Absa Ipad App - not secure

ElementZero

So , last week i decided to download the ABSA ipad app. I had to add a new beneficiary so decided to use the app. Now from my normal internet banking when i add a new beneficiary i will be sent an RVN code to my cell to add and then when i make the first payment i will be sent a TVN code to confirm, all this to add more security.

Now to my surprise when i added a new beneficiary with the app , i was never sent an rvn or tvn and was still able to add the new beneficiary and make a payment. I tried calling the Absa fraud line but after min being on hold and then getting cut off , i never tried calling again.

Anyone else experience as above or is it just me ?

Hobbs zn

have loaded the app but have not tried it as yet...now maybe i will not try it out at all. Nice one absa...

R13...

Honorary Master
Once authorised the app only needs your bank account and PIN. It is the same as some stealing your bank card and PIN. Don't see why it is insecure. The person would need the device, bank account number and your PIN to do anything.

LizGroen

If the iPad's sim number is the one your bank account is registered to, it wouldn't need to send a verification number. I've been using the mobile banking through Safari on my iPhone for 2 years and have never had issues.

I do however have a problem with the ABSA App on both my iPhone and iPad as I've got like 400 beneficiaries and the little scroling wheel is cr*ppy and unusable, and there is no search function for beneficiary names.

shanezn

Expert Member
"ABSA - Not Secure" would have been a more apt thread title :D

tRoN

Executive Member
If the iPad's sim number is the one your bank account is registered to, it wouldn't need to send a verification number. I've been using the mobile banking through Safari on my iPhone for 2 years and have never had issues.

I do however have a problem with the ABSA App on both my iPhone and iPad as I've got like 400 beneficiaries and the little scroling wheel is cr*ppy and unusable, and there is no search function for beneficiary names.

I agree with that pathetic scroll wheel...takes too farking long and lags.
One workaround for now is to go to "view payment beneficiaries" and then do a payment from there

EDIT updated app now gets rid of the scroll wheel

Last edited:

_kabal_

Expert Member
Fnb app is the same. Why on earth would I want OTP sent to my phone while using my phone