A suggestion to the powers at be at RAIN for the R479pm, 24/7 Unlimited 4G deal

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Or atleast managed there network slightly better instead of permanenty throttling youtube and netflix. Shape traffic accordingly. I get upset that I get 30mbps download continously on this package the whole day but I can't get more than 240p quality on YouTube. I don't want 30mbps shape that give me just 10mbps but atleast IL have 720p netflix and youtube.
How do you know that by their current implementation they're not managing their network better?

Ramiro16

And apologies for my venting. Rain gave us the incredible R250 package for a good year and a bit no restrictions nothing. They now offered us 24/7. We are still all used to the R250 package. Everyone that upgraded doesn't mind paying the extra money but atleast keep the package similar to what we experienced for so long. Everyone has different needs for internet but flip. Rather throttle high bandwidth users and leave us 60-70Gb/pm guys alone.:D

CarmenR

Or atleast managed there network slightly better instead of permanenty throttling youtube and netflix. Shape traffic accordingly. I get upset that I get 30mbps download continously on this package the whole day but I can't get more than 240p quality on YouTube. I don't want 30mbps shape that give me just 10mbps but atleast IL have 720p netflix and youtube.
They need spectrum. Adding thousands of new users to their network every month will have bandwidth drawbacks. And they do this by limiting the main draw on their network. And that is Torrents and streaming services. So they throttle those services.

Ramiro16

They need spectrum. Adding thousands of new users to their network every month will have bandwidth drawbacks. And they do this by limiting the main draw on their network. And that is Torrents and streaming services. So they throttle those services.
I understand that but what I don't understand is a hard cap on YouTube quality. Surely there network doesn't run at 100% capacity the whole day? Shape traffic better to offer a more balanced service throughout the day. I can understand shaping youtube at peak times, but I cannot understand why at 2am they still hard cap youtube for instance.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I understand that but what I don't understand is a hard cap on YouTube quality. Surely there network doesn't run at 100% capacity the whole day? Shape traffic better to offer a more balanced service throughout the day. I can understand shaping youtube at peak times, but I cannot understand why at 2am they still hard cap youtube for instance.
Damn dude. This lockdown got us watching YouTube at 2AM.

quovadis

Expert Member
More spectrum on existing towers isn't necessarily the answer - An increase in tower density to service high bandwidth requirements is supposed to be the topology for 5G.

CarmenR

More spectrum on existing towers isn't necessarily the answer - An increase in tower density to service high bandwidth requirements is supposed to be the topology for 5G.
The rollout of 5g will be slow. Especially now that they say 5g causes Corona Virus.

ngoni615

Alright OP seems to ignore the peak period in which, if not due to the lock down, thats when most people actually sit back relax and use the internet after work. The 24/7 package has its limitations which are clearly stated and i do not see any other provide offering the same deal. The 250pm also has its limitations (peak period) and buying peak time data is bloody expensive. A friend of mine upgraded to the 24/7 package and here in sarnia pinetown, he gets a locked 10/10 u/d speed and he has never been happier. You should also consider the area you live in. The only drawback is streaming but then again he hardly streams and uses it for something else. If you do not like a package, then do not upgrade. No one held a gun to your head to upgrade and u can simply downgrade if you feel it is unfair or better yet try out other service providers.