A fine or 6 months in jail if you spread fake news about coronavirus

Ecco

Executive Member
I seen a couple of people posting the same video on FB - says there is no virus its some 5G thing thats making people sick....didnt watch much to be honest. I doubt anything going to happen to these people. Even reported it to FB - video still there a few days later.

Bismuth

Expert Member
I seen a couple of people posting the same video on FB - says there is no virus its some 5G thing thats making people sick....didnt watch much to be honest. I doubt anything going to happen to these people. Even reported it to FB - video still there a few days later.
Didn't the 5G thing start before the corona hysteria? Sure that I saw posts about 5G frying your brains or something, before corona came along...

Ecco

Executive Member
Didn't the 5G thing start before the corona hysteria? Sure that I saw posts about 5G frying your brains or something, before corona came along...
Proberbly, this video was very much about Corona though. I didnt watch much of it to be honest.

Rossgun

How does one know if it is actually fake as a lot of it makes sense and one feels the need to share "warnings" that are posted .???? Dunno. Should we all stop posting and sharing anything ??? Pray tell us.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
How does one know if it is actually fake as a lot of it makes sense and one feels the need to share "warnings" that are posted .???? Dunno. Should we all stop posting and sharing anything ??? Pray tell us.
People generally feel the need to share all sorts of schit without thinking it through even briefly.

bwana

MyBroadband
Let's see now... every year 200 000 people die of flu; the covid19 virus has killed less than 9000 in 3 months. For some reason the government has shut ports of entry, closed schools, and banned gatherings of 100 or more. Who is really guilty of spreading fake news? Where does government get its news from?
COVID-19 has a better marketing department.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What would make sense is if this regulation becomes enforceable on anyone creating/spreading fake news in general. Where is the line going to be drawn between opinion and fake news? What is fake news anyway?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
These regulations are a constitutional minefield. Will be interesting to see how the courts handle it. I wasn't aware the government could just make up criminal offences on the hoof without any parliamentary oversight. Usually criminal offences are created by statute i.e. a bill or act of parliament.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
What would make sense is if this regulation becomes enforceable on anyone creating/spreading fake news in general. Where is the line going to be drawn between opinion and fake news? What is fake news anyway?
These will be the 2 biggest hurdles to something of that nature.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
These regulations are a constitutional minefield. Will be interesting to see how the courts handle it. I wasn't aware the government could just make up criminal offences on the hoof without any parliamentary oversight. Usually criminal offences are created by statute i.e. a bill or act of parliament.
State of Emergency divests certain powers to the government, for limited periods of time to deal with disasters.

These offences will fall away when the state of disaster ends, or become a shyte ton worse when a state of emergency is declared.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What do YOU think fake news is?
Any news that does not agree with my opinion heh heh. Emojis will be added later. :cool: :eek:
I mean just look at the storm that happens every time ACC is discussed.

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I don't have that need. Most "warnings" are common sense to me in any case.
Can you tell me more about the "need" you have to share "warnings" you read?
Is it a feeling inside you, or is it just you blindly believing everything you read and just think yeah, I NEED to share this.
This is a honest question, not joking, just wondering if the need is a feeling inside (sounds like it) or just perhaps a habit that formed casue a lot of people just share everything wthout even knowing what they share.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Here's a Fake News definition of sorts from Cambridge English Dictionary;

"False stories that appear to be news, spread on the internet or using other media, usually created to influence political views or as a joke "

Source

Executive Member
Well the minister should be the first to go to Jail... Reporting officially there were 17 cases when in fact it was 16! :D