A Philosophical Question

Xarog

Honorary Master
You'd be wrong - Islam is a very splintered religion, and the splintering isn't very peaceful, either.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
As for christianity and judaism it was carried into the west from the east... it is not a western religion as stated by you...
Lets define what you say , that Christianity and Judaism came from the East?
Incorrect, they come from the MIDDLE EAST, small difference in language , big geographically, and as to your questions, Islam, Christianity and Judaism may be from around the Middle East , but they are still generally grouped together as "western style RELIGIONS" they are not classed with the "EASTERN" belief systems.
Judaism is accepted in China by the way, and during WWII, the Japanese never persecuted the jews who lived in Japan, the way they were in Germany, yet Japan was on the same side as Germany.
Christianity is banned in China in the sense of openly being allowed to worship (public) because it is regarded as a "cult", as in having a "figurehead" who's followers obey his words only, above and beyond that of the governments, in other words his followers place his laws above the laws of the state, their beliefs above that of the governments, and their desires above that of their fellow countrymen, and because they try and convert people to their belief system.
There are churches in China, i have seen them on my travels, visited them and spoken to the worshippers, they are allowed their religion, as long as they are attending under free will , and have not been coerced into attending a service through propaganda, advertising or promises of "being saved", in other words free choice.

Nick333

Honorary Master
The Roman Empire was basically most of the known world and there was no one religion within the Roman Empire.
There was always the Roman state religion which all subjects of the empire were required to practice, though not to the exclusion of their own beliefs and practices.
Of course from 300 odd A.D Christianity was the state religion.
?[/QUOTE]

Classification: EASTERN PHILOSOPHY?

Why do you want to ban me ?, for showing you that your cassification of CHRISTIANITY, JUDAISM AND THE MUSLIM FAITH are wrong?...

Please we have to be reasonable...

GamerGirl

Why do you think Eastern philosophies developed into lifestyles, ways of living , guidelines to life so to speak, but never developed into the theme of religion as seen in the western sense?
I.E. total subservience to "church", the idea of a martyr, the idea of resurrection etc.
Yes Buddhism, Shintoism, Daoism and Confucinism are classed as "religious" as in faiths that people follow, but the fanatacism, the fighting between them, the killing in the name of them i.e. crusades ,terrorism , these are western ideals often fought in the name of religion.
In the East, these belief systems coexisted, and still coexist, even under communism they are accepted, yet western style religions arent.
Why didnt western philosophy and western philisophical thought develop along the same lines? it should have, but didnt, why?
From the point of view of most Eastern 'religions' life is an inward journey that the further you go inward, the further the outward journey takes you. The Medieval times was a very dark period in Western history, because of the concept of control. Pagan 'religions' were banished and people mass murdered because they didn't conform.

(interestingly in order to assimilate the Pagan people into Christian thought, many Pagan traditions were assimilated at the same time: trees being decorated at Winter Solstice, the giving of gifts, the 25th of December being a huge festival time for Pagans, the names of the days of the week and months etc etc etc)

For me the best part of Eastern thinking is Karma and re-incarnation.
A basic basic concept, that helps people realise that every step we takes has consequences. rather than living in a world, where the fires of eternal hell generate constant fear. It is a more self-forgiving and learning experience. Yeah, I messed up, I see the consequences of x are y, so next time I avoid it.

An interesting point: I have a friend who is a Buddhist Monk. He wanted to become a marriage officer, in order to legally marry people under the 'religion' of Buddhism. The South African government does not recognise Buddhism as a religion. The kept trying to categorise Buddhism as Islam/Hinduism.

Xarog

Honorary Master

Why do you want to ban me ?, for showing you that your cassification of CHRISTIANITY, JUDAISM AND THE MUSLIM FAITH are wrong?...

The classifications are irrelevant because it does not in any way change the content or the nature of the religions, and so doesn't really have bearing on the discussion. It's like arguing that apples are green and not red when the discussion was really asking "Are apples fruit?"

