A Philosophical Question

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Why do you think Eastern philosophies developed into lifestyles, ways of living , guidelines to life so to speak, but never developed into the theme of religion as seen in the western sense?
I.E. total subservience to "church", the idea of a martyr, the idea of resurrection etc.
Yes Buddhism, Shintoism, Daoism and Confucinism are classed as "religious" as in faiths that people follow, but the fanatacism, the fighting between them, the killing in the name of them i.e. crusades ,terrorism , these are western ideals often fought in the name of religion.
In the East, these belief systems coexisted, and still coexist, even under communism they are accepted, yet western style religions arent.
Why didnt western philosophy and western philisophical thought develop along the same lines? it should have, but didnt, why?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Why do you think Eastern philosophies developed into lifestyles, ways of living , guidelines to life so to speak, but never developed into the theme of religion as seen in the western sense?
Their philosophy involved thinking an inner meditation. My guess is they were less ignorant than others

Why didnt western philosophy and western philisophical thought develop along the same lines? it should have, but didnt, why?
Most western religions require you not to think. To unquestionably accept what is being told with some type of faith or another. Out of the box thinking is discouraged. The eastern religions allow themselves to be wrong, and thereby can be expanded and improved upon. The western religions do not.

Xarog

Honorary Master
As W1zard says, Western religions tend to be about controlling the masses, wheras the eastern belief systems seem to be less interested in control and more interested in geniune enlightenment. In short, it appears the east never cottoned on to the fact that controlling one's beliefs can be a form of power in its own right.

Mr TB

Banned
QUESTION 1

Why is the "religion" Allah and the Muslems which will include Islam specifically not mentioned in your first opening post?

Xarog

Honorary Master
Why do you put religion in inverted commas when referring to Islam? Do you believe it isn't a geniune religion?

As for why it wasn't included in the list - I see only eastern religions being named specifically; Islam is related to Judaism and Christianity, and would very much fall under the western category for the purposes of this discussion.

Mr TB

Banned
QUESTION 2

The mentioned "religions" in your opening post co-existed under communism but the communist goverment did everything to destroy christianity,... why?

Xarog

Honorary Master
QUESTION 2

The mentioned "religions" in your opening post co-existed under communism but the communist goverment did everything to destroy christianity,... why?
Because it was a tool for controlling people and the Communists didn't like the competition.

Mr TB

Banned
Why do you put religion in inverted commas when referring to Islam? Do you believe it isn't a geniune religion?

As for why it wasn't included in the list - I see only eastern religions being named specifically; Islam is related to Judaism and Christianity, and would very much fall under the western category for the purposes of this discussion.
But the mistake is made, it did not originate from the west it was carried into the west so it form part of the east and that point can not be ignored...

As for christianity and judaism it was carried into the west from the east... it is not a western religion as stated by you...

Last edited:

Xarog

Honorary Master
But the mistake is made, it did not originate from the west it was carried into the west so it form part of the east and that point can not be ignored...

As for christianity and judaism it was carried into the west from the east... it is not a western religion as stated by you...
Take the Americas out of the picture, i.e. the New World, and all three religions are very much from the west.

Unless you want to start claiming that the Romans were of eastern decent, of course...

Not that the geographical locations actually matter - would you preferred it if the terminology used was Asian and non-Asian? In short, what will stop your nitpicking?

Mr TB

Banned
Sometimes i will put words in inverted commas because of you guys be so full of nonsense...

nocilah

Banned
you will also find eastern religions/philosophies/faiths concentrate on working with your surroundings. They tend to always talk about finding a balance of sorts where as more westernized religions are about the externalised actions and behavior. Overall the western religions tend to be marred by great violence where eastern seems to be very peaceful.

just an observation and not necessarily fact.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Can we get douwdouw banned? This is getting silly. He provides nothing useful to the conversation, talks the biggest load of bollocks out and simply derails otherwise intelligent debates. However, if there are people who find his scribblings useful, then I withdraw my request.

Last edited:

Debbie

Banned
West- linear thinking/orientation...room for only one thing at a time
East- circular thinking/orientation...room for many things simultaneously

Why? Nfi. Power politics maybe?

Mr TB

Banned
Take the Americas out of the picture, i.e. the New World, and all three religions are very much from the west.

Unless you want to start claiming that the Romans were of eastern decent, of course...

Not that the geographical locations actually matter - would you preferred it if the terminology used was Asian and non-Asian? In short, what will stop your nitpicking?
The origin of christianity is if i am correct in the east, that is why the original languages are i think greek, hebrew,aramic...etc...

Then the bible itself was accepted by the Romans(the papal regime) i think 381 AC and spread through the west...

Yes it is definite an easternly thing...

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The origin of christianity is if i am correct in the east, that is why the original languages are i think greek, hebrew,aramic...etc...
All languages that do not have a J for J esus in them.

Last edited:

Nick333

Honorary Master
QUESTION 1

Why is the "religion" Allah and the Muslems which will include Islam specifically not mentioned in your first opening post?
I would assume because he considers Islam a western religion. It originates from the same part of the world as Christianity and Judaism after all.

For the sake of this thread can we all agree to classify eastern as India and anywhere east of India and western as anything West of India.

My theory is that they never cottoned onto the concept of monotheism like they did in the middle east. Monotheism seems to be what leads to dogmatic, fanatical belief systems.
Pantheistic religions do usually have a father/creator god but he usually doesn't have an obsession with the behavior of his individual creations. People are free to explore new and different ideas and then to fit them into pantheistic world view without fear of reprisals from a jealous deity.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Can we get douwdouw banned? This is getting silly. He provides nothing useful to the conversation, talks the biggest load of bollocks out and simply derails otherwise intelligent debates. However, if there are people who find his scribblings useful, then I withdraw my request.
i find them useful for a chuckle :D

Last edited:

Xarog

Honorary Master

Then the bible itself was accepted by the Romans(the papal regime) i think 381 AC and spread through the west...

Can I assume then that you don't have a problem with the classification of Asian and non-Asian with regards to this debate?

nocilah

Banned

The middle east. Islam, Judaism and Christianity derive from there. Bear in mind the Roman Empire expanded from the Mediterranean through to most of southern Europe and parts of Northern Europe.

The Roman Empire attributed a lot to today's laws and structure.

The Roman Empire was basically most of the known world and there was no one religion within the Roman Empire.

Even today Christianity is splintered into various faiths, cults, sects and groups.

And that is something i find strange, but i may be wrong.

There are no splinters in other main religions are there barring perhaps the jew vs the orthodox jew?

nocilah

Banned
I would assume because he considers Islam a western religion. It originates from the same part of the world as Christianity and Judaism after all.

For the sake of this thread can we all agree to classify eastern as India and anywhere east of India and western as anything West of India.

My theory is that they never cottoned onto the concept of monotheism like they did in the middle east. Monotheism seems to be what leads to dogmatic, fanatical belief systems.
Pantheistic religions do usually have a father/creator god but he usually doesn't have an obsession with the behavior of his individual creations. People are free to explore new and different ideas and then to fit them into pantheistic world view without fear of reprisals from a jealous deity.
in theory there are no major religions that hold today from the west.

most religion comes from the Middle East or Far East.