a Narcotics Question

The_MAC

Executive Member
Typical day is as follows:
Wake up at 5, drink cold water to help wake me up, shower, get dressed, smoke a bit of weed and off to work.
Usually take lunch at around 11ish which almost always consists of takeaways/junk food.
Finish work at 17:30, smoke a joint in traffic on the way home, get home at around 19:00ish.
Stop at the liquor store if I know there's no dop at home, usually just drink beer during the week, 5 quarts is my standard per night.
Youtube/Netflix/game while smoking weed (around 2 grams per night) and drinking. If I'm hungry, I'll make some food or order takeaways., but most nights I don't really eat.
Then shower, brush teeth and get in bed at around 23:45 and go to sleep.
I 'm also a big fan of mushrooms and LSD, but confine those to no more than twice a year, more to keep it being something special than due to any heath concerns.

From my student days I remember sleep deprivation can make things quite trippy, but that was due to having to stay up and study/work and not because of drugs.
I will pass.

Although, I think I might feel just as buggered as you with my 2 children in the house and non of that debauchery..

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Typical day is as follows:
Wake up at 5, drink cold water to help wake me up, shower, get dressed, smoke a bit of weed and off to work.
Usually take lunch at around 11ish which almost always consists of takeaways/junk food.
Finish work at 17:30, smoke a joint in traffic on the way home, get home at around 19:00ish.
Stop at the liquor store if I know there's no dop at home, usually just drink beer during the week, 5 quarts is my standard per night.
Youtube/Netflix/game while smoking weed (around 2 grams per night) and drinking. If I'm hungry, I'll make some food or order takeaways., but most nights I don't really eat.
Then shower, brush teeth and get in bed at around 23:45 and go to sleep.
I 'm also a big fan of mushrooms and LSD, but confine those to no more than twice a year, more to keep it being something special than due to any heath concerns.

From my student days I remember sleep deprivation can make things quite trippy, but that was due to having to stay up and study/work and not because of drugs.
Why?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Made a throw away account so I can ask a rather serious question.

I'm a recreational user of Cat or Kat or Khat as the internet calls it and methcathinone as its technically know. Now I use it once a month at least and will consume a gram or more over a number of days, occasionally I will consume large amounts for a very long period of time and will stay awake in excess of 96 hours (4 days) and have pushed it so far as a 192 hours (8 days) with no sleep. I make a conscious effort to consume sufficient fluid and eat enough to consume the kilo joules required and ensure the stuff I get is clean and not cut with all kinds of shite.

What I want to know in scientific terms if anyone knows, what are the actual damages done to one's body and more importantly the brain when not sleeping for that long as I assume they would be severe yet after more that 8 years if doing so occasionally I have not noticed any noticeable affects, I'll outline what I experience as time goes on below.

12 Hours: High Cognitive function and a desire to think and do things ensues

24 Hours: No severe effects provided you were well rested and fed before hand. High
48 Hours: Your body ceases to keep your mouth moist speech becomes impaired and loads of jaw movements and twitching becomes apparent (important to keep yourself hydrated if you value your teeth)

72 Hours: Muscle and weight loss becomes very noticeable (That's how you can go weeps 3x more than the fluid you consume) Keeping still, not fidgeting and making any movements with dexterity becomes difficult. Also by this point your wiener is the size of a cigarette filter.

96 Hours: Speech becomes incredibly difficult to start, silent stutter will be prevalent before uttering the first word. Hallucinations become prevalent (user dependent) especially in dark or difficult to see areas, things appear to move around such as shadows in the distance and objects in your peripheral, focusing your eyes are also very difficult. Heart rate goes through the roof at the slightest physical exertion. Attention to a topic or subject becomes very strange as you'll find yourself incredibly interested in even the most mundane things and your personal bullshit filter will cease operation and you'll talk the biggest pile of shite.

120 Hours: Physical coordination and dexterity becomes very difficult, cognitive function is still high but very much delusional. Your body either runs out of or stops releasing endorphins so you no longer feel as good. Severe weight and muscle mass loss is very prevalent and visible, others will comment you don'y look well and you'll be sweating bullets even in -5 degree weather. Palms and hands break out in a sort if acidic sweat which seems to eat away at your skin if its contacting anything, your feet if you have very tight shoes will be soaking wet and your ankles will have tiny little potholes like most of the Limpopo road network. Anything that requires a good amount of brain function such as a technical question at work or so becomes incredibly difficult to answer and trying to act as sober and stable as possible takes up most of your brain's processing power.

144 Hours to 192 all the above affects become severely multiplied and if you do not consume the vast amounts of the drug required at this point in time your body and brain take over, you will right in the middle of doesn't matter what you are doing enter sort of a highway hypnosis where by you are no longer present yet your body is still doing whatever it is you were doing, be it talking, working or operating some kind of machinery, you'll still do it fine but wont be coherent in your speech and you will have no memory of the events, they can be from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. I was driving to Roodepeoort one morning and remember seeing the off ramp to the hotel I was staying at then next thing I notice is its's a hour and a half later and I had driven to Sasolburg, I watched myself driving by reviewing the dash cam footage, drove completely normal all be it a bit slow and almost never took any off ramps.

