AARTO Act just wants to suck money from South African motorists – JPSA

supersunbird

Honorary Master
As long as JPSA then offers better suggestions on how to get the f'king morons on the roads to drive better, which will only happen if it either costs them time and/or money.

ProfA

Honorary Master
As long as JPSA then offers better suggestions on how to get the f'king morons on the roads to drive better, which will only happen if it either costs them time and/or money.

No. If there was more visible traffic policing, that would go MUCH further that BS fines in the post from some idiot who hid in a bush with a speed camera.

Current traffic policing has NOTHING to do with road safety and everything to do with making money. That is the problem.

system32

Expert Member
I have a few suggestions:

1) We have plenty of road law.
Increasing penalties or withholding licenses won't help.
Police need to enforce the existing laws

2) Visible policing.
Instead of hiding in the bush taking photos, pull over and fine law breakers.

3) Scrap e-tolls that are inefficient at fee collection.
A R6b project that cost R22b for a road that taxpayers have already paid for.
Changing the road law to make users criminals for not paying for unjust etoll tax is plain wrong.

4) Enforce moving violation laws.

etc

Nether

Expert Member
Just wow

I've you are fined you are immediately assumed guilty and points will be deducted from your license and license disks etc are withheld from you.

Imagine someone dups your number plate....

This new change in the law will only encourage people to do illegal activities like this.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

2) Visible policing.

Changing the road law to make users criminals for not paying for unjust etoll tax is plain wrong.

etc

People just ignore the fines that will be issued when enforcing the existing laws, as can be seen on MyBB threads "I'll only pay if there is a summons". A point demerit system is needed where bad drivers can loose their licenses, and if yo udrive with a suspended license it must carry a very stiff punishment.

sreddi

2) Visible policing.

etc

also the escalating transaction fees - if all coporates charged transaction fees for their computer systems.

Eniigma

Expert Member
People just ignore the fines that will be issued when enforcing the existing laws, as can be seen on MyBB threads "I'll only pay if there is a summons". A point demerit system is needed where bad drivers can loose their licenses, and if yo udrive with a suspended license it must carry a very stiff punishment.

Too me that is just another symptom of the lack of enforcement. The whole system has deteriorated to such a point people know they can ignore things till the summons comes and there is a possibility or even probability that will never come.

If the fuzz stopped hiding behind the camera's and actually got in their cars and enforced the law and moving violations and those were followed up, things would be very different.

In Durban the metro cops sit in their van's with the lights on at certain busy intersections during peak traffic and do sweat fark all. Their visible policing does nothing, the only thing visible is the glow from their cell phones as they sit and play with those rather than do anything. Guys still go through red lights or jump the green etc right in front of these guys who do nothing.

ProfA

Honorary Master

So people enforcing their RIGHTS, and correctly waiting on a summons, should mean a backdoor law should be created where you don't get your day in court if you want it. Are you reading what you type before you hit the submit button?

eg2505

Honorary Master
so the laws like AARTO are just meant to generate funds?

so in that case why dont we have a LOT more speed cameras?
and why isnt the ANC very happy to convert the etoll ganties to speed cameras?

I mean are they really after peoples safety or wallets on certain things?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So people enforcing their RIGHTS, and correctly waiting on a summons, should mean a backdoor law should be created where you don't get your day in court if you want it. Are you reading what you type before you hit the submit button?

I'm tired of bad drivers and nothing being done about bad drivers. And you suggest it has to be left up to our useless slow overburdened justice system?

AARTO is not perfect and they must get then just force them to fix some of the issues. and not totally scrap it.

ProfA

Honorary Master
I'm tired of bad drivers and nothing being done about bad drivers. And you suggest it has to be left up to our useless slow overburdened justice system?

AARTO is not perfect and they must get then just force them to fix some of the issues. and not totally scrap it.

