"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I have no issues with Danny burning Kings Landing, the signs of madness have long been there.

My problem is with the piss poor writing. How did she destroy the ships and city walls and not one scorpion hit Drogon?

I was looking forward to her taking the city without a dragon.

At least there's only 1 episode left to get through.

vancity33

Maybe GRRM purposely did not release his new books so he could see the backlash from fans for storylines in the TV show, and then write accordingly :unsure:

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
<snip>
My problem is with the piss poor writing. <snip>
Forcing D&D to stick around for seasons 7 and 8 in retrospect was a bad idea, akin to forcing a resentful employee to serve out their 30 days notice :unsure: Any writer(s) with half a brain could have done a better job o_O

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
HBO should have recruited the guy from Alt Shift X and Preston Jacobs for insight.

Many people don't like Jacobs, but he has been really spot on with his analysis of the past, present and future. Alt Shift X on the the other hand grasps the lore better than most, but apparently he has a lot of contributors assisting him out.

This video from Alt Shift X, the Targaryen Conquest put a lot into perspective,

and Daenerys's conquest hasn't been far off from Aegon's other than the very end where she flipped mad.

Bonk

HBO should have recruited the guy from Alt Shift X and Preston Jacobs for insight.

Many people don't like Jacobs, but he has been really spot on with his analysis of the past, present and future. Alt Shift X on the the other hand grasps the lore better than most, but apparently he has a lot of contributors assisting him out.

This video from Alt Shift X, the Targaryen Conquest put a lot into perspective,

and Daenerys's conquest hasn't been far off from Aegon's other than the very end where she flipped mad.
The problem is not the going mad. It is going mad in a space of one episode. For a show that is all about character development, this felt rushed.

themba990

Expert Member
The problem is not the going mad. It is going mad in a space of one episode. For a show that is all about character development, this felt rushed.
Madness is not a spectrum though. You are either mad or you're not. I'm surprised she lasted this long with everything turning to sh#t left and right ever since she started this journey.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I think the issue is that they compressed the episodes. The frustration and insecurity was there they needed to show it. Perhaps a few more scenes of her making bad decisions and throwing toys. More interactions with Varies showing justification for his actions... none of these would have done anything to the CGI budget.

eehellfire

Executive Member
I have no issues with Danny burning Kings Landing, the signs of madness have long been there.

My problem is with the piss poor writing. How did she destroy the ships and city walls and not one scorpion hit Drogon?

I was looking forward to her taking the city without a dragon.

At least there's only 1 episode left to get through.
The question isn't why not one scorpion bolt hit Drogon, but rather why any were able to hit Rhaegal

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
The question isn't why not one scorpion bolt hit Drogon, but rather why any were able to hit Rhaegal
There is a warging explanation.

Dany is warging into Drogon and she understands what the scorpions are, she understands the arrows and she understand trajectories. Drogon is not being ridden he and Dany are one she is controlling him, he is giving feedback to her....

Rhaegal is just following them, he doesn't understand any of these things he is just chilling in the sky and some sharp pointy things hit him.

The scorpoins had the element of surprise with the first attack as well. Its a stretch but I do think to be realistic some arrows should have hit Drogon at some point.

eehellfire

Executive Member
There is a warging explanation.

Dany is warging into Drogon and she understands what the scorpions are, she understands the arrows and she understand trajectories. Drogon is not being ridden he and Dany are one she is controlling him, he is giving feedback to her....

Rhaegal is just following them, he doesn't understand any of these things he is just chilling in the sky and some sharp pointy things hit him.

The scorpoins had the element of surprise with the first attack as well. Its a stretch but I do think to be realistic some arrows should have hit Drogon at some point.
They did I guess. When Bronn shot him

The Voice

Executive Member
Because they had time to line up their shots on the dragons that were oblivious at the time. They weren't able to hit Drogon when he was swooping down on the ships after Rhaegal went down, either. I guess when that happened, Dany identified their weakness: close proximity. And she exploited that in the past episode.

It's TV, guys. It's not necessary to overthink everything.