"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Because they had time to line up their shots on the dragons that were oblivious at the time. They weren't able to hit Drogon when he was swooping down on the ships after Rhaegal went down, either. I guess when that happened, Dany identified their weakness: close proximity. And she exploited that in the past episode.

It's TV, guys. It's not necessary to overthink everything.
Did someone perhaps say this to D+B?

Suspect99

Executive Member
Because they had time to line up their shots on the dragons that were oblivious at the time. They weren't able to hit Drogon when he was swooping down on the ships after Rhaegal went down, either. I guess when that happened, Dany identified their weakness: close proximity. And she exploited that in the past episode.

If they had time to line up the shots then they had to have line of site. If they had line of site that works both ways and then how did 2 dragons and a human in the air miss a fleet of ships.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

Ya - people are just upset because of inconsistency. Fantasy is fun when its consistent, its the only way to make fantasy feel real.

CodeMaster

Expert Member
I think they tried to make a point of showing Dany and Drogon flying in very low, where they were scrambling to get the Scorpions pointing down to get a shot. They were expecting them to come from the skies.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I think they tried to make a point of showing Dany and Drogon flying in very low, where they were scrambling to get the Scorpions pointing down to get a shot. They were expecting them to come from the skies.
You see, realistically, any person who is engaging the trigger mechanism does so by aiming indirectly. They don’t ‘see’ the target, targets are located by observers and direct the aim towards that target. It has been done so since whenever, even with archery. You have a line, and you only know the straight-line distances, these are estimates taken by several measures.

So, these scorpion crews, they will know their angles and distances, they already have their own fire position, they only require a target. A target which will be determined by the observer(s). The dragon isn’t a slow-moving or static target, unless it lands somewhere, so they will have optimal positions set up to cover possible target positions.

The dragon being hit by Bron, the dragon being hit by Euron, now that is ultimate luck, but the attack on King’s Landing, well, that was prepared well in advance.

stefan9

Executive Member
The showrunners already explained it all,

Their explanation made absolutely no sense. Considering Dany is the one that brings up the iron fleet at the council meeting. So we are suppose to believe she forgot about them a scene or so later...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Their explanation made absolutely no sense. Considering Dany is the one that brings up the iron fleet at the council meeting. So we are suppose to believe she forgot about them a scene or so later...
You should know by now, cinematography is more and most important.

stefan9

Executive Member

Its tv based on GRRM's ice and fire novels. It needs to meet with the logic as set in those novels.

Rhaegal shouldn't have been hit either. The only dragon ever killed by a projectile was a 1 in a million shot through the eye.

But spectacle matters more then logic and adhering to the lore...

SaiyanZ

Executive Member

Yeah those scorpions can't shoot straight up or very low which is what Danaerys used to her advantage at Kings Landing. Came in from very high and then kept low whilst moving around very fast. Scorpions had no chance.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
As to the character development and sudden madness argument. They had to try and balance 3 things:

Character development vs Surprise vs What comes after.

If you get too much of one or the other then the others won't make sense.

Polly101

She probably would've even left the Tarly's as lords of Horn Hill . Aegon the Conqueror didn't disposes the old kings of their lands. Sure he stripped them of their kingships but then made them Lords Paramount.

No way you can use what Dany done to the Tarly's as a sign of madness. It was a fair offer and Randall knew the cost of not accepting.
FTFY
they were Vassals of Highgarden (Tyrells)

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Yeah those scorpions can't shoot straight up or very low which is what Danaerys used to her advantage at Kings Landing. Came in from very high and then kept low whilst moving around very fast. Scorpions had no chance.
If you look at the head of try projectile, it's not a traditional scorpion bolt head, it's logical to assume those bolt heads were specifically designed to penetrate dragon skin

Polymathic

Honorary Master
As to the character development and sudden madness argument. They had to try and balance 3 things:

Character development vs Surprise vs What comes after.

If you get too much of one or the other then the others won't make sense.
You need to add logic to that equation but in your defense the show runners also didn't.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The main reason why they had a fleet of close to 1000 ships armed to the teeth with scorpions for covering measured angles and distances. I am quite sure the defensive effort evaluated their capabilities. It would have been to Daenerys's advantage if she attacked the weakest stretch of the wall first, yet she chose to attack them on their most fortified side.

Besides how did Euron accurately predict Danny's arrival in the previous episode and landed several shots to great success. I guess he had all of the chance. Maybe the Lannister's just ran out of luck going by how much support D&D is receiving.

No chance, lol, poor writing again excused for great cinematography. I mean, the Golden Company was sniffing the air, the ballista crews was snoozing whilst under attack, I mean their enemies was standing outside of the wall and the walled garrisson didn't mind at all that they were being sandwiched. The 'people' of Westeros didn't ring a bell, sound a alarm or even squeaked a sound when a dragon was obliterating them from their side of the port.

King's Landing had every chance to defend themselves.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
FTFY
they were Vassals of Highgarden (Tyrells)
House Tyrell was killed off in the series. The Tarly's were in line for a ''promotion''.

Also, an interesting exchange in there. Randyll Tarly ''knows what she (Cersei) does to those that defy her''.

People still think Dany executing the Tarly's was a sign of madness? You all know Cersei would've done the same, even the man Dany executed was aware of that fact.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Also, too much war going on. Next episode will likely be the third episode in a row with a war. Not battles, a war.

The war of the 2nd Long Night is won. The war against the Lannister's/mad, but sane Cersei is won in the name of Daenerys Conquest. Now it is the Jon/Sansa Rebellion, where the North will all be all forgiven for their act of genocide.

All in the name of cinematography. In my opinion, only one of these 3 plots should have been closed off with a act of war.

The final episode in my opinion will again be Arya closing off the plot by killing off the final name on her list. Mind you that the Night King was added by a misquote from a previous episode and that Daenerys now replaced Cersei. Jon will again be heard, by fanboyism, yelling "go go goooooo!!!" to Arya jumping off her high white horse ending The Long Day of the Mad Queen. Jon burying his sword, heading far North, ending the Targaryen dynasty.

Gendry crowned King, The North declared independent. Who knows??? Maybe Doom will come to Westeros ;)