"A Game of Thrones" discussion thread

stefan9

Executive Member
Lots of issues again with this episode...

No way in hell does Grey Worm allow Jon to live as a prisoner. Once Dany is killed he has nothing. He and unsullied would run jon through. WTF would Dorne and the Iron Islands accept the North getting independence no chance...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Lots of issues again with this episode...

No way in hell does Grey Worm allow Jon to live as a prisoner. Once Dany is killed he has nothing. He and unsullied would run jon through. WTF would Dorne and the Iron Islands accept the North getting independence no chance...
I also reckon the north would kneel to a northern king.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Appreciated how the ending panned out.

Some folks are just way too emotionally invested in this fantasy world and can't see the show for what it is. A best effort translation of the books in to a critically acclaimed show. Source material ran out through entropy from the writer who may well never conclude it and if he does he may well take inspiration from the show. :laugh:

Appreciate it for what it is not what you wish it would be I say.
I've no regrets spending the last how ever many years consuming this show. It's been a good ride.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I had an interesting thought last night while Jon was talking to Tyrion about Dani's progression.

She's the perfect allegory for the SJW/woke/snowflake brigade of today.

Starts with a good cause and good intentions.
Lives in an echo chamber where everything they do or say is applauded, agreed with, and not subjected to critical feedback
Becomes more and more radical and inflexible
Eventually becomes tyrannical and wants to impose its own PoV on the entire world...

Veneficus

George RR Martin lost the plot along time ago
Go look at the release dates of the books and you will notice slight delay after first one (1996)
3'rd (2000) book was there shortly after number 2(1999)
And then the winter - sorry the long wait began with the 4'th (2005) and 5'th (2011)
We are now on 8 years and book 6 is still not done

So yes he was waiting for the TV show to end so that he could figure out how to end his books :D

akescpt

Honorary Master
so Tyrion actually won GOT. brann is always 'off somewhere' and he makes the decisions. little man knew what he was doing. 'kill her she's mad bro'.

Did killing the Night King end winter? I know the south has a warmer climate but there was plenty of sun for a supposed winter that encompassed the whole of Westeros.

daveza

Honorary Master
Perhaps the biggest question for me - why does the Night's Watch still exist, why did Jon leave where he was banished to, where did all those civilians come from and where were they going.

The Voice

Executive Member
Did killing the Night King end winter? I know the south has a warmer climate but there was plenty of sun for a supposed winter that encompassed the whole of Westeros.
In the final scene with Aegon riding into the Haunted Forest (which, didn't you know it, is the same place the first episode started), you see a green shoot poking through the snow. So yeah, winter is over - the Night King wasn't the reason, though. I think he was a metaphor for the end of the world, and winter usually equates to death in a way.

Also, the sun does still shine during winter.

Cray

Honorary Master
Perhaps the biggest question for me - why does the Night's Watch still exist, why did Jon leave where he was banished to, where did all those civilians come from and where were they going.
Assumed it was the wildlings going back up North, I get the impression that Jon decided to go North but didn't actually take the oath of the night's watch, choosing instead to live beyond the reach of the kingdom north of the wall.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Also, night's watch not being within the 7 kingdoms is problematic for me - so the North will have to support them on their own?
Civilians = wildlings who took shelter in the north ahead of the night king's army

Sinbad

Honorary Master
In the final scene with Aegon riding into the Haunted Forest (which, didn't you know it, is the same place the first episode started), you see a green shoot poking through the snow. So yeah, winter is over - the Night King wasn't the reason, though. I think he was a metaphor for the end of the world, and winter usually equates to death in a way.

Also, the sun does still shine during winter.
The night king did bring the winter.

Urist

Expert Member
"Bran" won the game, he wanted to be king and that's why he allowed the burning of king's landing.
At the small council he showed that he can warg into dragons, I also think that's why drogon couldn't fry Jon.
A power hungy omniscient demigod possessing the body of a child. Happy Ending

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Not sure if spoilers still valid :sneaky:

On that note:

Since there's a sort of mental link between Drogon and Dany, I'm surprised he did not try to keep a close eye on her once Jon was in her company.

...and why was Dany left alone and unguarded like that? Greyworm already didn't trust Jon, and Jon's whole body language (since Kings Landing was laid to waste) was one of someone walking on egg shells and to be viewed with suspicion!