A PC monitor connected to a VCR means you must pay a TV licence – SABC

Rabobi

Executive Member
Satellite is broadcast tv and received via hdmi cable. So any tv or screen with hdmi is also a target?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I can't say I have ever seen a VCR or DVD player with a tuner in it :unsure: Learn something new every day.
All VCRs (aka thus the recorder bit on the acronym vs just a player) had a tuner, it was between the areal and the TV, you used the VCR remote to chose the channels you want to watch, it would record what it is tuned to, it would not get the signal from the TV for recording.

system32

Expert Member
capable of receiving a broadcast television signal
That's subject to interpretation and I don't like the way SABC is expanding the definition.

Traditionally it meant a TV Tuner receiving an analog TV signal.

A satellite uses digital data transmission and is not a traditional television signal.

An internet broadcast of a TV channel is a data stream. What's to stop SABC classifying internet as a television broadcast signal.

Here is SABC News Live broadcast...
Do I need a TV Licence for my Cell Phone?

Neuk_

Expert Member
All VCRs (aka thus the recorder bit on the acronym vs just a player) had a tuner, it was between the areal and the TV, you used the VCR remote to chose the channels you want to watch, it would record what it is tuned to, it would not get the signal from the TV for recording.
Aah, that makes sense, brings back memories as well.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Satellite is broadcast tv and received via hdmi cable. So any tv or screen with hdmi is also a target?
That is why the article says:

“Any combination of devices – a VCR, DStv or M-Net decoder or DVD recorder linked to a monitor, plasma or LCD screen – is also defined as a TV set.”

As to what you say, if you have a TV (with a tuner) you must pay, if you have a DSTV decoder connected to a monitor, you must also pay a TV license.

If you have a monitor connected to some box that enables you to get netflix and youtube and showmax and even to DSTV Now, you do not need a TV license.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Desperate times for a mismanaged institution.
Go fvck yourself

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
They are more than welcome to get their license fee from my tax contribution - that is the only way they will ever get any money out of me.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
I blame apartheid

because they created tv licence.

:D

PS: I also blame anc, they should scrap it long time ago.

randburgred

Venomous

Honorary Master
i'm surprised they have not just added the charge to the rates and taxes account - the same way they are fleecing us with the R150 water and electriciyt connection tax...
/PK

Do not go giving them ideas now!
:mad:

access

Honorary Master
they have previously made noise about licensing for cellphones and computers/screens.

are they trying to sneak it in now

MrG

Executive Member
"or video card"

Does an nVidia 180Ti need a tv license? :eek: