A/V and Home Theatre: article suggestions

andrewlynch

Hi Guys,

I'm the founder of CableKiosk. A business that I started in my digs at Rhodes University.

We are very interested in contributing to the knowledge base of A/V and Electronic enthusiasts, kinda like what Yuppiechef does for baking . We've have written articles about why HDMI cables are over priced but I'm interested in knowing what intrigues the MyBB community. I've had suggestions about everything from Arduino to how to install cabling in the walls of your home.

Extra suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The salesman of the place that I bought my kit from is a believer of the HDMI myth. He said he could show me the difference on an oscilloscope - I dont think he understood why that would be meaningless.

Your stock is a bit limited though.

One thing that interests me about the South African market in particular, is why it is so much easier to find an AV receiver than component speakers. Game will sell you an AV receiver but not the speakers you would need to go with it. Why?

Another interesting subject is how to merge home theatre needs and normal lounge needs. Normal lounges often conflict with speaker placement - how would you get around this?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I tend to use the 5 channel stereo setting on my Yamaha RX-V475 for any media type...music and movies. It just sounds so much better. Even if I have dolby encoded movies, the music setting makes the movies sound much better. When or how will i have any advantage over the music setting when watching a movie?

OverKill69

I tend to use the 5 channel stereo setting on my Yamaha RX-V475 for any media type...music and movies. It just sounds so much better. Even if I have dolby encoded movies, the music setting makes the movies sound much better. When or how will i have any advantage over the music setting when watching a movie?

Are you using Dolby Pro Logic when watching movies?
I used to use PLII when listening to stereo content, and I always thought the Music setting sounded better than the Movie setting. This is because the Music setting emphasizes the main speakers more and the Movie setting emphasizes the center speaker.
I've actually stopped using PLII though because in my new movie room... Stereo sounds fantastic!! My speakers are further apart so I get a really good stereo image.

So... the cable debate...

I will nail my colours to the mast here and say that I think cables make next to no difference once a certain level of quality is reached.
I studied signals for a few semesters at University and I don't see how Cable A (once the base standard for HDMI 1.4 cable has been met) will make any difference in picture and sound quality to Cable B.
It is a DIGITAL signal.
So you either get massive tears in the screen, major "snow", dead sectors or massively delayed or corrupted audio if the cable is not performing.
That's if there are frequency losses due to bad cable.
But if the cable is fine...
I don't see how one cable transfers a digital signal better than another?
It's not RCA cable where you get resistivity losses and interference. (analogue signal)

I honestly think once you pass the R150 mark for 1,2m of HDMI cable... you should start asking questions.

On a different note:
I got a bit dronk with my mates a few weeks ago and we've engineered a double blind experiment to try and answer the cable question once and for all.

We're gonna use 3 different premium brand speaker cables, 1 mid-level brand, solid core 20amp electrical flat cable and normal flexi-chord.
The system will be POTENT. It's all gonna go down in a high end audio boutique, using Classe processors and mono blocks, and 804D's. I cant wait to take a photo of that setup with flexi-chord and electrical cable.

Once we've sorted out the speaker cable debate once and for all... We're going to setup the system back to the shop standard and try a few crap HDMI cables that I've got floating around, a few decent "cheap" ones for around the R100 mark... and then the high end ones that the shop uses.

the test team will comprise of:
Me, I'm the skeptic
There's 2 sound salesmen and self-professed audiophiles (with a vested interest)
1 award winning music producer and sound engineer
His girlfriend (she's no stranger to HiFi)
My girlfriend (she's there to keep it all honest)

I will bring a laptop to generate signals and there will be another laptop to measure the signal reproduction through a top drawer microphone.

We all have our own strengths and weaknesses... and our own preferred testing media. So we'll be playing a few blurays and some music too.

This will all go down early next year when the shop is less busy... I can't wait!!!

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
When connecting from PC to Receiver, is it best to change your speaker setup on your pc to 5.1? or leave it as stereo and let your receiver decode it as 5.1?

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
Linking home theatre systems to home automation, and the associated requirements and estimated costs.

You will, however need to brush up on your English writing skills before embarking on this journey...

ponder

Honorary Master
I've found most audio people to be punting silicon snake oil, even the likes of avsa and international mags.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
it would be relatively easy to blow the HDMI debate out of the water once and for all.

With HDMI cables being digital, in laymans terms you put bits in at one end and get bits out the other hand. In the middle, there are voltage levels and voltage droops and all that stuff.

But we are only concerned about the bits and bytes, since those make up the picture and sound. Therefore, to verify whether there is a difference between two cables, we simply need to compare the error rate for two predefined streams of bits using both cables. We can have copies of the streams at both the source and destination, stream from source to destination, and then compare the results. Any difference will show up as differences between the source and what was received at the destination.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Hi, so I want to try something cheap without having to buy a wifi dongle for my receiver.

I connected my receiver via its LAN port to my PC. My PC has a wireless dongle that is connected to my network.
The reason why I connected the receiver to the PC is because I want to try and stream things from the net to my receiver, and maybe perform a software update, and control the receiver via the phone application.

I have a Yamaha RX-V475.

Is it possible for the receiver to share the computers' network and grant me access to the net?

If so, what do I need to play around with on the pic below. TIA.

20141022_192202.jpg

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Hi, so I want to try something cheap without having to buy a wifi dongle for my receiver.

I connected my receiver via its LAN port to my PC. My PC has a wireless dongle that is connected to my network.
The reason why I connected the receiver to the PC is because I want to try and stream things from the net to my receiver, and maybe perform a software update, and control the receiver via the phone application.

I have a Yamaha RX-V475.

Is it possible for the receiver to share the computers' network and grant me access to the net?

If so, what do I need to play around with on the pic below. TIA.

View attachment 160477

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I know this is an old thread, but I've always had issues with connecting a R20,000.00 component/speakers or another R20,000.00 component/speakers with a R50.00 cable. It's a mind thing in that it needs to be a certain value.

On the digital is digital - what about jitter?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Sorted.

I bought this little gem:
Wireless N 150 Bridge/Access Point

Quick and easy to set up and MUCH cheaper (I paid R400) than the official Yamaha Bridge that retails for R1200.

It works a charm and it works with your phone as well.

Thanks to the guy that sent me the PM, not sure if I can mention you in this post as it was a PM, and thanks Gallderhen for your input.

I got the latest software update as well.

/wonders if he should buy the Velodyne EQ Max 12 now, or wait for his bonus...

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I replaced my 300mbps wifi dongle that was plugged into my pc with that little gem in the previous post which is only 150 mbps.

Will this have an effect on download speeds?
I have 2 MB line.

And on my streaming from the net?

and streaming locally?

Messugga

Honorary Master
I replaced my 300mbps wifi dongle that was plugged into my pc with that little gem in the previous post which is only 150 mbps.

Will this have an effect on download speeds?
I have 2 MB line.

And on my streaming from the net?

and streaming locally?
Really, really shouldn't. Unless your WiFi spectrum is saturated to hell and back.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Really, really shouldn't. Unless your WiFi spectrum is saturated to hell and back.
But why shouldn't I? I have no problems and it works a charm but some more technical info on the topic will be good.