A massive growth in electric cars will not impact South Africa – Eskom

Temujin

Executive Member
Eskom has stated that South Africa does not need to worry about electric cars affecting its ability to supply power to the country.
Of course not... not able to supply now, won't be able to supply then... no worries, nothing changes:thumbsup:

tridev

In a media statement, Eskom said that electric cars could account for 30% of all motor vehicle sales by 2025.
There will have to be a dramatic reduction in price for them to be 30% of all motor sales in SA.

Those cars will cost so much more than the price it is sold for overseas which is already too expensive for average South Africans.

Marcell1992

April fools was last week Monday.

If serious, they are then openly admitting to corruption, they are capable to product the current requirement plus electric cars.

Fox1

Expert Member
A shot in the dark but maybe some Chinese or Indian car manufacturer wants to flood the market with their cheap electric vehicles and bikes post Eskom loan agreements. Makro is already selling electric bikes.

ConfusedR

We will be getting statements from Eskom.....

"The cause of load-shedding for the past week.............too many people charged their cars' battery......."

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Jissis..... assefokkenblief.... ons sal helfte van die jaar met die voete loop as ons elektriese karre moet ry in die land.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Eskom: Colder weather signals load shedding risk this week

Colder weather conditions will drive up electricity demand, increasing the risk of load shedding this week, Eskom said.

The power utility on Monday issued a statement warning of a high risk of load shedding, as determined by its winter plan.

"The power system is forecasted to be tight for this week," the statement read. "The winter plan indicates a higher demand, with three days being extremely tight, with a high risk of load shedding."

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/Eskom/eskom-colder-weather-signals-load-shedding-risk-this-week-20190408-2

hj007

Does the tax on EV only apply to imported vehicles? Could undercut by 40% if you're able to build your own / retrofit an existing vehicle..

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I expect that people who can afford electric cars will also be able to afford to say no to Eskom, and are looking at going offgrid.

Unfortunately thats less income for Eskom, but better for the environment.

Sl8er

Executive Member
As a general rule of thumb, when eskom tells you not to worry...you should worry....

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Well let's assume 100 000 electric cars charging at 3kw.

That's a peak demand of 300MW but they wont all be charging at the same time, so probably more like 100 to 200MW. Which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

alanB

I don't see how they can say this will not have any effect?

For eg I use about 11kWh a day at home. If I was charging a car each night that would go up by 309% (for a full charge) . So what upgrades to the community substations etc would be necessary if a substantial portion of the residents had that sort of increase in daily energy consumption?

Particularly if you think that that power consumption is going to spike at the same time, when everyone arrives home from work and plugs in their car?

I know that many property developments do not get approval because the additional load on the grid cannot be accommodated in many areas because the existing infrastructure cannot handle the additional load. I know of lots of cases where factories have to pay the municipality to enable them to upgrade a local substation transformers and switch gear to accommodate a factory's planned expansion plans - and we are talking about large amounts.

Also think about what sort of power upgrade a local "petrol/charging station" will need to enable fast charging of cars - if you are going to recharge say five or six 30-40 kWh car battery in a few minutes, what sort of transformer, electrical feed will you need on sight at each station?

Personally I think this will need quite a substantial upgrade of local infrastructure throughout the country.

Currantly

Personally I think this will need quite a substantial upgrade of local infrastructure throughout the country.
We need to upgrade most of the power grid anyway, so part of the long term plan should be accommodating the shift to electrified transport.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The only thing I believe coming out of Eksdom is when there's loadshedding