"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
The whole love conversation between Tyrion and Jon was eye rollingly bad. Seems like Benihof got his pretty wife write it.

Aye.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Now hopefully the entire World can get back to the real world ---- for a while at least. Seems impossible that there are some of us who have never seen a complete episode of this junk at all. I watched a part of one episode, not even sure which 5 minutes were enough ...
*Watches one 50 - 80 minute episode once a week for a maximum of 10-weeks during the year*

*Gets told they don't live in the real world*

Jog on.

Last edited:

alanB

I know it's become a bit of a fashion to say how bad Season 8 was, so I've been trying to find some good things to say first.

I thought last week's episode was quite good, even though the overall story which led up to that's was a bit lame. And it made no sense that Dany would just burn the whole city with all the innocent people, just because she was angry at her friend being killed. But if you can ignore that - it was an episode that was up to GOT standards and was enjoyable to watch.

But I'm afraid that's about it...

This week's final episode continued the theme of a rather strange rushed story, in which characters and sub plots were crossed off a list, in a mishmash of patched together inconsistent simplistic methods.

Not to mention a whole lot of questions:

Why did the dragon melt the throne instead of burning Jon?

Why did Jon immediately abandon his duty in the Nightwatch and just ride into the North?

Why did Arya just leave her sister and sail West?

Why did Greyworm not just kill Jon, which is what he would naturally do to anyone who killed his Queen, why imprison him?

Why the stupid attempt at democracy?

Why after years of plotting and scheming and fighting, do they all just suddenly decide to use some arbitrary method of choosing a king/queen - VERY LAME.

Why the lame attempt to echo Frodo leaving his friends at the end - did they get confused about which book the story was based on?

The only thing the felt right for me in this episode was Sansa just telling them all she was going to be Queen of the North. I also thought Greyworm's character grew a bit, to the extent that at one point I was wondering if he was going to step in and take the throne (what was left of it).

So overall quite disappointed. It was a great show up to Season 7 I thought. But this last season did not do the overall story justice. And the ending was very bland and left me full of questions.

This season does deserve a re-make. But the problem will be getting the actors to take part. Some of the actors have become their characters to the extent that without them, it wouldn't really work I think. Particularly Dany, Jon, The Hound, Cersei. Clearly those actors did a great job!

phoneJunky

Executive Member
what a krap final episode

for years the characters fought battles and there was everything

in the end everyone lived happily ever after far from what they set out to do
Jon did what he set out to do - wearing the black

Sansa did what she set out to do - being the queen

Aria is doing what she wants - exploring

Tyrion is doing what he wanted to do - being the hand

I don't really know what Bran wanted to do, but he won the game.

Dany's prophecy came true.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Jon did what he set out to do - wearing the black

Sansa did what she set out to do - being the queen

Aria is doing what she wants - exploring

Tyrion is doing what he wanted to do - being the hand

I don't really know what Bran wanted to do, but he won the game.

Dany's prophecy came true.
I expected more in terms of death

Jon getting to the throne after he found out he was next in line

Arya killing someone

Sansa Killing someone and then getting her queen crown

Tyrion maybe dying from all the deceit

Greyworm could have went out in a nice battle or something

Bran was useless for most of the seasons ...i think s5 he was non existent even

Maybe too used to deaths and when everything is just a happy ending its no fun

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I actually enjoyed it. Did everyone really see Dany and Jon sitting hand in hand ruling a peaceful Westeros after everyone banded together, killed Cercei and then fought the Night King in a epic battle outside Kings Landing? Or what did they expect?

But it felt rushed - like everyone involved had just had enough and wanted to finish the show. Spreading the season out over the usual number of episodes would have been better received. Then we would have seen a better character arc and closure.

M_Kat

They truly defiled this show. I could just about stomach season 7 but season 8?? I just cant believe that after 2 years of working on season 8 this is the best they could come up with. Anyone satisfied with the past 2 seasons has not really seen the magnificence of the first 4.

It Came so close to becaming the greatest show of all time.....

DnD can go **** up star wars all they want. But this was just poor

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Remember also that there are tons of other story lines in the books which have not been included in the show. The whole Dorne Arc and the other hidden king. GRRM will have fleshed out the entire universe for us. What you are seeing on the TV show is the 9pm TV news clip.
That's my main gripe, the rest is fine
That council at the end was so random, who decided that they would be the ones to make the decisions ?
Its understandable that they would be the ones to do so but how did they get to that point. The council was basically a duspbin for wasted story lines. Dorne, Robbin Arryn and Catlins bro are basically an entire seasons worth of story that they skipped over - no dragons or expensive direwolves - just cheap "fresh" actors that they can tell new stories with... all leading to a more sensical ending.

Bran on the rolling throne - yes fine
Danny getting poked - yes, saw that coming and they had to resolve what she did.
Sansa independence - Whatever, I liked it but can't see her reasoning.

The really funny thing ? What are they ruling over? Which people ? What buildings ?
What city is that because it can't be kings landing. LOL

So what would have made a little more sense is that if they had killed Dany off during the battle and used that as justification for sacking the city. Then they spend more time fighting over who is the boss... then Dany's armies basically wonder why they are even there and the peace process starts - the leaders of the armies form the council and the rest finishes as it did.

Jon going north was perfect so I still see him as the one to take out Dany and then get exiled.
Did anyone else notice that ? he calls her Dany at the end /?? LOL.

