A PC monitor connected to a VCR means you must pay a TV licence – SABC

genetic

Honorary Master
Bring on the digital terrestrial TV migration, and the SABC can kiss 99.9% of its TV licence fees goodbye.
The license fee still applies whether you receive a digital or analog signal.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The license fee still applies whether you receive a digital or analog signal.
When the analogue broadcasting stops, all of those VCRs and DVD players with builtin analogue tuners (including old TVs) will not be capable of receiving a digital broadcast signal.

It is unlikely that there will be millions of digital terrestrial TV decoders in circulation when analogue broadcasting stops completely, government would have to budget for a lot more subsidised decoders, almost giving these decoders away for free, somehow I don't think there is money for that in the foreseeable future. That means even fewer people paying TV licence fees.

If government wanted to force people to pay SABC TV licence fees, the digital decoders would have a builtin kill switch that the SABC could activate when TV licence fees have not been paid for that decoder.

Lupus

Honorary Master
When the analogue broadcasting stops, all of those VCRs and DVD players with builtin analogue tuners (including old TVs) will not be capable of receiving a digital broadcast signal.

It is unlikely that there will be millions of digital terrestrial TV decoders in circulation when analogue broadcasting stops completely, government would have to budget for a lot more subsidised decoders, almost giving these decoders away for free, somehow I don't think there is money for that in the foreseeable future. That means even fewer people paying TV licence fees.

If government wanted to force people to pay SABC TV licence fees, the digital decoders would have a builtin kill switch that the SABC could activate when TV licence fees have not been paid for that decoder.
At the rate the government is moving, which is about as fast as molasses, most TVs will have built in digital tuners.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Has government decided whether or not the digital STBs are going to support decrypting encrypted broadcasts?

At the rate the government is moving, which is about as fast as molasses, most TVs will have built in digital tuners.
I expect there probably already are TVs being sold locally with embedded digital tuners that support one or more DVB standards as well as decrypting encrypted broadcasts.

In time people will go out and buy new TVs that have an embedded digital tuner. As things are now, people are more likely to buy a DSTV or OpenView decoder instead of a government-inspired digital decoder.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Has government decided whether or not the digital STBs are going to support decrypting encrypted broadcasts?

I expect there probably already are TVs being sold locally with embedded digital tuners that support one or more DVB standards as well as decrypting encrypted broadcasts.

In time people will go out and buy new TVs that have an embedded digital tuner. As things are now, people are more likely to buy a DSTV or OpenView decoder instead of a government-inspired digital decoder.
The free ones won't, not sure about the paid for ones.

genetic

Honorary Master
The Samsung 42" Plasma I bought in 2008 had a digital tuner.

Most modern TV's have digital tuners... also FWIW, SABC has been broadcasting digital from around 2007/8 already. They have just not switched off the analogue transmission network.

Swa

Honorary Master

Most modern TV's have digital tuners... also FWIW, SABC has been broadcasting digital from around 2007/8 already. They have just not switched off the analogue transmission network.
But how good is the reception footprint? With digital you either get it or not. Bet there's going to be lots of complaints once analogue is switched off.

Wasabee!

Executive Member
Need money to pay your VCR and TV licence, just get a better job.

/guvahment logik

Lupus

Honorary Master
But how good is the reception footprint? With digital you either get it or not. Bet there's going to be lots of complaints once analogue is switched off.
Analogue was supposed to be switched off 8 years ago already, but as usual everything here unless it can directly make them money doesn't get done.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Yeah I know they have been broadcasting it for awhile, I picked it up on an old Samsung I had from 2011 already. They've been having this discussion over the STB for so long that digital tuners are getting more and more popular, then again looking at a few township shacks the TVs in there are still CRT.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Bring on the digital terrestrial TV migration, and the SABC can kiss 99.9% of its TV licence fees goodbye.
Hehe. I doubt it. Tax is the pathology of government, and the TV licence is just a recurring annual tax. With digital, our dear overlords will simply load that tax elsewhere - they can't give up control of the state propaganda broadcaster and so will fund it from taxes whatever we do. Wet van Transvaal applies even when Tvl has been abolished.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah I know they have been broadcasting it for awhile, I picked it up on an old Samsung I had from 2011 already. They've been having this discussion over the STB for so long that digital tuners are getting more and more popular, then again looking at a few township shacks the TVs in there are still CRT.
They should just replace the tv's with LCD instead of sponsoring STBs. Will save on those illegal electricity costs.