A Windhoek ad has been banned for suggesting real men – like Gerard Butler – drink real beer

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
And this is exactly the kind of activity where there is no logic in such a separation. We just do it because it’s normalised as such.
Erm... the mens division in chess is open to both genders. If there was only one competition without a womans division, women wouldn't get past the preliminary stages to even enter the competitive rounds. The application is a practical one, i.e provide woman with opportunities to excell and the only way that this can be done is to provide them with their own division.

Everything is stopping them. The entire system of societal norms says they are not allowed to even try and fail, they simply can’t be there in the first place.
Years of evidence that women are not as good as men in sports is what's stopping them. Take marathons as an example. Men and woman run the same race but prizes are based on the winners gender. If women started winning the main competions you may have a shout at removing the two divisions.

What about racing? What about figure skating or gymnastics?

By and large it’s got very little to do with practicality.
Racing requires strength and a good reflexes both of which men are better than women. Even in gymnastics you will find that men and women will be better at certain events due to the physical requirements and attributes of the sexes.

And even amongst only women the competition is hardly equal as we’ve seen in recent years with athletics etc, because the fairness isn’t as simple a thing to define.

It’s a construct effectively.
That doesn't matter, as long as there is a space for women to compete. Open competitions that don't provide for a womans division will effectively kill womens partitcipation in sports.

Last edited:

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
Losers at the ARB pushing Big Lime's agendas.
Underrated post.

The ARB removed the add based on their interpretation of the ad. Gerard Butler's character basically said keep it real, you don't drink lime with a real beer. Everything else is interpretation based on innuedo, which I don't think is enough to pull an ad.

Last edited:

Aghori

Honorary Master
Erm... the mens division in chess is open to both genders. If there was only one competition without a womans division, women wouldn't get past the preliminary stages to even enter the competitive rounds. The application is a practical one, i.e provide woman with opportunities to excell and the only way that this can be done is to provide them with their own division.

Years of evidence that women are not as good as men in sports is what's stopping them. Take marathons as an example. Men and woman run the same race but prizes are based on the winners gender. If women started winning the main competions you may have a shout at removing the two divisions.

Racing requires strength and a good reflexes both of which men are better than women. Even in gymnastics you will find that men and women will be better at certain events due to the physical requirements and attributes of the sexes.

That doesn't matter, as long as there is a space for women to compete. Open competitions that don't provide for a womans division will effectively kill womens partitcipation in sports.

Women have it quite bad now, with men who suffer from mental illness competing against them.

transformer.jpg

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Racing requires strength and a good reflexes both of which men are better than women.

And how do we know this when they haven’t been allowed to compete in racing for decades?

We can’t just decide this without letting them in and giving them a generation to catch up in a completely male dominated sport.

Racing also required endurance, something women excel at generally. Women are also smaller and lighter giving them additional advantage.

Without an opportunity to perform we can’t claim men are inherently better suited to racing.

We are seeing women taking over this sport more and more simply through virtue of actually being allowed in the door.

Same goes for esports. We don’t actually know that men are any better or worse than women, we just have a dataset predominantly filled with men completely screwing the stats in their favour. The few women brave enough to compete in a predominantly male scene are excellent in their own right but fight a constant up hill battle while being a drop in the ocean of the demographic.

rietrot

Honorary Master
What’s most interesting to me is how much of a South African phenomenon this whole beer is manly thing is.

In Europe they couldn’t give a toss who drinks the beer and it doesn’t make anyone less or more manly.

The men and women all partake equally and there’s no weird tie to your sexuality or masculinity based on what beer you drink or don’t drink.
Just a hint.

It's not a real thing. We joke about it a little bit but that's it.

You can really just drink what you want.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Just a hint.

It's not a real thing. We joke about it a little bit but that's it.

You can really just drink what you want.

Maybe not to you, but it’s a very real thing to some people.

Jokes and stereotypes always have their origins in reality.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I don't like the use of the term toxic masculinity. The term is, as used by the woke community, clearly meant to be pejorative and broadly anti-male. What I find amusing is that toxic masculinity is "men are bad" and when someone is willing to entertain the idea of toxic femininity it is also "men are bad".

I don't need to teach my boys to be macho or tell them they can't play with a toy because it is for girls. But I also won't tolerate people vilifying them for just being boys. And there is plenty of that nonsense going around.

azbob

Honorary Master
I don't like the use of the term toxic masculinity. The term is, as used by the woke community, clearly meant to be pejorative and broadly anti-male.

Nope. Only certain types of males and not anti-male in general. Otherwise it would just be masculinity and not toxic masculinity.

Speaking on behalf of the local woke community in my capacity as chair[-]man[/-]person.

Mekon

Expert Member
After much thought and 8 or 11 windhoeks I came to the conclusion that real men do indeed drink real beer and fake men drink pink drinks.