• Total voters

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Have you seen ABSA's internet banking? No ways they could manage an app. :p

Cicero

Expert Member
Have you seen ABSA's internet banking? No ways they could manage an app. :p
hahahahaha

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought..."Go figure!". ABSA are ridiculous, and I'm ridiculous for being with them too.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Any bets on Blapsa going down again end of this month? :D

Then that app is not going to be of any help :D

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
While I am with ABSA and really annoyed at their high charges and lack of innovation, I have to add I hate apps - all of them.

I would much rather have a bookmark that I can open and use a secure web connection than install yet another app just to do something simple.

It seem so many companies are have an obsession with getting their logo into your device's menu. I would much rather see them make better mobi sites using html5.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
While I am with ABSA and really annoyed at their high charges and lack of innovation, I have to add I hate apps - all of them.

I would much rather have a bookmark that I can open and use a secure web connection than install yet another app just to do something simple.

It seem so many companies are have an obsession with getting their logo into your device's menu. I would much rather see them make better mobi sites using html5.
I agree with you here.

It is quicker (and simpler) to use HTML than some sort of app. Besides, what exactly does that app do behind the scenes? :erm:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Apps are a security risk. I prefer to do my banking on a laptop/PC with a browser.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Most of those apps are built using cross platform compilers that make calls to web services - so you gain nothing. It is a security risk as many already pointed out. Some UIs are down right ugly like those using the Symbian web runtime api.

Apps are meant for games and utilities that make use of your phones hardware. For simply pushing bits of user interaction to a central server nothing beats the web running on an SSL connection.

R13...

Honorary Master
It does suck that Absa's site isn't tablet friendly.

Cicero

Expert Member
I like the FNB app, slick and smooth. So I do see merit in an app.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You can make something equally slick and smooth if you follow proper web standards and have a responsive layout that makes good use of screen real estate. Add to that the built in security mechanisms of the browser and the cross platform nature of web apps and you have something pretty good. But my guess is it will take awhile for corporates to get to terms with that concept.

Allin

Expert Member
What's the point of having internet banking (apps included) if your system is either in crawl or freeze mode at the important time of the month. Maria managed to bring the railways to a halt, seems she is succeeding to do the same at Absa

tohir

I like the FNB app, slick and smooth. So I do see merit in an app.
Agreed. Standard Bank really makes feel like an idiot. Where do you go to download the app? I've scrolled up and down this page, but cant find it. A list of all the features, no info on how to get it. Fail!

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
You can make something equally slick and smooth if you follow proper web standards and have a responsive layout that makes good use of screen real estate. Add to that the built in security mechanisms of the browser and the cross platform nature of web apps and you have something pretty good. But my guess is it will take awhile for corporates to get to terms with that concept.
Yeah but when I'm on a phone or a tablet, I don't want to go into a browser, go to the URL, login, maybe zoom in and out a few times, etc. Browsing on a mobile device (even mobile versions of a site) is meant for just that - browsing. It's a pain to try and do anything remotely serious on it.

A banking app consolidates the most commonly-used functions, is more user friendly and there is a lower chance of making a mistake because your finger touched the wrong button.

Niren_M

Agreed. Standard Bank really makes feel like an idiot. Where do you go to download the app? I've scrolled up and down this page, but cant find it. A list of all the features, no info on how to get it. Fail!
If using Android, Std Bank app is available on the Google Play store. Just search for "Standard Bank"

whatwhat

Executive Member
You are an idiot. iPhone apps come from the AppStore and Android apps from the Google Play store.