"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Now hopefully the entire World can get back to the real world ---- for a while at least. Seems impossible that there are some of us who have never seen a complete episode of this junk at all. I watched a part of one episode, not even sure which 5 minutes were enough ...

The Voice

Executive Member
Thoroughly enjoyable show and am sad it's over. Some really pissed off people here and I guess each to their own. Like foxhound said, I'm also no purist and have been royally entertained since S01E01.
Same here. I guess the comments here (good and bad) are just because so many of us were, dare I say it, emotionally invested in all the characters and the amazing story they were a part of. And now, it's all done and dusted... and I can finally get round to reading the damned books!

Azg

Expert Member
This is getting tiresome.

"Anybody expecting a happy ending wasn't paying attention" is a cop out for truly awful writing.

They fed us 7 seasons of backstory, lore, myths and prophecies only to rip everything up and feed us nonsense. They turned core characters into morons.
The only silver lining about Season 8 is that it makes it easier to let GOT go.

Naks

Expert Member
As good a finale as we could get, considering the train crash of the whole season.

Best ending for the Starks, but most of all, finally Jon is truly free.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I really liked it. Beautifully shot episode, with powerful moments and good send-offs.

Loved this shot:

A lot of folks conflating things not going the way they wanted it to with poor writing. Like the prophecies - they've never been consistent. Melisandre had prophecies that went horrifically awry (Stannis being Azor Ahai).

I also liked that they showed small parts of what happens afterwards. It wasn't just the climactic scene and then rolling credits.

One thing I noticed:

They referred to Samwell as Archmaester, but he's the Grand Maester if he's on the Small Council, isn't he?

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I really liked it. Beautifully shot episode, with powerful moments and good send-offs.

Loved this shot:

Yeah, digged it too. Something occurred to me watching this scene. Was this the first time we saw her all in black? I can only ever recall her in white or blue. I'm probably wrong but for some reason it struck me. Maybe it was just the contrast with the snow (the precipitation kind, not Jon kind)

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yeah, digged it too. Something occurred to me watching this scene. Was this the first time we saw her all in black? I can only ever recall her in white or blue. I'm probably wrong but for some reason it struck me. Maybe it was just the contrast with the snow (the precipitation kind, not Jon kind)
I think she's worn all black before, but they definitely ramped up the contrast (which I liked, too, visually speaking), so maybe just darker shades.

Although it felt a bit odd that King's Landing all of a sudden had massive amounts of snow (it wasn't all ash, I don't think), when just before the battle it was bone dry with no snow anywhere?

bromster

Expert Member
This entire season felt rushed to me. I would have rather waited another year and let them drag the battles out a bit more and focus more on the journey. One of the best things throughout GoT was that everything was slow, realistic and deliberate. Now we have a war against the undead, huge paradigm shifts and the siege on the iron throne all within 6 episodes. I'm frankly disappointed.

bumblebee

A great episode and a fitting end to a great story.
Episode 4 and 5 should have been stretched over 4 hour long episodes, fleshing out the motivations a bit more and pacing it appropriately.

Other than that, it fits.

Big characters shouldn't fight and die in clichéd boss battles. Life gets in the way of intentions and prophecy. And for a house that was truly against the ropes mid-story, the Starks come out pretty well.

As to Brans hand in playing everyone, I'll wait for the books to shed more light on what he truly knows at a given point, if it follows the same arc. He did not know John's identity until Sam gave him a reference to the wedding. Having access to all knowledge does not mean he knows when/where to look.
I have access to the Internet, but I only find what I know to search for and Google returns high enough in the search results. :)