A fine or 6 months in jail if you spread fake news about coronavirus

Milano

Honorary Master
What would make sense is if this regulation becomes enforceable on anyone creating/spreading fake news in general. Where is the line going to be drawn between opinion and fake news? What is fake news anyway?
Some tips:

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Let's see now... every year 200 000 people die of flu; the covid19 virus has killed less than 9000 in 3 months. For some reason the government has shut ports of entry, closed schools, and banned gatherings of 100 or more. Who is really guilty of spreading fake news? Where does government get its news from?
104,382Seasonal flu deaths this year
Quick facts:
  • Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.
  • This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.
Sources and info:

Bismuth

Expert Member
104,382Seasonal flu deaths this year
Quick facts:
  • Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.
  • This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.
Sources and info:
Alright, so why haven't they been closing borders, cancelling flights and events, due to flu? Anyone have a sensible answer here, all I get is a load of hype and conjecture?

The most 'sensible' comment I've seen so far, is that it could overload the medical systems worldwide, but is that on it's own a reason for the current response?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Which one is fake:

1. Coronavirus is not so bad, it is the the hysteria that is bad.
2. Coronavirus is bad, very bad. Stock up food and tp etc.
It's about, and some, people who make voice notes saying there's a confirmed patient and x hospital or x is closed because of the Corona virus.

Urist

Expert Member
Alright, so why haven't they been closing borders, cancelling flights and events, due to flu? Anyone have a sensible answer here, all I get is a load of hype and conjecture?

The most 'sensible' comment I've seen so far, is that it could overload the medical systems worldwide, but is that on it's own a reason for the current response?
Agree with you there... the gov't sent a special task team to track SA's patient 0 and try and clean up after him, it spread anyway and meanwhile more people entered the country with the virus.
Is thoroughly out of their control by now.
Best thing they can do now is try to mass produce and distribute cheap hand sanitizer, like they did with condoms, let people take responsibility for their own health.
And everyone should just calm the fck down, the world is not ending.

Kryptonite

The same morons who want to police fake news believed beetroot, garlic and spinach was a cure for aids.......

Datura

Captain Faptastic

You can't manipulate extreme emotion on a global scale using flu as your weapon. You can't even use HIV, Cancer, Malaria or even smoking (current related fatality figures for 2020 below) to manipulate extreme emotions and capitalise on the reactions (been milked and bled dry already and we are bored with that schit anyway like we will be with this current pendemic before you know it).

What is interesting, is how our reactions to these types of tragic causes are adapting and becoming more and more extreme on a global level yet the ability to capitalise on our reactions is as evident and successful (for some who I presume have been forewarned <insert tinfoil hat here> at least) as ever.

Following are from 1/1/2020 until now:

Deaths caused by HIV/AIDS

1,766,880 Deaths caused by cancer

In 2005, 7.6 million people died of cancer out of 58 million deaths worldwide.

Based on projections , cancer deaths will continue to rise with an estimated 11.4 million dying in 2030.
211,024 Deaths caused by malaria
  • Malaria - World Health Organization (WHO)
1,075,488Deaths caused by smoking
Edit: Forget Cancer and Smoking actually...

2,793,007 Communicable disease deaths this year
Sources and info:

Of which only 8999 are from Corona

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master

SARS-CoV-2 spreads faster and so far looks like it has a higher fatality rate. I may also cause a higher percentage of critical cases.

Yes, it is a reason to impede the spread, because the number of deaths is likely to be much higher if hospitals are overwhelmed.

Bismuth

Expert Member
<snip>

Sources and info:

SARS-CoV-2 spreads faster and so far looks like it has a higher fatality rate. I may also cause a higher percentage of critical cases.

Yes, it is a reason to impede the spread, because the number of deaths is likely to be much higher if hospitals are overwhelmed.
What about the diseases that caused the other 2,792,108 deaths? Surely we don't want them to spread either?

It "looks like it has a higher fatality rate" and it "may cause a higher percentage of critical cases".

That is a reason to shutdown the world and all become hermits for +/-9k fatalities, but life goes on regardless of whatever is causing the other millions of deaths?

Does not make sense, or compute, for that matter.

MirageF1

Executive Member
And jail/institutionalise idiots and the like who claim garlic and toadstools alone will keep you safe.

wombling

Intent to pick it up makes you a vector to spread it. Therefore intent to spread it either way.
Good luck trying to prosecute that. Maybe the idiot just wants to book of work sick for 2 weeks.

wombling

If your test results are possitive and you're seen out in the shops spitting on trolleys and handrails, that shows intend to spread it. There are clear guidelines for when one tests possitive.
You have to prove intent in court. Particularly if you're going to prosecute someone for the charge of "attempted murder" as the legislation says.

Solarion

Honorary Master
You can't manipulate extreme emotion on a global scale using flu as your weapon. You can't even use HIV, Cancer, Malaria or even smoking (current related fatality figures for 2020 below) to manipulate extreme emotions and capitalise on the reactions (been milked and bled dry already and we are bored with that schit anyway like we will be with this current pendemic before you know it).

What is interesting, is how our reactions to these types of tragic causes are adapting and becoming more and more extreme on a global level yet the ability to capitalise on our reactions is as evident and successful (for some who I presume have been forewarned <insert tinfoil hat here> at least) as ever.

Following are from 1/1/2020 until now:

Deaths caused by HIV/AIDS

1,766,880 Deaths caused by cancer

In 2005, 7.6 million people died of cancer out of 58 million deaths worldwide.

Based on projections , cancer deaths will continue to rise with an estimated 11.4 million dying in 2030.
211,024 Deaths caused by malaria
  • Malaria - World Health Organization (WHO)
1,075,488Deaths caused by smoking
Edit: Forget Cancer and Smoking actually...

Sources and info:

It's simple: because we understand those ailments and the threat they pose, the damage they have done.

The world does not understand Carona's capability and just what damage it is going to do and you always fear something you don't understand, it's human nature.

But there is no need to live in fear. As long as you respect the danger and you respect the consequences of that danger and do whatever you can to protect yourself and those around you then you have done your part.

There is no need for fear or panic.

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Because COVID-19 is worse in every respect, basically - more deadly, more contagious and puts a lot of people in ICU even if it doesn't kill them, including younger people. Given that it's new and not fully understood, there's also a big risk that could become endemic, coming back every year in different strains.

It also spreads exponentially if not stopped, which is what leads to overwhelmed healthcare systems, meaning other people who need access to it don't get it.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Unfortunately fake information spreads even faster than the virus: