"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

Urist

Expert Member
I was going to say something about medieval doctors who treated hysterical women with vibrators, but I won't

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So which Valyrian blade is going to slay Daenerys,

1. The unnamed catspaw dagger,
2. Widow's Wail or
3. Longclaw?

Sadly, Blackfyre didn't make its way back to Westeros through the Golden Company, or the Iron Bank, because that would have been quite a game-changing 'insert' for both Aegon and Daenerys Targaryen. Black Sister should have also transitioned through the Three-Eyed Raven to Arya... Damn, these writers had so much lore to work with for writing a superb season 7 and conclusion of 8.

As it stands, the entire plot of the Iron Bank up to where the Golden Company was Thanos'ed out of existence is a time filler, and that is not the only fillers.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member

2. Widow's Wail or
3. Longclaw?

Sadly, Blackfyre didn't make its way back to Westeros through the Golden Company, or the Iron Bank, because that would have been quite a game-changing 'insert' for both Aegon and Daenerys Targaryen. Black Sister should have also transitioned through the Three-Eyed Raven to Arya... Damn, these writers had so much lore to work with for writing a superb season 7 and conclusion of 8.

As it stands, the entire plot of the Iron Bank up to where the Golden Company was Thanos'ed out of existence is a time filler, and that is not the only fillers.
Is Little Jon out of the running?

Polymathic

Honorary Master

2. Widow's Wail or
3. Longclaw?

Maybe somebody will dig up Jaimie and use Oath Keeper

The Voice

Executive Member

2. Widow's Wail or
3. Longclaw?

Who has Widow's Wail now anyway?

Also, what about Lightbringer? Ser Davos was the last one to have it... would make for a decent ending, with Jon/Aegon tempering the blade by driving it into Dany's heart, turning him into Azor Ahai. Or is that honour reserved for a different character maybe?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Is Little Jon out of the running?
Arya has the assassin’s dagger, the catspaw she used on the Night King. Jon Snow’s Longclaw had an interesting role in the season 8 trailer named Aftermath… Widow’s Wail was confiscated by Daenerys’s forces when Jaime tried to enter King’s Landing. Tyrion didn’t return Widow’s Wail to Jaime when aided to escape from the camp. Widow’s Wail will be fitting for Daenerys, especially for the state she is in, either to be used by Jon or Arya.

I still believe the final blow will be given by either Jon or Arya.

Aftermath:

By assumption, that is the aftermath of the Long Night, but did Daenerys vision have ash or snow?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Maybe somebody will dig up Jaimie and use Oath Keeper
Brienne has Oath Keeper and I don't believe she is going to let it go easily, especially with the whole Jaime arc. Also, Oath Keeper has been given to her symbolically for keeping her vow to Catelyn Stark.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Who has Widow's Wail now anyway?

Also, what about Lightbringer? Ser Davos was the last one to have it... would make for a decent ending, with Jon/Aegon tempering the blade by driving it into Dany's heart, turning him into Azor Ahai. Or is that honour reserved for a different character maybe?
Yes, if the prophecy is still in play then Lightbringer still has a role to play. All of the key characters of R'hllor has been killed off though Daenerys is still a believer of sorts, I believe D&D closed this off as well.

Davos had this in his script,

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/12/18564354/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4-recap-characters-what-happened

Ser Davos Seaworth, aka the Onion Knight, talks to Tyrion about Melisandre the red witch’s sudden departure.

“I told her I’d kill her if I ever saw her again,” Davos says. Tyrion understands. It’s just that Davos never got the chance. He’s pissed off at her and the one she follows.

“Lord of Light,” Davos says. “We play his game for him, we fight his war and win, and then he ****s off. No signs, no blessings. Who knows what he wants?”

Tyrion says there’s no comfort in that line of thought.
The Azor Ahai plot ****ed off with Arya slaying the Night King. My 2c.

The Voice

Executive Member
Yes, if the prophecy is still in play then Lightbringer still has a role to play. All of the key characters of R'hllor has been killed off though Daenerys is still a believer of sorts, I believe D&D closed this off as well.

Davos had this in his script,

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/12/18564354/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4-recap-characters-what-happened

The Azor Ahai plot ****ed off with Arya slaying the Night King. My 2c.
Maybe. But Azor Ahai's only purpose was to end the Long Night using Lightbringer. And he had to be reborn. Could be they just thought "only 6 episodes in this season then we're done, **** it".

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
The main reason why they had a fleet of close to 1000 ships armed to the teeth with scorpions for covering measured angles and distances. I am quite sure the defensive effort evaluated their capabilities. It would have been to Daenerys's advantage if she attacked the weakest stretch of the wall first, yet she chose to attack them on their most fortified side.

Besides how did Euron accurately predict Danny's arrival in the previous episode and landed several shots to great success. I guess he had all of the chance. Maybe the Lannister's just ran out of luck going by how much support D&D is receiving.

No chance, lol, poor writing again excused for great cinematography. I mean, the Golden Company was sniffing the air, the ballista crews was snoozing whilst under attack, I mean their enemies was standing outside of the wall and the walled garrisson didn't mind at all that they were being sandwiched. The 'people' of Westeros didn't ring a bell, sound a alarm or even squeaked a sound when a dragon was obliterating them from their side of the port.

King's Landing had every chance to defend themselves.
I wonder if they are trying to show just how inexperienced Danny really is when it comes to war tactics. She basically has one style and that is superior fire power...

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Also, too much war going on. Next episode will likely be the third episode in a row with a war. Not battles, a war.

The war of the 2nd Long Night is won. The war against the Lannister's/mad, but sane Cersei is won in the name of Daenerys Conquest. Now it is the Jon/Sansa Rebellion, where the North will all be all forgiven for their act of genocide.

All in the name of cinematography. In my opinion, only one of these 3 plots should have been closed off with a act of war.

The final episode in my opinion will again be Arya closing off the plot by killing off the final name on her list. Mind you that the Night King was added by a misquote from a previous episode and that Daenerys now replaced Cersei. Jon will again be heard, by fanboyism, yelling "go go goooooo!!!" to Arya jumping off her high white horse ending The Long Day of the Mad Queen. Jon burying his sword, heading far North, ending the Targaryen dynasty.

Gendry crowned King, The North declared independent. Who knows??? Maybe Doom will come to Westeros ;)
I'm expecting a never ending cliff hanger