A matric certificate is insufficient in South Africa

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
A matric certificate is insufficient in South Africa

A matric certificate may not be enough to secure employment in South Africa, according to Professor Sarah Gravett, the executive dean of the faculty of education at the University of Johannesburg.

The official 2019 matric pass rate was recently announced by the Minister of Basic Education, Angie Motshekga.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Well that's somewhat because you reduced the pass rate to be issued it to 5%

DiabloDane

not having it, you s#!t....
having it... you still s#!t

who you know tho..... mmmmmh

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Well... the sad truth is...

Study like there is no tomorrow.
Once you are in the job market, put all those qualifications away and hustle like you only have a matric certificate.

dgcarter

I think I lost my matric certificate the very same week I got it. No one has ever asked to see it.
Now, 10 years down the line, I'm a software developer with a full-time job. Never studied.
Gotta hustle, it's the only way.

beans100

Honorary Master
To find a job only with matric in future is going to be extremely difficult,”
Well, everyone else left the country, only people left is sub matric qualified. So who else is doing the work?

jetlee

The upside of this, is that people that have education and skills, will likely be able to work until they decide to retire at any age .. as there will be no skills to replace them

Corelli

Honestly this is the biggest lot of rubbish I have ever read. Sure it make it easier for immigration, but a piece of paper is just that. And a lot of graduates learnt nothing. Other than attitudes. Boy do they have attitudes.

So you get some HR that only want degrees, but they wouldn't know if the person learnt anything. The others actually make you do a test to check your skills. These are also the people you would most like to work for. They will also spend more money on development.

If you want an admin job, sorry we are replacing those with robotics and Ai. Those jobs are going out of the door.
But some companies also like to start with school-leavers and train them for life in the company. Many companies like Rolls Royce, Caterpillar, Facebook, Oracle etc are like that. You will get better as you go along.

The only reason you need a paper is to immigrate.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Honestly this is the biggest lot of rubbish I have ever read. Sure it make it easier for immigration, but a piece of paper is just that. And a lot of graduates learnt nothing. Other than attitudes. Boy do they have attitudes.

So you get some HR that only want degrees, but they wouldn't know if the person learnt anything. The others actually make you do a test to check your skills. These are also the people you would most like to work for. They will also spend more money on development.

If you want an admin job, sorry we are replacing those with robotics and Ai. Those jobs are going out of the door.
But some companies also like to start with school-leavers and train them for life in the company. Many companies like Rolls Royce, Caterpillar, Facebook, Oracle etc are like that. You will get better as you go along.

The only reason you need a paper is to immigrate.
Came here to say this. One real issue is that people are aiming too high. Not everyone should be following white collar employment.

I'd hire someone with skills over someone with a post matric qualification any day of the week if they can prove their skill set. In IT and software dev, for example, you can be self taught and build up a portfolio for way less $$ than going to uni... the portfolio would impress me more when I hire than the IT certificate or degree.
A degree or post matric qualification does not make you smart but it proves you are a smart individual. There are plenty of smart, capable people who just couldn't afford to go to uni.

We also need more entrepreneurs in this country. Hard work is what makes money. There are plenty of gaps for entrepreneurs and business owners.

cguy

Executive Member
Lol yeah sure :rolleyes:... Pull another one Sarah.

View attachment 766270
I’ve always found it amusing that people with 2 years of a Harvard degree, both (BG and MZ) who completed all the undergraduate requirements for studying graduate level courses (and studied said graduate courses), and dropped out in/before their third because they already knew all the degree contents and wanted to explore the opportunities made available to them (through their Harvard connections) are somehow considered “just matriculants”. BG published a frikken research paper.

Last edited:

cguy

Executive Member
Do you not that that are perhaps places that want a degree AND test/check skills? Like every single major tech company out there...