A once beautiful service turned to absolute trash. - My tale of Rain 5G

Arnold Jansen

My experience with 5G.

Week one the speeds were blazing. Hitting the 600mbit mark. For a grand, I was super impressed, but alas it did not last.

A month later speeds have come down to 200mbit. Still rapid by any degree and for the price still unbeatable.

The last 2 months of service I would describe as having a Telkom experience. My once 600mbit speed has now crawled to 12mbit and 1mbit upload, and yes the router is locked to 5G network. I would need to reboot my router a few times and a speedtest would reveal around 30mbit. Still usable unless you play online games and require a low ping.

Here is the kicker, speedtest would show me a decent speed but everything is slow, pages load slow, youtube loads for like 30sec before playing and so forth its just trash to be honest.

I have logged 14 tickets over the past 2 months and I have only received a generic response about locking my router to 5G network. The service I have received from Rain has been utter rubbish. The fact that I cannot talk to a human being really is not helping their case.

Rain is unfortunately the only ISP that WAS semi decent. It now is now better than my rubbish uncapped Telkom that I once enjoyed. With the promo release of Telkom Uncapped LTE 5 or so years ago, the speeds and service were unmatched, that lasted at least a few years before I just could not take it anymore.

A page out of Telkom's book, Rain had the same fate, they oversold and the whole network went to to hell in a hand basket.

MyBB please do a follow on your article from a few weeks ago, perhaps their CEO could spin us another BS story about how they are improving.

TechnoChicken

My speeds the last couple of weeks have been absolutely great. I was averaging well into the 400's down and over 50 up everyday all day, no disconnects and low latency in all the games I play. It was a treat and I really thought that they sorted their network out now for good.

Yesterday it randomly started dropping and syncing terrible speeds as soon as I could get a connection again. Today the fastest speed I could get thus far on a speedtest (MyBB and Rain speed test)was 71 down and 11 up.

I know a guy in the complex that I live in that also has 5G so I got some feedback from him and it's the same story, horrible connection since yesterday.

I've logged a call with their support this morning but I will be lucky if I hear something before Monday. My previous support request went unanswered for 5 days, and then after that 4 days for the second response.

Yay.

TechnoChicken

Is this congestion or just an unreliable service/tech?

Bit of both to be honest, but definitely more of the latter. I think 5G is great but the folks over at Rain have issues. I've just been speaking to another friend all the way over in the Eastrand (I am in Pretoria) and he's been fighting with Rain since the weekend with the same issues.

Last time this happened the CEO told MyBB that they had some network config issues which will be resolved ASAP. Shortly after the article was posted is when my speed and stability increased again to where it was when I first signed up and it stayed like that for a long time until yesterday.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
My experience with 5G.

Week one the speeds were blazing. Hitting the 600mbit mark. For a grand, I was super impressed, but alas it did not last.

A month later speeds have come down to 200mbit. Still rapid by any degree and for the price still unbeatable.

The last 2 months of service I would describe as having a Telkom experience. My once 600mbit speed has now crawled to 12mbit and 1mbit upload, and yes the router is locked to 5G network. I would need to reboot my router a few times and a speedtest would reveal around 30mbit. Still usable unless you play online games and require a low ping.

Here is the kicker, speedtest would show me a decent speed but everything is slow, pages load slow, youtube loads for like 30sec before playing and so forth its just trash to be honest.

I have logged 14 tickets over the past 2 months and I have only received a generic response about locking my router to 5G network. The service I have received from Rain has been utter rubbish. The fact that I cannot talk to a human being really is not helping their case.

Rain is unfortunately the only ISP that WAS semi decent. It now is now better than my rubbish uncapped Telkom that I once enjoyed. With the promo release of Telkom Uncapped LTE 5 or so years ago, the speeds and service were unmatched, that lasted at least a few years before I just could not take it anymore.

A page out of Telkom's book, Rain had the same fate, they oversold and the whole network went to to hell in a hand basket.

MyBB please do a follow on your article from a few weeks ago, perhaps their CEO could spin us another BS story about how they are improving.
Hi Arnold Jansen,

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so we can further investigate your query?

Regards,
rain_mobile

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Bit of both to be honest, but definitely more of the latter. I think 5G is great but the folks over at Rain have issues. I've just been speaking to another friend all the way over in the Eastrand (I am in Pretoria) and he's been fighting with Rain since the weekend with the same issues.

