A Month with a Mac

Perdition

Expert Member
A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

If you don't want to read all 17 pages then just read the first and the last page to get the general idea. It is a very objective article and a worthwhile read for both Mac and PC users. Hopefully this will help put the Mac vs PC argument to rest [;)]

mbs

Expert Member
Interesting article, Perdition - and I read all 17 pages! Can only concur with the author for those aspects personally experienced, and found those additionally mentioned but not personally experienced, to be very enlightening.

I've always advised that the purpose of computing machinery is to achieve a desired resultant, and that firstly, the functionality offered by the OS, application software, hardware features, etc. must be properly aligned towards this purpose. Secondly, issues of cost come into play, and thirdly, issues of freedoms, support and maintenance.

For most corporate business and organisations, this implies Windows and the plethora of business software out there, though there are specific market segments that are far better off with the Mac product, e.g. advertising/desktop publishing and video, if they don't use proprietary products specifically designed and manufactured for that segment. For the hobbyist and geek, however, freedoms are paramount, followed by issues of cost, and both the Windows and Mac platforms fail somewhat on this score - hence, the popularity of Linux. Given its inexorable impact on the three considerations mentioned above when it comes to choice of computing machinery, Linux on generic appliances and assembled boxes will continue making inroads into all segments of the market, IMHO, despite the best efforts of the proprietary vendors and their attempts to create FUD amongst the user public...

chamdo

TRY A MAC!! I read the entire 10 page document and even as a MAC user it woke me up. If you read only the first and last page as suggested then you get a view of MAC sucks and Windows rules but if you read the whole 17 page document then you get a very good idea of the MAC. You can not say that it is a biast report because it was written by a die hard Microsoft user. To qoute kilps 'Try a MAC'. This is so true! If you try it you will be amazed. Doing what this guy who wrote the article is expensive: buying a MAC for an experiment. But you can go to a MAC shop and ask to try it out or go to a friend who has one and try it out. Very soon you will realise that the MAC is much better and if you have the money you will buy one immediately. If you don't have the money you can buy a second hand one which will be just as reliable. This article really puts it into respective. As for my comments on Why the MAC rules it was a terrible argument argued between people who did not know the other system at all! TRY A MAC!! TRY A MAC!! TRY A MAC!! TRY A MAC!! TRY A MAC!!

cmcdonald

Perdition

Expert Member
"...if you have the money..." being the operative words. According to http://www.zastore.co.za the same G5 that Anand used for the review will set you back R23,029.00 and that's without a screen. I'm sorry but there are few people in SA willing to fork over that amount just for the pleasure of using OS X. I agree with Anand on the useful features OS X has that Windows doesn't but it just isn't worth the price tag. I also agree that for that kinda cash you should get a much better video card. For those 23 g's you can get a dual Opteron with 2 gigs of memory, a raid setup, a top of the line video card and still have change left over for a good screen. In raw performance this setup will pummel the G5 into the ground.

Unfortunately chamdo you are preaching to the wrong crowd. Many people on this forum hold jobs of a technical nature and (as mbs stated) prefer the freedom of choice in both hardware and software. The Mac is like a toaster... you take it out the box, plug it in and that's what you get and too bad if you don't like it. Many people here also like to play games which is a department the Mac is sorely lacking in.

Sure I'll use a Mac, if your daddy is buying it [;)]

Strobemeister

Expert Member
Yup, too expensive, and more importantly, futureproofing goes right out the window.
The highest spec macs are always a country mile behind pc's in this catagory.
Plus, most people have little progs they use for various tasks that they've accumulated over time, most of which are freely available somewhere in cyberspace, most of which are not compatible with macs.
A few of my mates have macs, and never let an opportunity slip by to extol the virtues of owning a mac as opposed to a pc. Strangely, most of them also run pc emulators on them to make them compatible with the rest of their stuff, so whats the point?

Telkom - South Africa's Handbrake to progress.

chamdo

So what would happen if the whole of SA turned to MAC? The price would drop considerably and the games would be out there in less than a month! Also I amm not arguing that one is better than the other because of the price! I am talking about the system!

And don't you dare talk about my father like that [:(!]! He commited suicide when I was 5. My school fees are paid by my family trust but everything else including my MAC I have worked for and paid for! TRY A MAC!

cmcdonald

chamdo

Oh and by the way at the begginning of my first reply I said '10 page document' I meant '17 page document'. Sorry [:)]

cmcdonald

kilps

Expert Member
very interesting - so i suppose Apple should work on their hardware - I still stand by what I have said before - Mac is a brilliant OS - but still - the hardware . . .[|)]

All that I ask is that you try out a Mac - kilps

Perdition

Expert Member
Unfortunately Apple rely on IBM for their hardware but there is NOTHING wrong with the G5, the PowerPC 970FX is a fantastic CPU. What Apple do have control over is their pricing and if they were to price their machines more competitively then there would be a lot more market penetration. 2% market share doesn't exactly attract many developers (especially game developers).

chamdo, I apologise for the reference to your father. It was a comment made in jest however with knowledge of the situation it isn't so humourous in retrospect. As for the Mac, unfortunately the SA market does not dictate what Apple does, it is the US market. When it comes to computers consumers vote with their credit cards and in this regard the odds are overwhelmingly in favour of the PC.

chamdo

Perdition it is fine (you did not know)! As I said before if there was a sudden demand for the MAC then the price would drop and the software and hardware would become availible! I will speak to the SA CEO of MAC who is a friend of mine!

cmcdonald

kilps

Expert Member
Must agree - If Apple where to lower prices and upgrade specs they would have a much bigger share of the market - with cheaper computers and the Mac OS Apple would be far more attractive.

All that I ask is that you try out a Mac - kilps