star explodes (technically first it implodes). That event is called a supernova.

I am sure there are literally countless random events that took place that enabled us to be here today.

Science ftw

saor

Honorary Master
So let me get this straight..... rocks pounding each other is a more rational reason for life on earth than intelligent design? Really?
Rocks banging isn't the reason for life on earth. It's a part of the story of how this planet & conditions have changed over time & the things that have affected it.