a simpler viewing experience wanted..........

10tpeg

Have a dumb Samsung TV, a dumbish Samsung Home theatre for some nice sound, and an Apple TV - We are an Apple home - throw stones ye haters........ Watched Netflix for 4 years, because I refuse to pay Rxxx for DSTV as we're not sports crazy people.

Flash forward to 2017 - got tired of the Netflix same old same old, and Amazon Prime launched in SA - some nice variety - add to this my mate has kindly let me use his username and pword for DSTV Now. (for the odd bit of sport, and there are actually the odd cool series and movie!)

Heres the thing - my 'old' Apple TV doesnt have the facility for 3rd party apps - The NEW Apple TV doesnt host an Amazon Prime app. So we end up AirPlaying DSTV Now and Amazon Prime - which is a real hassle for my tech challenged much better half. So Im looking for a neater solution that wont cost a new sooper dooper TV....

Reasonably priced options seems to be an Android TV box, or A Smart Home theatre system. I'm not sure what the limitations of these are, what apps you can and cant install - can I Airplay to them if I want to show the video of Jimmy Bob on his new bike?

Help gratefully accepted!!!!!

Nicholas Lisse

Have a dumb Samsung TV, a dumbish Samsung Home theatre for some nice sound, and an Apple TV - We are an Apple home - throw stones ye haters........ Watched Netflix for 4 years, because I refuse to pay Rxxx for DSTV as we're not sports crazy people.

Flash forward to 2017 - got tired of the Netflix same old same old, and Amazon Prime launched in SA - some nice variety - add to this my mate has kindly let me use his username and pword for DSTV Now. (for the odd bit of sport, and there are actually the odd cool series and movie!)

Heres the thing - my 'old' Apple TV doesnt have the facility for 3rd party apps - The NEW Apple TV doesnt host an Amazon Prime app. So we end up AirPlaying DSTV Now and Amazon Prime - which is a real hassle for my tech challenged much better half. So Im looking for a neater solution that wont cost a new sooper dooper TV....

Reasonably priced options seems to be an Android TV box, or A Smart Home theatre system. I'm not sure what the limitations of these are, what apps you can and cant install - can I Airplay to them if I want to show the video of Jimmy Bob on his new bike?

Help gratefully accepted!!!!!

I'm running a Mac Mini. It works flawlessly. Used to have a older one, 2009 vintage and SSD'd it. It was fantastic. I swooped it out for my dads 2013 version with HDMI and it works just as flawlessly.

He uses the 2009 model, and despite needing better sound (no HDMI), he is quite happy.

SDM

Amazon Prime is coming for Apple TV, though it's not known when other than "later this year"

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Amazon Prime is coming to the ATV4 “soon”.

Get Plex to sort the rest.

steco777

Get a Roku . It has amazon , google play and many other channels which Apple doesn't have . Android interface is shocking it's like a mobile phone projected onto a screen.Roku doesn't have dstv apps i.e. Showmax and dstv now as they don't support widevine drm

Hemps

Honorary Master
Regarding Amazon prime, where can i get up to date list of what shows they offer?

With IOS app can you airplay everything to ATV4?

Last edited:

steco777

Regarding Amazon prime, where can i get up to date list of what shows they offer?

With IOS app can you airplay everything to ATV4?

Download an app called "justwatch" choose your region and it will show you all streaming services in specific country and all shows available and added

Damac10

Mi Box. Android Tv os. Pretty and easy. Voice control. 4k youtube and Netflix. Kodi 17 etc

Hemps

Honorary Master
On their website?

And yes.

Even after signing in with the amazon account I use for amazon US I still cant see what shows are available unless I select trial and enter details etc.

Maybe the ipad app will give me more details.

Quality of the video streams?
Like Netflix or more like Showmax?

Edit: installed ipad app, signed in with US amazon account and it shows everything , assume I'm on SA shows available.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Even after signing in with the amazon account I use for amazon US I still cant see what shows are available unless I select trial and enter details etc.

Maybe the ipad app will give me more details.

Quality of the video streams?
Like Netflix or more like Showmax?

Edit: installed ipad app, signed in with US amazon account and it shows everything , assume I'm on SA shows available.

It’s a bit of confusion with the naming but the Amazon Prime and Prime Video aren’t the same.

You want to sign up through Primevideo.com.