I'm sure all this has very bad effects on the brain, I'd like to figure out what they may be. Sources on the internet tend to overstate every little detail (trek die dam onder die eend se gat yt) and scientific articles don't really have any info accept for amphetamine studies from the states but those are way lower consumption figures yet the advantages are prevalent in students with regards to their studies and tests.
My first ex wife ended up in rehab twice cause of this drug.

I can assist you with a good rehab when you've had enough.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Since almost all of humanity has been doing it since forever, ja actually it's pretty normal at this point.
I guess it's kinda like the way humans have been killing one half of their breathing apparatus since forever as well and thinking that's normal. Destroying our environment, internal or external is simply abnormal even if it's taken for granted as habit.

CB40

You think you can manage and suddenly you loose control.
This is a road you do not want to be on. Its a road to nowhere. And that road will be your end. The problem is on your way to nowhere be ready to loose everything close to you.
I think OP is already on that road,so sad but true

Safyrbleu

WRT the OP, sleep deprivation alone does present serious issues such as increased risk of heart disease, increased risk of diabetes, increased prevalence of depression, bipolar and anxiety disorders as well as increased chance of psychosis (even more if there's family history).
Psychotic symptoms develop with increasing time awake, from simple visual/somatosensory misperceptions to hallucinations and delusions, ending in a condition resembling acute psychosis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6048360/

CB40

I have essentially given up on life but lack the commitment to commit suicide, so I'm just keeping myself busy until I die.
Hey man don't just give up like that. There is a rainbow at the end of the tunnel if you just try and see the light.

Life can be a bitch sometimes but you can get through it.Took me five hard years to stop drinking, been off it now for about 20 years and believe me I don't ever regret stopping even if life throws you a curved ball every now and again

itsme2

You are playing with fire. Be very very careful of doing this. You should seek professional help. A friend of mine in college stayed awake for 7 nights on something, and the effects were dire. Not only cognitive, but he suffered permanent stomach ulcers, and failed. I have several friends who totally destroyed their lives due to this drug. Be extremely careful and seek council.

Nick333

Honorary Master
I guess it's kinda like the way humans have been killing one half of their breathing apparatus since forever as well and thinking that's normal. Destroying our environment, internal or external is simply abnormal even if it's taken for granted as habit.
Jaaaaaa. How exactly do you judge the normalcy of a singular species if not by the normal behaviour of individuals of said species? Getting fccked up is normal human behavior. We created civilisations so we could get fccked up on a regular basis. It's worked out pretty great for the likes of you and I, let's be honest.

itsme2

I have essentially given up on life but lack the commitment to commit suicide, so I'm just keeping myself busy until I die.
If only you knew how precious life is. How many people who die of cancer and other diseases would do anything to live another day. You need to find a path the happiness and fulfilment. Don't ever give up. Every human, every moment, is important and special. So, if you truly have nothing to lose, then change your path. Go hike in Tibet, go explore, go and find yourself.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Sad sad state of affairs when people encourage somebody clearly suffering from a strong addiction to keep going.

And people ask why the youth vote in the elections was so poor, probably staying home high as a kite.

And yes, I do actually know what it's like.

@Deadmanza I have a Friend who went through this kind of hell, multiple times and is still so f**** up we don't talk nowadays due to their insane and violent behaviour.

So go back to whatever it is your smoking, go back to your street corner and beg from passers by for money to feed your addiction.

All I fear, is how much you think drug addictions and substance abuse is a joke,

It's a serious and dangerous affliction that ruins families, alienates people, and causes deep scars that never heal.

Safyrbleu

How old are you and what happened to make your life shitty?
I'm 30. I don't have any big traumas to speak of that has made life particularly shitty. I'm just shitty. I know that if I want to be happy, I have to stop drinking and smoking as much, make a concerted effort to make friends and spend time with them and family, focus on investing in the future, find something I am passionate about and improve myself both in a personal and professional capacity. What I cannot get over is the meaninglessness of achieving those goals. Everything ends in death, so no matter what I achieve/do, it all feels absolutely useless in the overall scheme of things.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Sad sad state of affairs when people encourage somebody clearly suffering from a strong addiction to keep going.

And people ask why the youth vote in the elections was so poor, probably staying home high as a kite.

And yes, I do actually know what it's like.

@Deadmanza I have a Friend who went through this kind of hell, multiple times and is still so f**** up we don't talk nowadays due to their insane and violent behaviour.

So go back to whatever it is your smoking, go back to your street corner and beg from passers by for money to feed your addiction.

All I fear, is how much you think drug addictions and substance abuse is a joke,

It's a serious and dangerous affliction that ruins families, alienates people, and causes deep scars that never heal.
Who's encouraging him to keep going?