About to buy used double cab but which one?

oscarlets

Hi everyone

Please help me choose reliable double cab between R80k and R140k

I drive a small reliable honda jazz. Car gives me no problems. As a person grows there comes a time when you need a bakkie of some sort to pick this and that.

I need double cab so I can also accommodate my small family.

I have my eye on 2011 amaroks, I just love that car. I'm not a fan of ford ranger for its always on the list of stolen cars.

Isuzu I hear the parts can make you park it for months.

I'm left with amarok and nissan hardbody DC. Im not interested in Toyota for its high on the list target for being stolen.

Is amarok reliable? What's the service kit like? Maintenance?

Thanks in advance.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Hardbody or Navara? A hardbody is a farm instrument by today's standards and I speak under correction, but it's heavy on fuel.

People worry too much about parts. My dad drove an Isuzu KB280 for years (13?) and never had a day's trouble.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Not sure which Nissan Hardbody you are looking at, the newer ones are death traps. Look at the N-Cap ratings for safety.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
For that (relatively low) budget I would recommend a good condition Mitsubishi Triton or Nissan Navara, not Hardbody, either one of those 2 will go a long way. You will get more, value wise, from these 2 Japs vs the German Amarok.

Triton would be the 3.2 diesel & Navara would be the 2.5 diesel.

oscarlets

I forgot about mitsubishi Triton. Thanks. I'll check it out. So it's a no for amarok? I was ready to risk it all.

I see Toyota Hilux kzte 3.0 2001 but it looks old model

oscarlets

For that (relatively low) budget I would recommend a good condition Mitsubishi Triton or Nissan Navara, not Hardbody, either one of those 2 will go a long way. You will get more, value wise, from these 2 Japs vs the German Amarok.

Triton would be the 3.2 diesel & Navara would be the 2.5 diesel.
Mitsubishi. Plus it's Japanese. In interested.

oscarlets

High milage hilux d4d yes, and will still work fine even.

I would go for Navara 4.0 v6, pulls very nicely, but your wallet will hurt with feul consumption
Navara I'm worried about fuel consumption. Currently on a jazz I get 5.8/100km and I'm ready for sth around 8/100

boanergesza1

At that price point you are getting a high km and first generation bakkie.
I assume you are going 4x4 (since this is the 4x4 forum)
Just for credentials, I have owned a Ranger, two amaroks (a 2013 and a 2016) a Jeep Grand Cherokee (the model before the latest one) a 2010 D-4D Hilux and a X-Trail 2.2 diesel.

The Amaroks are great vehicles on and off road. I towed my conqueror safari to Three Provinces with it on many occasions with only one issue, a freak accident that took my steering arm with it. For every day driving they beat many of the competition hands down, it drives like a car. The lack of low range on the auto is an annoyance but it's hardly a problem, since you just change your driving style. It's a bit low so getting a propper lift would be my first project. I have had no timing belt issues, and only a coolant issue on my first amarok ( it lost water and I never figured out why, never happened again). They are big and roomy inside, which also means they are big and roomy outside so you pick up a lot of dings and scrapes in car parks. Interior is very VW, so it's bland but very ergonomic. These days you find a lot of aftermarket accessories for them, so you are just as well off now as with a Ranger or Hilux.

The Ranger and the Hilux are trucks, very good trucks, but trucks nonetheless. You immediately notice the difference if you drove a amarok. The older Rangers and Hilux's were decidedly work machines and interiors showed that. Hard plastics and durable switches. Honestly I like it that way. I drove my hilux around the country(literally around the coastline) with not one issue . Both my X-Trail and Hilux had a unichip in from SAC (which I wouldnt do again btw, a good remap is better)

If you are mechanically inclined check all the normal things when buying(oil- and water- levels and colour), brake pad wear and listen out for strange noises on the test drive, especially from the turbo. Be sure to engage the 4x4 and test all the functions to make sure they work. Check the service history and make sure it has had its services at the propper times. At that price though don't expect dealer only serviced.
If not so inclined get it tested by AA or dekra.

