"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

Lupus

Honorary Master
Watch

The witch effectively killed her unborn son and turned her husband in to a vegetable. ANYBODY would've sought vengeance.

Tarly's can be seen as treason. Daenerys has a valid claim to the throne (Robert Baratheon told us this in season 1) and titles herself as a Queen. With the Tarly's swearing allegiance to Cerseri, a usurper in Daenerys' eyes, they were guilty of treason. Jon Snow executed his own Brothers for treason.
They also stabbed him multiple times soooo that could've been why he executed them :) yes the problem is Daeny has been told for a long time she's the rightful queen, suddenly she's not and pretty much everything is taken away from her but this one powerful beast between her legs.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
If they showed Daenerys gradually turning to madness over a season or two then everyone would already know how it was going to end. Now it is more of a surprise. Not sure how they could have done it differently.
More rage than madness I think. From extreme loss and frustration.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Nobody saw the execution of Ned Stark coming, nor the Red Wedding.
They were small pieces in a bigger puzzle. The whole story since season one has been about Danaerys getting to Kings Landing and the Iron Throne.

How would you go about fitting a mad Danaerys into the last two seasons? Key plot points would have to be changed.

eg. Jon can't fall in love with a mad woman so no ties with the North and reason for her to have anything to do with the army of the dead. Her advisors would abandon her or try to kill her so she'd be on her own. If they managed to kill her off then what is left of the story... If they didn't manage to kill her off and she destroys Kings Landing like she just did then people would be upset about why "Jon didn't do this, or Arya/Tyrion/Vaerys do that" before she got there.

The story is not perfect but I can see why they wrote it the way they did.

C4Cat

Executive Member
I can't see how they can end this whole saga off well in just one episode. Even with all the deaths and aborted plot lines which have already happened.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
They were small pieces in a bigger puzzle. The whole story since season one has been about Danaerys getting to Kings Landing and the Iron Throne.

How would you go about fitting a mad Danaerys into the last two seasons? Key plot points would have to be changed.

eg. Jon can't fall in love with a mad woman so no ties with the North and reason for her to have anything to do with the army of the dead. Her advisors would abandon her or try to kill her so she'd be on her own. If they managed to kill her off then what is left of the story... If they didn't manage to kill her off and she destroys Kings Landing like she just did then people would be upset about why "Jon didn't do this, or Arya/Tyrion/Vaerys do that" before she got there.

The story is not perfect but I can see why they wrote it the way they did.
One easy way in without changing much this season is have Dani go apeshit when she sees what what the Night King did to her child Vasarion.

Then have like I said in an earlier post is have Rhaegal die in Kings Landing like a second before the bells ring. Have the small folk desecrated his body and that causes her to snap. Then the face turn would be more well earned and believable to the audience

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I can't see how they can end this whole saga off well in just one episode. Even with all the deaths and aborted plot lines which have already happened.
Those who read the leaks are saying the last episode is the worst of the bunch

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Nobody saw the execution of Ned Stark coming, nor the Red Wedding.
To be fair that was the book telling us exactly how its going to be. From all the back story that came later it makes sense but its more important in setting the stage.

Crazy kings do crazy things.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
What does all of this have to do with her character arc?
She has very little character development in the book as well. So what... its boring but thats what it is.

She is a spoilt little monarch with entitlement issues... seems very consistent with the rest of them.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
She has very little character development in the book as well. So what... its boring but thats what it is.

She is a spoilt little monarch with entitlement issues... seems very consistent with the rest of them.
I'd say she had the biggest character transformation of all the characters in the first book. But apparently GRRM needs other characters stories to progress before major beats in Danis and Jon's chapters. He initially wanted to do a time skip but realised it would lead to potholes.

OCP

Expert Member
I'd say she had the biggest character transformation of all the characters in the first book. But apparently GRRM needs other characters stories to progress before major beats in Danis and Jon's chapters. He initially wanted to do a time skip but realised it would lead to potholes.
They are a real danger!

potholes.png

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Anyone else just waiting for the final episode with this feeling of 'Lets just get this done with already. They've already messed up the entire story by rushing it.'
Not me! Who will kill Danny? Will she not be killed? Who will rule Westeros? Is the Iron Throne salvaged? What happens to Tyrion?

OCP

Expert Member
Anyone else just waiting for the final episode with this feeling of 'Lets just get this done with already. They've already messed up the entire story by rushing it.'
Yeah, will watch it of course but with full expectation to be severely disappointed ...

stefan9

Executive Member
They've done this throughout the series. Even from the first season when she burnt the witch, when she burnt the Tarly's and so on.
Both of those are justified killings. The burning of the innocents in kings landing isn't.

She goes from someone distraught when drogon burns a kid in meeren to someone who is happy to kill kids herself with no proper buildup to it...

Its simple awful writing...

Waiting for the season to end and holding thumbs GRRM gets out the true version...