Absa Internet banking outage - web and mobile app offline

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Absa Internet banking outage

Absa's online and mobile app banking platforms are down in South Africa.

Customers who tried to log in via online banking were greeted with a "System offline" message.

"Our systems are temporarily offline. Don't worry, we are busy working on it and will be up and running shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience," the message stated.

eg2505

Honorary Master
almost every month one banks internet/EFT systems goes offline,

why is that? does anybody actually know?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
almost every month one banks internet/EFT systems goes offline,

why is that? does anybody actually know?
SB's one is part of the design AFAIK, that's why they pick the late/early morning hours.

In regards to everyone else, no clue. FNB keeps annoying me, something like 3/5 tries using Forex usually have the system offline, at least by them it's bits and pieces that are offline rather than the entire system, though they did have that CC bug (no money in account no matter how much you had).

eg2505

Honorary Master
SB's one is part of the design AFAIK, that's why they pick the late/early morning hours.

In regards to everyone else, no clue. FNB keeps annoying me, something like 3/5 tries using Forex usually have the system offline, at least by them it's bits and pieces that are offline rather than the entire system, though they did have that CC bug (no money in account no matter how much you had).
so it can happen to anybody, or its unique to us in SA because of reasons?
just want to understand why it happens with such regularity locally,

are we just bad at running/designing/maintaining Bank IT systems in general, or is there another Legitimate reason.

because it seems to happen almost every month end, another bank just dies.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
so it can happen to anybody, or its unique to us in SA because of reasons?
just want to understand why it happens with such regularity locally,

are we just bad at running/designing/maintaining Bank IT systems in general, or is there another Legitimate reason.

because it seems to happen almost every month end, another bank just dies.
Pretty much all banks have issues at times, South Africa is a bit more unique as I think it was one of the first, if not the first place where there was a central, automated clearing house, BankServ.
So South African electronic banking infrastructure is probably among the oldest in the world, wasn't really designed for instant transfer, and it's basically a case of all those systems over time needing to be rewritten.

It's mostly a case of banks modernizing, South Africa with apps etc., was actually quite ahead of the curve, not sure about it anymore though as e.g. here in Europe my bank also allows payment via app, QR code payments, has a OCR system to read account numbers, etc., and can't really tell how "good" the systems are, just that they work fine and I haven't yet had an issue of downtime in ~3 months, while my FNB one has been down a couple of times in regards to Forex, not anything else.

ilikepi

Absa's app goes down fairly often coming from someone who regularly gets greeted with an error message lol

Louis72

Expert Member
Seems to be coming back to life slowly but surely. Payments starting to move again.