And finally, to sway your decision here was mine on its way to an adventure
f95eef698b39fe066f4f2d745c6a030d.jpg

oscarlets

At that price point you are getting a high km and first generation bakkie.
I assume you are going 4x4 (since this is the 4x4 forum)
Just for credentials, I have owned a Ranger, two amaroks (a 2013 and a 2016) a Jeep Grand Cherokee (the model before the latest one) a 2010 D-4D Hilux and a X-Trail 2.2 diesel.

The Amaroks are great vehicles on and off road. I towed my conqueror safari to Three Provinces with it on many occasions with only one issue, a freak accident that took my steering arm with it. For every day driving they beat many of the competition hands down, it drives like a car. The lack of low range on the auto is an annoyance but it's hardly a problem, since you just change your driving style. It's a bit low so getting a propper lift would be my first project. I have had no timing belt issues, and only a coolant issue on my first amarok ( it lost water and I never figured out why, never happened again). They are big and roomy inside, which also means they are big and roomy outside so you pick up a lot of dings and scrapes in car parks. Interior is very VW, so it's bland but very ergonomic. These days you find a lot of aftermarket accessories for them, so you are just as well off now as with a Ranger or Hilux.

The Ranger and the Hilux are trucks, very good trucks, but trucks nonetheless. You immediately notice the difference if you drove a amarok. The older Rangers and Hilux's were decidedly work machines and interiors showed that. Hard plastics and durable switches. Honestly I like it that way. I drove my hilux around the country(literally around the coastline) with not one issue . Both my X-Trail and Hilux had a unichip in from SAC (which I wouldnt do again btw, a good remap is better)

If you are mechanically inclined check all the normal things when buying(oil- and water- levels and colour), brake pad wear and listen out for strange noises on the test drive, especially from the turbo. Be sure to engage the 4x4 and test all the functions to make sure they work. Check the service history and make sure it has had its services at the propper times. At that price though don't expect dealer only serviced.
If not so inclined get it tested by AA or dekra.

And finally, to sway your decision here was mine on its way to an adventure
f95eef698b39fe066f4f2d745c6a030d.jpg
Wow! You just made me fall in love with amarok. Plus I don't want it as everyday car. Maybe twice thrice a week. I see them Amaroks selling at R160k on auto trader and private sellers Willing to go for R130-150k

I just want that dc and you gave me a reason. And I don't want it for adventure. Just as back up car for when I need to pick sth as I'm about to start renovation project here at home.

oscarlets

And yes when I attend site meetings and doing province to province traveling. Gauteng, Limpopo, KZN.

Calkem

For your budget your best bet would be a Nissan NP300 or Hardbody. They really good, cheap and as tough as nails. The police use them as a default bakkie, and they run over 400 000km. Ofcourse, make sure you look at the vehicles history (not just the service history)

oscarlets

For your budget your best bet would be a Nissan NP300 or Hardbody. They really good, cheap and as tough as nails. The police use them as a default bakkie, and they run over 400 000km. Ofcourse, make sure you look at the vehicles history (not just the service history)
Hmm true. It's a police go to dc. Lol so Amarok is a no? I can just imagine driving from Gauteng to KZN in a np300

boanergesza1

What was the ncap safety rating on those again

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Or maybe don't get a bakkie, get a smaller SUV/non-girly crossover that's less of a target, lighter on fuel, more comfortable, able to go off-tarmac-road and can still transport a family of four and all their luggage :p

Unless you really need a bakkie there's no point. I don't know OPs situation but here in the North if JHB we have so many Fourways Rangers (with their Raptor packs!) that never see a dirt road and only transports a single tiny penile vessel at a time.

/runs

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Can one even get a reliable bakkie for that price?
Definitely, bakkies are reliable well into very high mileage, especially since people don't use bakkies as hard as they used to be, there are bakkies out there that has never seen a gravel road in their whole existence.

Last edited: