A farm in the US that hired only white South Africans is being sued by black locals

Gyre

Expert Member
"

So which is it; hire anyone from anywhere or not too many whiteys (particularly SA fammas)?

My argument isn't who they are recruiting, it is why they are recruiting outside of their own population and locally from inside America(America First, Local is lekker, etc). No different to SA recruiting Cubans, but completely up to them.

Oldfut

Expert Member
My argument isn't who they are recruiting, it is why they are recruiting outside of their own population and locally from inside America(America First, Local is lekker, etc). No different to SA recruiting Cubans, but completely up to them.
Ah, "why they are recruiting outside of their own population?" a bit of water boarding should extract a confession. Why should local be lekker? Similar to excluding Zimbos and Malawians in SA; Herman is that you?

Garbage about the Cubans - that is an ANC regime deal (with kickbacks?) using up taxpayers' money, nothing to do with private companies.

"Completely up to them"; maybe stick with that and leave off the inanities.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Until there is more to the story, we can't assume either side is telling the whole truth.

The farm should be entitled to hire whoever they want from anywhere, but I also don't feel that there is any way to defend saying they want to import white farmers over the 9000 people living in their city already other than they really specifically want south african farmers.

True it could just be a labour dispute for all we know or actual skill shortages there. Most farmers here would gladly work in the US if you compare the salary differences.

Still, could be misleading interpretations and reporting, but the farm is entitle to hire whoever they wish.

P.S: I don't buy into the argument that all South Africans work harder, unless people overseas are genuinely useless - I have known some pretty lazy people immigrating
A bit anecdotal, but I would hesitate to apply that to farmers working abroad. Some farming neighbour's children did that for a year or two to build up more experience and save up money to reinvest it back into the family farm. In general the whole farming community is really underappreciated.

Gyre

Expert Member
Ah, "why they are recruiting outside of their own population?" a bit of water boarding should extract a confession. Why should local be lekker? Similar to excluding Zimbos and Malawians in SA; Herman is that you?

Garbage about the Cubans - that is an ANC regime deal (with kickbacks?) using up taxpayers' money, nothing to do with private companies.

"Completely up to them"; maybe stick with that and leave off the inanities.

We can wait for the full story to come out instead, let's just wait.

It is up to them ultimately anyway, regardless if they are racist or not. It would just be interesting to know if are in the market for racists.

Pegasus

Executive Member
We can wait for the full story to come out instead, let's just wait.

It is up to them ultimately anyway, regardless if they are racist or not. It would just be interesting to know if are in the market for racists.

Why mention race if not?
PFP paid its white South African workers significantly more for the same or similar work. PFP’s failure to pay its Black U.S. workers the same rate and offer them the same job opportunities as

ponder

Honorary Master
Ah, "why they are recruiting outside of their own population?"

It's seasonal, usually during harvesting. I know a few people that go over every year. For that period there's a shortage of labour so they hire from outside the US.

rvZA

Executive Member
Pitts Farms, a very large producer of cotton, soybeans, and corn in Mississippi used to have a largely black workforce, drawn from an area that is more than 70% black, according to a complaint filed with a US district court this week.

Then, in 2014, it started using imported labourers from South Africa. They were always white and, say the plaintiffs in the suit, better paid than were the local black workers – who in some instances trained them.

Now six of those local workers want to be compensated in a case their representatives, from the Mississippi Center for Justice and Southern Migrant Legal Services, say is just one example of the exploitation of black workers in the American South.

The South Africans were paid a standard state rate that started at $9.87 per hour in 2014 and rose to $11.83 (the equivalent of around R170 at current exchange rates) in 2020, the complainants say. At the same time the black locals were lucky to make $9 per hour for driving heavy trucks, while ordinary labourers got $7.25 per hour, and an extra dollar per hour for work on weekends.

Kieppie

Expert Member
It's seasonal, usually during harvesting. I know a few people that go over every year. For that period there's a shortage of labour so they hire from outside the US.
Yep and looking at their current situation with close to 10mil unfilled job openings it's even worse than normal.

Also as @Pegasus pointed out, those farmers are technically more African than the African-Americans.