A Windhoek ad has been banned for suggesting real men – like Gerard Butler – drink real beer

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
I’m going to pretend it’s a serious question.

There shouldn’t be a boy or a girl team, just a team.

And as that’s unlikely to happen, no of course not he would be on an all boys team because that’s the stupid way we do things.
Up until a certain age it shouldn't matter. When they get to the age when boys become stronger and faster it does matter. The girls will just be weeded from all teams for not being good enough.

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
How does this work in chess?

Even chess has seperate divisions for the sexes. Not that women aren't allowed to play against men. But men aren't allowed to join the womens division, because you would have men winning that as well.

If women would like to partake in mens sports the possibility of them excelling will be rare, but nothing is stopping most women from trying and failing.

The seperation into sexes is a practical one that makes sense in terms of promoting fair competition, and providing women and girls with opportunities which they wouldn't have if all competitons were open.

Last edited:
Reactions: SZN

Vorastra

Executive Member
I’m going to pretend it’s a serious question.

There shouldn’t be a boy or a girl team, just a team.

And as that’s unlikely to happen, no of course not he would be on an all boys team because that’s the stupid way we do things.
Single-handedly pushing all women out of every physical sport.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Up until a certain age it shouldn't matter. When they get to the age when boys become stronger and faster it does matter. The girls will just be weeded from all teams for not being good enough.

And that would be the natural way to go about things, not weed them all out by default.

It also doesn’t apply universally to all sports, yet this segregation happens regardless.

We see it now with the emergence of e-sports yet again where there is no reason whatsoever based on physical attributes and yet here we are.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Even chess has seperate divisions for the sexes. Not that women aren't allowed to play against men. But men aren't allowed to join the womens division, because you would have men winning that as well.

And this is exactly the kind of activity where there is no logic in such a separation. We just do it because it’s normalised as such.

If women would like to partake in mens sports the possibility of them excelling will be rare, but nothing is stoping most women from trying and failing.

Everything is stopping them. The entire system of societal norms says they are not allowed to even try and fail, they simply can’t be there in the first place.

The seperation into sexes is a practical one that makes sense in terms of promoting fair competition, and providing women and girls with opportunities which they wouldn't have if all competitons were open.

What about racing? What about figure skating or gymnastics?

By and large it’s got very little to do with practicality.

And even amongst only women the competition is hardly equal as we’ve seen in recent years with athletics etc, because the fairness isn’t as simple a thing to define.

It’s a construct effectively.

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
And that would be the natural way to go about things, not weed them all out by default.

It also doesn’t apply universally to all sports, yet this segregation happens regardless.

We see it now with the emergence of e-sports yet again where there is no reason whatsoever based on physical attributes and yet here we are.
My guess is that the reaction time of men are superior to that of woman. Which would explain the division in e-sposts as well.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
My guess is that the reaction time of men are superior to that of woman. Which would explain the division in e-sposts as well.

Nope it’s not based on anything like that.

It’s based purely on the way it’s always been done whether sensible or not.

That and the very underlying toxicity this thread is based on of course, because women as snow flakes who can’t deal with real men didn’t you know?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Why does he have to grow to enjoy beer? Some people do, some people don't. I prefer a cold Pepsi myself nowadays, though once in a blue moon will have a beer.

Aah yes the old someone who doesn’t drink or can’t drink a lot isn’t a real man analogy also shows up.

No surprises there.

It’s so manly to get **** faced and have a complete lack of self control. So very brave.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Aah yes the old someone who doesn’t drink or can’t drink a lot isn’t a real man analogy also shows up.

No surprises there.

It’s so manly to get **** faced and have a complete lack of self control. So very brave.
Yup as an 18 year old this was my thinking, for the last decade or so I've drunk less and less alcohol.
I've still got whisky people bought for my birthday 6 years ago. There were beers in my fridge from March last year.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What’s most interesting to me is how much of a South African phenomenon this whole beer is manly thing is.

In Europe they couldn’t give a toss who drinks the beer and it doesn’t make anyone less or more manly.

The men and women all partake equally and there’s no weird tie to your sexuality or masculinity based on what beer you drink or don’t drink.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yup as an 18 year old this was my thinking, for the last decade or so I've drunk less and less alcohol.
I've still got whisky people bought for my birthday 6 years ago. There were beers in my fridge from March last year.

As an 18 year old I can almost understand it as a new thing and being experimental and all that.

But it’s really sad and quite pathetic to see 30+ olds still behave like that.

Lupus

Honorary Master
As an 18 year old I can almost understand it as a new thing and being experimental and all that.

But it’s really sad and quite pathetic to see 30+ olds still behave like that.
Yup, even some of my friends who do like the taste of beer have switched to non alcoholic. Even switching to those Woolies non alcoholic drinks.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Single-handedly pushing all women out of every physical sport.

I will agree this has gone off track and wasn’t really my intention.

My objection is rather that some sports are deemed for boys and others for girls, not really so much that there are segregated teams.

I just got caught up in the motions there.

It’s the same as the underlying notion of boys wear blue and girls wear pink or boys play with cars and girls with dolls (even when Heman is Batman is a doll technically).

While the team segregation makes some sense, the overall sport segregation doesn’t.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I was already in my early 20s when I tried beer. It tasted awful. Whiskey, rum and wine tasted better. I've gotten drunk before but it's not a good feeling at all.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Nowadays the only drink that gives me a small sort of buzz is mixing Guinness with Whiskey. 3 or 4 doubles of that, a few lines of coke, an unsuspecting co-worker and Bob's ya uncle.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I was already in my early 20s when I tried beer. It tasted awful. Whiskey, rum and wine tasted better. I've gotten drunk before but it's not a good feeling at all.
Yup being drunk sucks

Lupus

Honorary Master
I will agree this has gone off track and wasn’t really my intention.

My objection is rather that some sports are deemed for boys and others for girls, not really so much that there are segregated teams.

I just got caught up in the motions there.

It’s the same as the underlying notion of boys wear blue and girls wear pink or boys play with cars and girls with dolls (even when Heman is Batman is a doll technically).

While the team segregation makes some sense, the overall sport segregation doesn’t.
The whole pink, blue thing is rather recent. Before the 1900s it was the other way around.