A PC monitor connected to a VCR means you must pay a TV licence – SABC

ekske1

Executive Member
I must...
I must...
I must...

Ja jong. Almal soek geld vir gravy; amazingly genoeg betaal ek klaar shitloads of tax.

Hoe amaze balls sou dit wees as daar geen corruption was nie en ons geld het actually iets beteken en na die regte plekke toe gegaan.

Maar nou dis Afrika die, en hier kak en betaal jy. ahaha.

We demund the sweat on your brow. Yes we do.

OCP

Expert Member
i'm surprised they have not just added the charge to the rates and taxes account - the same way they are fleecing us with the R150 water and electriciyt connection tax...

spiff

Expert Member
The licence fee remains payable as long as one has TV receiving equipment in one’s possession.
does that include a tv aerial?

Swa

Honorary Master
does that include a tv aerial?
Funny you say that. In terms of the act it must be a 'set' so it's only receive, decode and display. Display alone doesn't require one. Decode alone doesn't. Receive alone doesn't. A tv actually does have an aerial. It may not be sufficient on it's own but in technical terms it's there sticking out.

uchoose

I wish some tv manufacturer would make a monitor type TV i. e. No tuner, no WiFi, maybe speakers just hdmi and USB ports. I can then plug my android tv box and sound bar in. Could make a cheaper 65" or 75" uhd /4k "TV".

spiff

Expert Member
Funny you say that. In terms of the act it must be a 'set' so it's only receive, decode and display. Display alone doesn't require one. Decode alone doesn't. Receive alone doesn't. A tv actually does have an aerial. It may not be sufficient on it's own but in technical terms it's there sticking out.
I have neither so sabc can kiss my ass - they not getting extortion money from me ;)

Reactions: Swa

Juice

Expert Member
I wish some tv manufacturer would make a monitor type TV i. e. No tuner, no WiFi, maybe speakers just hdmi and USB ports. I can then plug my android tv box and sound bar in. Could make a cheaper 65" or 75" uhd /4k "TV".
Oh, these exist. Huge (and affordable) 40+ monitors. MyBB had an article about one a week or so ago. Also, check out here:

https://www.takealot.com/dell-p4317q-42-5-ultrahd-4k-monitor/PLID45154040
https://www.takealot.com/mecer-43l73f-43-16-9-full-hd-1080p-led-panel/PLID51978319

For example.

Wall

Sports Addict
Still living in the dark ages. VCR, Who the hell still uses a VCR?????????

Neuk_

Expert Member
How does being connected to a VCR, or DVD player or game console, etc. enable a monitor to receive a broadcast?

A “television set” is defined in the Act as “any apparatus designed or adapted to be capable of receiving a broadcast television signal”. This includes a TV monitor (without receiving capability) able to receive a broadcast signal by virtue of being connected to a videocassette recorder (VCR).

genetic

Honorary Master
How does being connected to a VCR, or DVD player or game console, etc. enable a monitor to receive a broadcast?
A VCR has a tuner in it. Some higher-end DVD players do too.

a TV set or monitor connected to a device with a tuner renders the TV set/monitor capable of receiving a television broadcast signal.