"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Heh. It's interesting how many people are actually yearning for more predictable/conventional conclusions.

And it doesn't matter how they conclude, people will complain. 2 seasons back people were complaining that the show is meandering and not moving in any direction. Now it's being "rushed".

I think people severely under-estimate how big a challenge it is to produce a show like this. It's insanely expensive, involves cross-continent sets and filming locations, huge cast and staff logistics, putting all the writing together with that, CGI, budgeting, etc.

I don't mean this as a retort to many of the issues brought up, necessarily. Some I agree with, some I don't. I just mean in general it's extraordinarily difficult to pull something like this off, and I think it's a little unfair to say it's all been a waste or whatever.

prOd

Expert Member
Heh. It's interesting how many people are actually yearning for more predictable/conventional conclusions.

And it doesn't matter how they conclude, people will complain. 2 seasons back people were complaining that the show is meandering and not moving in any direction. Now it's being "rushed".

I think people severely under-estimate how big a challenge it is to produce a show like this. It's insanely expensive, involves cross-continent sets and filming locations, huge cast and staff logistics, putting all the writing together with that, CGI, budgeting, etc.

I don't mean this as a retort to many of the issues brought up, necessarily. Some I agree with, some I don't. I just mean in general it's extraordinarily difficult to pull something like this off, and I think it's a little unfair to say it's all been a waste or whatever.
Of course it's rushed, we changed main villain 3 times in 3 episodes ffs.

Urist

Expert Member
I think a problem with such a long running show with such deep history and lore is that everyone now believes they know how the story is supposed to go better than the showrunners do. maybe they do. Much of it was cheesy towards the end, but I'm happy for 8 seasons of high budget epic fantasy, and will definitely watch it again in the future.
Game of thrones is finished, a song of ice and fire will still be completed.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I was happy with the episode

Still don't get why he melted the throne, did he understand that that throne was the real cause of her death?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Most underwhelming end to an otherwise great series
I must say, I was just thinking she had gone from saviour of the world, to mad Queen and back to saviour again before Jon did the deed. Caught be by surprise that one. But otherwise, my overwhelming feeling was that the whole episode was a set up for a spin off series for Arya.

phoneJunky

Executive Member

Still don't get why he melted the throne, did he understand that that throne was the real cause of her death?
It is a conclusion, but there are things that I wanted to know that was just skipped over.

I think he understood yes. If she was warging into him they do semi-share their consciousness.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

It's an odd feeling for me. I pretty much enjoy the episodes, but with a lot less enthusiasm as before. I often find my mind wandering or thinking 'get on with it ffs'.