A PC monitor connected to a VCR means you must pay a TV licence – SABC

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I don't give a damn what the SABC's definition of a TV is supposed to be, I still won't support a racket posing as a public broadcaster.

Corelli

Expert Member
Who wrote this crap article? Doesnt the person know that a dvd recorder and a dvd player are two different things.

DVD Recorders can record off a source and then play too. (a few have tuners built in).
DVD Players can only play DVD. (no tuners)

Then they question why a DVD Player is included, but SABC clearly state a DVD Decoder.

Where was the editor in this article?

xxx???? A VCR by the way has a tuner built in normally.
While a DStv or M-Net decoder connected to a monitor makes sense in terms of the devices receiving a broadcast signal, connecting a VCR or DVD player to a display does not automatically make it a traditional TV set-up.

Corelli

Expert Member
The irritating thing however is that the TV license is actually a form of tax, and never ever goes away, but simply accumulates.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The irritating thing however is that the TV license is actually a form of tax, and never ever goes away, but simply accumulates.
It also never appears if you ensure you don't exist on their system from the start

uchoose

Oh, these exist. Huge (and affordable) 40+ monitors. MyBB had an article about one a week or so ago. Also, check out here:

https://www.takealot.com/dell-p4317q-42-5-ultrahd-4k-monitor/PLID45154040
https://www.takealot.com/mecer-43l73f-43-16-9-full-hd-1080p-led-panel/PLID51978319

For example.
I'm after the big stuff 65" or 75". You can get a Sinotec 65" TV (or could have) for R999 at makro last month. My idea is make the same TV without a tuner or wifi and not smart as you are using an andoid TV box for all that. Surely that same 65" "TV" could sell at R7500. As soon as you call it a monitor everything doubles in price.

Visser

Expert Member
Voetsek! Won't pay a TV license - no matter what I own or not!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I'm after the big stuff 65" or 75". You can get a Sinotec 65" TV (or could have) for R999 at makro last month. My idea is make the same TV without a tuner or wifi and not smart as you are using an andoid TV box for all that. Surely that same 65" "TV" could sell at R7500. As soon as you call it a monitor everything doubles in price.
TVs are subject to less/no (?) import taxes.

neoprema

Expert Member
Looks like SABC exco worried they won't afford the 2019 Range Rovers. Better make sure we get more money in by reminding everyone about their 1993 tech.

DukeofHouse

When I worked there 10+ years ago, they were bragging about how they didn't really need TV license fees from regular citizens as the advertising revenue and cash injection from government was enough to run the company. IIRC, they used the TV licensing fees for buying better movies and series from the US networks...

neoprema

Expert Member
When I worked there 10+ years ago, they were bragging about how they didn't really need TV license fees from regular citizens as the advertising revenue and cash injection from government was enough to run the company. IIRC, they used the TV licensing fees for buying better movies and series from the US networks...
Seems times have changed now. They just buying deposits at overseas bank accounts...

Stevoz

If only they would put as much effort and detail into curbing corruption and needless spending, as they do with defining what a ****en TV is, we would be better off as a country.

Eat my shorts

VCR? SABC? DVD? SAPO? MultiChoice? ADSL? Fax?

What are these witchcraft items?
Thought they where just rumours we tell our kids

j4ck455

Executive Member
I haven't owned a VCR for a very long time, and while I do still have a DVD player I haven't used that for several years either.

1. Has anyone here actually used a VCR in the last 15 years?
2. Has anyone here actually used a VCR in the last 10 years?
3. Has anyone here actually used a VCR in the last 5 years?

I'm sure there must be many ANC voters that do own a VCR and don't pay TV licence fees.

Bring on the digital terrestrial TV migration, and the SABC can kiss 99.9% of its TV licence fees goodbye.