Last time this happened the CEO told MyBB that they had some network config issues which will be resolved ASAP. Shortly after the article was posted is when my speed and stability increased again to where it was when I first signed up and it stayed like that for a long time until yesterday.
Hi TechnoChicken,

I really do apologize for the experience thus far, please can you share your email address with us via DM so we can look into this for you?

Regards,
rain_mobile

Kiemo

Expert Member
So the more people jump to rain the more congested the towers becomes ... even if the towers shows you full bars the speeds are poor ... I have been with rain for a while now 2018 I think on there 250 package and the best I can get it 1mbps

Kiemo

Expert Member
I asked rain to connect to me to different tower that support the 2600mhz but still waiting

TechnoChicken

Hi TechnoChicken,

I really do apologize for the experience thus far, please can you share your email address with us via DM so we can look into this for you?

Regards,
rain_mobile

Thank you! I sent you my details as per request.

Regards.

Arnold Jansen

Let peter no about me bro

I bet he will get a hold of you.

I was called by him and he put me in touch with one of his engineers. Awesome service received from Peter thus far. Will update on my issue once its resolved. Peter just started, and it seems he is doing his best to change the general perception of Rain.

grimleaper

Seems that Rain is actually throttling the users due to congestion or Back haul issues.
Been with the service since Feb '20. Speeds at the start great 600+ Mb/s. Signal quality and strength excellent (-67dBm at worst)
Last week or so speeds in the 60Mb/s range down and 50Mb/s up (Signal strength and quality exactly the same)

Running the rain optimizer test 400+ Mb/s right now

1591864853372.png
Running Rain speedtest 47Mb/s

1591864985160.png

Since it cannot be both things at the same time, it shows that it is capable but being inhibited (throttled)
and I am definitely not the one doing it.
I am in Pretoria East, Erasmuskloof area.

grimleaper

Also while the speeds were great it was worth the effort of dealing with CGNat remote access issues. But with speeds in the area of midrange Fibre packages that hassle is not worth it anymore. At least with fibre I have a real IP address and easy ways to remote to my devices. Same speed, same price no hassle. Time to go back to Fibre I suppose.

strich8

How is it that you air your gripes about Rain's pathetic (non-existent) service levels and poor infrastructure on this forum and not even a get peep out of them. Do they not monitor MyBB to see what's at stake for their survival? The only reason I've stuck around with them (since Jan 202) is that I thought that because they have big equity stakeholders, they may be able to get their act together. This does not however appear to be the case. I'm now reaching the end of my tether and I'd like to suggest a class-action against these miscreants. Anybody agree?

powermzii

Expert Member
Seems that Rain is actually throttling the users due to congestion or Back haul issues.
Been with the service since Feb '20. Speeds at the start great 600+ Mb/s. Signal quality and strength excellent (-67dBm at worst)
Last week or so speeds in the 60Mb/s range down and 50Mb/s up (Signal strength and quality exactly the same)

Running the rain optimizer test 400+ Mb/s right now

View attachment 858447
Running Rain speedtest 47Mb/s

View attachment 858455

Since it cannot be both things at the same time, it shows that it is capable but being inhibited (throttled)
and I am definitely not the one doing it.
I am in Pretoria East, Erasmuskloof area.
Someone on here mentioned that the optimiser maybe measures speed between tower and your device but not true Internet throughput... It made sense

grimleaper

How is it that you air your gripes about Rain's pathetic (non-existent) service levels and poor infrastructure on this forum and not even a get peep out of them. Do they not monitor MyBB to see what's at stake for their survival? The only reason I've stuck around with them (since Jan 202) is that I thought that because they have big equity stakeholders, they may be able to get their act together. This does not however appear to be the case. I'm now reaching the end of my tether and I'd like to suggest a class-action against these miscreants. Anybody agree?
Totally agree but we'll have a snowballs hope in hell of actually succeeding.
1) Against false advertising maybe... while they verbalize 200Mb/s on the pro package (R999) the fine print still indicate 'Best Effort'
2) Uncapped and unshaped maybe... again the fine print talks vaguely about Fair Use Policy.
3) Against the President brother in law ... yea right ! (ARC biggest investor in RAIN)

So save your effort.

strich8

Totally agree but we'll have a snowballs hope in hell of actually succeeding.
1) Against false advertising maybe... while they verbalize 200Mb/s on the pro package (R999) the fine print still indicate 'Best Effort'
2) Uncapped and unshaped maybe... again the fine print talks vaguely about Fair Use Policy.
3) Against the President brother in law ... yea right ! (ARC biggest investor in RAIN)

So save your effort.
No harm in trying!