EVERYONE, me included is ****ing fed-up with **** driving I experience EVERY day, MULTIPLE times per day. Sorry, and I say this with respect, but your solution of backdoor laws where you are presumed guilty, get no day in court is asinine. Especially considering that the people who will be administering these new backdoor laws, are the same douche-bags who ARE 100% responsible for the current situation.

If you think for a second, that backdoor laws will even remotely solve the problem, you are sorely mistaken in my opinion. See this for what it is. A revenue generating exercise. That is it. And it will only affect the suckers who are scared of the law and pay e-tolls. Do you honestly think the taxi who jumped a red robot this morning and cut me off will give a ****? Really?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
EVERYONE, me included is ****ing fed-up with **** driving I experience EVERY day, MULTIPLE times per day. Sorry, and I say this with respect, but your solution of backdoor laws where you are presumed guilty, get no day in court is asinine. Especially considering that the people who will be administering these new backdoor laws, are the same douche-bags who ARE 100% responsible for the current situation.

If you think for a second, that backdoor laws will even remotely solve the problem, you are sorely mistaken in my opinion. See this for what it is. A revenue generating exercise. That is it. And it will only affect the suckers who are scared of the law and pay e-tolls. Do you honestly think the taxi who jumped a red robot this morning and cut me off will give a ****? Really?

Spot-on as always ambrose1g... pity I couldn't give you more rep today!

supersunbird

Honorary Master

And if I say the volumes are too high for a court system to handle, your solution is...?

ProfA

Honorary Master
And if I say the volumes are too high for a court system to handle, your solution is...?

My solution is in my very first post in this thread sir. Visible traffic policing. Enforcing the laws already in place. Fines for moving violations instead of posted fines for 2km over the speed limit.

Makes my blood boil to see metro pigs who are obese eating KFC in their state cars at the robots and watching other people drive over the red robot in front of them, and no f*ks are given.

The solution is NOT to milk the tax payer even more by asinine backdoor laws which infringe on your right to redress and your day in court.

I would be happy just to see a metro pig sitting at a random robot each day catching the robot jumpers.

And regarding the court system volumes being too high....:wtf: are you seriously saying that because the courts cannot keep up, the solution is to assume guilt and just hand out punishment? You seem like a smart guy, but that is really stupid reasoning. Do you realise the power you are giving the state and fundamental rights you are taking away from citizens, you included???? And yes, I know the response...."but I don't break traffic laws so have nothing to worry about". That is an even sillier and short-sighted response. EVERYONE is entitled by law and the constitution to a thing called due process. Hence my earlier comment about people waiting for summons....IT IS WHAT THEY ARE FULLY WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS TO DO. A person who just pays a fine with no second thought is an imbecile. It is your right and your duty to make sure the state follows due process.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yes. Privatise law enforcement. Make it in a business's financial interest to fine people. That will solve all our problems.

isnt that what ADT and many security companies already do?
and outsurance with the pointsman project, do a job that they should be doing, but aren't

R13...

Honorary Master
My solution is in my very first post in this thread sir. Visible traffic policing. Enforcing the laws already in place. Fines for moving violations instead of posted fines for 2km over the speed limit.

Makes my blood boil to see metro pigs who are obese eating KFC in their state cars at the robots and watching other people drive over the red robot in front of them, and no f*ks are given.

Agree with fines instead of turning everyone potential criminals but with the added proviso that fines are to be settled on the spot - well not on the directly as that would just lead to risks of violent robberies and corruption. Rather take the person away for payment as they do with outstanding warrants. It'd serve to inconvenience those found in violation and be a better deterrent than handing out a fine a person is free to ignore on some I'll only pay when you catch me routine. I've driven in some African countries and some of them have that in place for all drivers (not just foreigners like here) - they take you to the police station and you settle up on the stop. Doesn't stop corruption from unscrupulous officers who try to solicit bribes from foreigners on arbitrary violations but it'd be a start if we implemented that here. And if you are unable to settle up on the spot then you leave the vehicle in the custody nice traffic department until you can find the cash to pay up.