Absa ends Sharks sponsorship

F

Fudzy

They refused to accomodate the request by the Sharks for some minor design changes that would have made it more suited to Rugby.

Like what? The biggest problem I see is the lack of corporate boxes.

Jola

Honorary Master
The biggest problem I see is the lack of corporate boxes.

Bingo !

That's where rugby makes most of its money, so it makes the stadium unsuitable.

This was discussed before the stadium was built - so nobody should cry if the Sharks don't want to move.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Like what? The biggest problem I see is the lack of corporate boxes.

The stadium was built with an adaptable design. It had about 70 000 seats for the World Cup. It has been downscaled to 54 000 now. The design allows it to be expanded to 80 000 for the Olympics. They won't build more boxes in the third tier yet, as they will need that space for added seats to use Moses Mabhida as the main Olympic stadium.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Looks like the WPRU and FSRU are also looking for new sponsers:

Cape Town - With the end of the local rugby season in sight there is still no clarity about who will be the new main sponsors of Western Province and Free State Cheetahs next year.

Vodacom’s sponsorship of both unions is running out, while the Sharks also announced on Tuesday that Absa decided to end an association of 11 years as stadium naming rights-holder.

This means that the Shark Tank will be the Absa Stadium for the last time in Saturday’s Currie Cup final between the Sharks and WP.

“The termination of the sponsorship means that The Sharks will now be in the hunt to find a new sponsor ahead of next year’s Super Rugby Tournament,” the Sharks said in a statement.

Sport24 understands the decision on the stadium sponsorship points to a shift in emphasis in Absa’s strategy with regards to sponsorships. Absa are going to sponsor the Springboks from next year, while they also sponsor the Currie Cup competition.

Meanwhile, Free State Rugby Union president Harold Verster told Sport24 that they are close to finalising a new sponsor.

“It’s just about finalised, but still confidential,” said Verster.

He also emphasised that it was difficult to obtain sponsorship in the current market.

“There are a number of renewals in the market. The economy is tough and companies also invested a lot of money in soccer.”

Meanwhile, the Cape rugby community is looking forward to the unveiling of a new sponsorship at the Stormers and WP. Rob Wagner, managing director of WP Rugby (Pty) Ltd, did not return calls on the issue on Tuesday.

While there have been rumours of companies that WP have been negotiating with, no announcement has been forthcoming.

However, WP Rugby (Pty) Ltd board chairperson Pat Kuhn said that he was positive that good news was around the corner.

“We’re busy with it, but nothing has been finalised. We’re confident that things will happen,” said Kuhn.

News24

I really won't miss a name like Vodacom Park, Free State Stadium is just fine. I'd also love the teams not to have stupid sponser tags at the begining.

SEF

Expert Member
It's a south african thing, by the looks of it.
NZ, England don't have sponsor names as part of their teams.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
It's a south african thing, by the looks of it.
NZ, England don't have sponsor names as part of their teams.

Well stadium's are named after sponsers all over the World. I know the Melbourne Rebels have a team naming sponser.

Adrenalin

Expert Member
Hmmm.

Kings Park it is then.

I still think that if they really wanted to move the rugby to Moses Mabidha (spelling) they would. It's like saying "Goverment, don't do this because a,b,c" but if they want that piece of land, they going to get it... let's see what happens. I hope nothing does, I like my bronze season tickets alot :)

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
Since this is the last real Currie Cup competition thanks to the extended Super 15 I'm not surprised.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Hehe, I have a friend who is very 'tinfoil hat' like and he reckons Absa tried to sway the outcome of the CC final Provinces way by ending their sponsorship on such an inopportune day and throwing the Sharks off their game ....... I just lol'ed :D

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Eish..... if they tried to do that, their clever boys are clearly not as clever as they think :D...

We've always hated ABSA Stadium as a name for Kings Park... so to get the real name back is a bloody epic win for us.

DJ...

Banned
It has and always will be Kings Park to any South African, regardless of who the sponsor is. Mr Price are loving this, I bet ya...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
What would REALLY piss ABSA off is if Mr Price took up the Naming Rights sponsorship... and then officially handed over Kings Park as the name so that the city can get its heritge back from the evil stupid bank... :p

SEF

Expert Member
Not sure why SA sponsors are so arrogant to have naming rights to stadiums and teams. Vodacom did the perfect thing to rename Securicor Loftus back to Loftus Versfeld, and not Vodacom Loftus or anything similiar. They set the example for other sponsors.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Not sure why SA sponsors are so arrogant to have naming rights to stadiums and teams. Vodacom did the perfect thing to rename Securicor Loftus back to Loftus Versfeld, and not Vodacom Loftus or anything similiar. They set the example for other sponsors.

Set an example? They renamed Free State Stadium to Vodacom Park.

And it's not just SA companies that have naming rights to stadiums. This happens all over the world.

ponder

Honorary Master
It has and always will be Kings Park to any South African, regardless of who the sponsor is. Mr Price are loving this, I bet ya...

+1 The only people that refer to it as ABSA are the commentators but to the rest of us it's Kings Park.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
+1 The only people that refer to it as ABSA are the commentators but to the rest of us it's Kings Park.

No durbanites I know have ever called it Absa stadium. We'd be like , "What? Where?"