One last thing - BRON... wtf, why do we even care about him ? Just give him a Castle and a wench and be done with it. What is he doing in the small council ?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
That's my main gripe, the rest is fine
That council at the end was so random, who decided that they would be the ones to make the decisions ?
Its understandable that they would be the ones to do so but how did they get to that point. The council was basically a duspbin for wasted story lines. Dorne, Robbin Arryn and Catlins bro are basically an entire seasons worth of story that they skipped over - no dragons or expensive direwolves - just cheap "fresh" actors that they can tell new stories with... all leading to a more sensical ending.

Bran on the rolling throne - yes fine
Danny getting poked - yes, saw that coming and they had to resolve what she did.
Sansa independence - Whatever, I liked it but can't see her reasoning.

The really funny thing ? What are they ruling over? Which people ? What buildings ?
What city is that because it can't be kings landing. LOL

So what would have made a little more sense is that if they had killed Dany off during the battle and used that as justification for sacking the city. Then they spend more time fighting over who is the boss... then Dany's armies basically wonder why they are even there and the peace process starts - the leaders of the armies form the council and the rest finishes as it did.

Jon going north was perfect so I still see him as the one to take out Dany and then get exiled.
Did anyone else notice that ? he calls her Dany at the end /?? LOL.

One last thing - BRON... wtf, why do we even care about him ? Just give him a Castle and a wench and be done with it. What is he doing in the small council ?
He has done so before.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I actually enjoyed it. Did everyone really see Dany and Jon sitting hand in hand ruling a peaceful Westeros after everyone banded together, killed Cercei and then fought the Night King in a epic battle outside Kings Landing? Or what did they expect?
The season crashed with episode 3.

So much that has happened leading up to this was for nothing. Even in the last episode, Varys writing a note to the world that Jon was the true king. For what? Winter is coming. For what? The connection between Bran and the NK. For what? Bran gladly taking the throne after telling Sansa that he is the Three-Eyed Raven and cannot be anything else. Create deep backstory, build characters up and then bin it all.

So many better ways to get a ''bittersweet'' ending and this could've even rescued episode 5 and Daenerys' awful turn.

Episode 5:
- Dany doesn't destroy King's Landing because ''foreshadowing'' is not character development, but she does start attacking parts of it as Cersei refuses to surrender.
- Seeing this, Jaime kills Cersei to force a surrender; Mountain kills Jaime; Hound kills Mountain.
- Dany's army takes the city. There is now some fear in the populace.
- Cue the dirty business as Varys' note to Westeros abot who the true king is starts leaking and everyone knows their new queen - whom they are fearful of - isn't actually their rightful ruler.
- Sansa sends a raven, congratulating Dany but informs her that she will not bend the knee and withdraws the northern armies. This only serves to heighten Dany's frustration and fears as she now views the north as an enemy.

Episode 6:
- Dany is on edge, the movement for Jon grows. Feeling angry, threatened and betrayed (not mad, that is a cop out), she executes Tyrion, blaming him for Varys' actions and purges what is left of the Lannister army. This turns popular opinion and the city openly rebels. Dany orders the Unsullied and Dothraki to put down the rebellion. Grey Worm asks about the northern armies that recently left, to which Dany responds that Yara's fleet has denied them ships and so she and Drogon will handle them as they march north.
- Jon overhears this and flies in to a rage, killing Grey Worm and the Unsullied guarding Daenerys. He demands that she stops the violence. Cue emotional exchange. Jon breaks down begging for Sansa and the north's safety. Dany says she cannot guarantee this, Sansa made her choice. She comforts him and Jon kills her as they embrace. In response to her death, Drogon goes on a rampage and utterly destroys King's Landing, attacking everyone including the Unsullied and Dothraki. He comes for Jon, but stops. He has his moment with Dany's corpse and carries her off.
- Jon, racked with guilt for bringing Dany to King's Landing and sick of the fighting, relinquishes the crown and exiles himself north of the wall to be where he truly felt at home.
- What is left of the Great Houses come together. Sansa states the north will kneel to no one. The Dornish prince and Yara echo her sentiment. The others agree that with the Iron Throne destroyed under the rubble of the Red Keep and Westeros broken from fighting, maybe it is time to return to an age of independent Kingdoms. In death Daenerys has broken the wheel.
- Arya disappears, last seen boarding a ship bound for an unknown destination.
- We flash to a fireplace at Winterfell. Bran is warging. We zoom in on his eyes and fade. We are now at the altar in the Lands of Always Winter where we saw the Night King turn Craster's last son. Bran comes back, sharp pain in his arm and he inspects the mark the Night King left on him. Sansa notices this and says she is glad it is all over. Bran says winter will always return. Credits roll with the gentle sounds of an icy wind.

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Oh and stop asking for a re-write.

The books are the real story and will come out eventually. If GRRM dies a proper writer will finish and we will get our story with a proper ending.

A few years later they will reboot this as an Anime.

Arex

Oh and stop asking for a re-write.

The books are the real story and will come out eventually. If GRRM dies a proper writer will finish and we will get our story with a proper ending.

A few years later they will reboot this as an Anime.
Hope its like this

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I'm still disappointed that there wasn't a crossover episode where Rick Grimes came to help them fight the White Walkers :p