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma

I am. Your posts are full of half truths and lies. When people ask you to back up what you say, you ignore. You are simply here to spread misinformation. Its not once, its not twice, its almost every post you write.

Have you not noticed even the christians here have alienated you. If you are going to make silly comments like you constantly do. PLEASE SOURCE AND BACKUP WHAT YOU SAY.

However, my post is now getting as petty as yours, so thats all I am going to say on the subject.

There was always the Roman state religion which all subjects of the empire were required to practice, though not to the exclusion of their own beliefs and practices.
Of course from 300 odd A.D Christianity was the state religion.
?
[/QUOTE]

well considering the Roman Empire spanned over +/- 1000 years it would be difficult to pin one religion over the Empire, especially considering the fall of the Roman Empire started in about +/-370 AD.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Shortly after the decree of Theophilus in 391. A connection perhaps? Was the burning of the Library of Alexandria and dominance of religion that start of the dark ages?

CHRISTIANITY... was carried from jerusalem into the areas of judea and samaria, and from there unto the ends of the earth...

Please check that it started in jerusalem and not in rome as you suggested...

Nick333

Honorary Master
well considering the Roman Empire spanned over +/- 1000 years it would be difficult to pin one religion over the Empire, especially considering the fall of the Roman Empire started in about +/-370 AD.
At the risk of harping on something fairly irrelevant to the discussion, you are wrong, there was the one roman religion that spanned almost the entire history of ancient Roman civilization. That and christianity towards the end.

http://www.roman-empire.net/religion/religion.html

Last edited:

Xarog

Honorary Master
CHRISTIANITY... was carried from jerusalem into the areas of judea and samaria, and from there unto the ends of the earth...

:confused:

Who said Christianity started in Rome?

Nick333

Honorary Master

Completely irrelevant.

well considering the Roman Empire spanned over +/- 1000 years it would be difficult to pin one religion over the Empire, especially considering the fall of the Roman Empire started in about +/-370 AD.[/QUOTE]

Now we are starting to get to a point "STATE RELIGION", that is where it went wrong, it is not suppose to be a "STATE RELIGION". If you are willng to take note now, you noted the roman empire falls apart, the "STATE" takes the bible out of the peoples' hands and the "RELIGIOUS" now starts to rule misusing the bible....Are you still with the plot... "SATAN" of all due respect now pervert church leadership and rules the so-called church between the years +-350ac-1450ac...

STATE RELIGION is not CHRISTIANITY, it caused plenty of injury to CHRISTIANITY...

Xarog

Honorary Master
Nanfeishen : I suggest you start a new thread, add an "Assume for the purposes of this discussion that every religion created west of India to be a western religion", and that way we can avoid having to deal with douwdouw's pointless blathering.

At the risk of harping on something fairly irrelevant to the discussion, you are wrong, there was the one roman religion that spanned almost the entire history of ancient Roman civilization. That and christianity towards the end.

http://www.roman-empire.net/religion/religion.html
The real unfortunate thing is you are not willing to understand that there is a difference between "STATE RELIGION" and "CHRISTIANITY". Your incredible unwillingness to pay attendance to the difference make it actually impossible to explain christianity to you...

The waining in the forums concerning other religions are unjustified if you are not willing to accept the truths about christianity...

No martyrship in buddishm etc. is a straitghtforward lie.
Sitting on spikes while meditating, walking through fire etc, powers of concentration... martyrship is the same thing...

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The real unfortunate thing is you are not willing to understand that there is a difference between "STATE RELIGION" and "CHRISTIANITY". Your incredible unwillingness to pay attendance to the difference make it actually impossible to explain christianity to you...

The waining in the forums concerning other religions are unjustified if you are not willing to accept the truths about christianity...

No martyrship in buddishm etc. is a straitghtforward lie.
Sitting on spikes while meditating, walking through fire etc, powers of concentration... martyrship is the same thing...
Rubbish post.