A US company now has R400 million to teach Americans that biltong is much better than jerky

Arthur

Honorary Master
A good bit of rugby history especially for the US. I really liked this guys team profiles leading up to the world cup. He does a great analysis.
Yeah, a bit of a jaundiced view, but it tells a story. It was the toff (southern) English insistence on keeping rugby amateur and banning payment to players that effectively created Rugby League in the UK and NFL in the USA, after the 1920s. Despite that, rugby (union) was and is very popular at many high schools and colleges in the USA. My son-in-law, a Boston lad who went to college in Dallas, played rugby union at school and university in the USA in this century. Both school and college have played rugby since forever.

Another surprising fact for Saffers: Dallas is a big cricket centre. It has about twenty cricket teams in a local league. Very many (Asian) Indians. Some aspiring players in India go to a top cricket coaching clinic in Dallas. Local is huge in the USA, and you can't generalise from the few things that break through into national and international media.

That said, I would have preferred if rugby (union) stayed mostly amateur. I don't really like professional sports as a cultural phenomenon.

Last edited:

Craig

Honorary Master
This. I can not think of one local store that has nice biltong.
In the eikestad mall there is a biltong shop, bloody nice biltong and droewors. My kids barely wants to eat the kak the sell at the food lovers market.

Drifter

Honorary Master
We have a little shop in Vereeniging that makes the perfect biltong. They guy is quite clever also, he has a stand (like a boerie roll thing) that he parks in front of the bottle store. Making a killing.

krycor

Honorary Master
Something I wonder about is this.. has South Africa branded and copyrighted the words boerewors, biltong and droewors ?

Much like Champaign, Parmesan cheese etc. as this is where the value really is vs the product.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Something I wonder about is this.. has South Africa branded and copyrighted the words boerewors, biltong and droewors ?

Much like Champaign, Parmesan cheese etc. as this is where the value really is vs the product.
Those names are not PC

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master

wonder why we dont, like pizza or Pasta a country should have something representing their country as a trademark.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
A few years ago I chatted about this to a Vrystaat boer now in Texas. He said that most US beef is unsuited to making tasty biltong as we know it, not because it's lousy quality but because most beef there has a higher fat content in the flesh itself. Apparently that's the way they breed and feed their cattle, to suit American tastes.

My sister has just emigrated to Texas and next month they start intensive cattle ranching. Her husband is buying herds as we speak. She'll be looking into this once they're established. Will be interesting to see what the issues are. I've shared the OP link with her husband.
I don't know, i think US meat is lousy especially when compared to South African meat, very few countries beat the taste of SA meat imo.

krycor

Honorary Master
Are there any trademark wine varieties coming from SA?
wonder why we dont, like pizza or Pasta a country should have something representing their country as a trademark.
It’s a bit different..

On the wine side they were a few years ago but I doubt they were successful. Keep in mind that wine is more of a general product so it would have to define wines fro a region with some unique characteristics.

So pizza, pasta describes a type of food.. dried meat again, describes a type of food. Biltong e.g. describes a specific process of preparation and the consumer expectation of what that product will taste like exists. Ie it’s not that generic.

I’d say in SA the word is used as interchangeably as perhaps champagne was used where it basically is just sparkling wine. Remember in the past it was in Western Cape albeit not possible as the sparkling wine is specific for those from a region in France. So in the biltong case it would be defined to have undergone a specific process with spices etc and perhaps have limits on meats used?

I know it sounds stupid but when you realise the value lost where others have gained enormously for it, including beef jerky ironically.